Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Retired Moderator

What Song brings back memories

What song evokes the strongest memories for you Smile

I'm The Happiest Girl In The Whole USA, by Donna Fargo I believe
It stuck in my head when I was little and it seemed like I was the happiest (boy) in the whole USA
0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

1964--Shangri La   Still feel like a weepy teenager full of angst whenever I hear it.
Kudos
Views
0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

In Response to Re: What Song brings back memories:
                              Do you Remember the group The Diamonds?  The Diamonds..   Performances 47 years apart FYI, the lead singer of the Diamonds is also the father of TOM HANKS.     If you were alive in 1957, and old enough to enjoy Rock and Roll, you will probably remember the group, "The Diamonds" who had just launched their super hit "Little Darlin' ". For you that are too young to remember - it was a time when the performers were happy, enjoying themselves, respecting their fans, dressed appropriately and their lyrics could be understood. They did not feel obligated to scream, eat the microphone, mumble inaudible lyrics or trash the set.   In 1957, The Diamonds had a hit with "Little Darlin". 47 years later, they were requested to perform at Atlantic City ... This link leads to both performances.   Watch the first one then scroll down for the new one 47 years later.   http://www.flixxy.com/the-diamonds-little-darlin-1957-2004..htm
Posted by louisie

Sorry, no--not Tom Hanks' father.  This is an urban legend, easily checked out online. 
Honored Social Butterfly

Little Darlin' by the Diamonds was my favorite song at that time, I still have the 45 rpm.

Kudos
Views
0 Kudos

Kathys Clown by the Everly Brothers.  Was going out with my first love Kathy at the time and it became our theme song.
0 Kudos

That's a no brainer.  Earth Angel by The Flamingos.  Need I say more?
Contributor

Kudos
Views
0 Kudos
Contributor

Great song but actually it was recorded by The Penguins. The Flamingos were famous for "I Only Have Eyes For You".
0 Kudos

Cry by Johnnie Ray. 1951-2

Stranger in Paradise from Kismet 1955
Contributor

earth angel---the penguins. "i only have eyes for you', the flamingos
Kudos
Views
0 Kudos

AFTER THE LOVIN  BY ENGLEBERT HUMBERDINK
0 Kudos

Stardust -  stil runs a shiver up and down my spine
0 Kudos

I Will Always Love You, by Dolly Parton. For personal reasons 1970-71 was a very difficult time. To this day when I hear her sing that song it brings back everything as tho it was yesterday.
0 Kudos

Dolly Pardon singing Rocking Chair. This song says it all.
0 Kudos
Contributor

M'appari, sung by Richard Tucker, it's one of those songs that makes you stop and listen, and your glad you did.
0 Kudos

And they call it puppy love,brings back memories when I was 16 and very much in love

n Response to What Song brings back memories:
What song evokes the strongest memories for you
Posted by AARPGuide

Once upon a time
Once when you were mine
I remember skies
Reflected in your eyes
I wonder where you are
I wonder if you
Think about me
Once upon a time
"In your wildest dreams"  by the Moody Blues. Brings tears to my eyes everytime I hear it.
Contributor

Love this one also.  Now that I lost most of my hearing, doesn't sound the same, but evokes those warm emotions.

Honored Social Butterfly

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Regular Social Butterfly

Alone Again (Naturally) by
Gilbert O'Sullivan

My first summer job was walking around in the hot Tulsa sun hanging advertisements on people's front doorknobs. As miserable as that might sound, it was actually very peaceful and beautiful... and during a time when things were looking very positive. I had just met my future (& now present!) husband about 6 months before that. This song was constantly playing on the radio all day as I walked through these idyllic neighborhoods. I guess I never really paid attention to how depressing the words actually are, but the melody & instrumentation & vocal sound just really hit that sweet spot in my brain with an amazingly calming, positive effect even to this day. When I hear it now, I'm right back there feeling the warm sun on my skin & feeling those same emotions. I really hope that Gilbert O'Sullivan has positive feelings now too when he hears his song, if it was in any way autobiographical. At the very least, I hope he made some good royalties instead of getting ripped off by record companies, like so many other songwriters have!

Trusted Contributor

Led Zeppelin - Stairway To Heaven 

This one touches me so much that I want to have it played at my wake when I start up that stairway.

Info Seeker

0 Kudos
Info Seeker

Just Walk Away Renee by The Left Bank:

Your name and mine inside a heart upon a wall
Still finds a way to haunt me, though they're so small

0 Kudos

AS LONG AS I HAVE YOU BY ELVIS. THIS WAS THE FIRST SONG MY LATE  WIFE AND I DANCED TO IN 2001.
Contributor

When A Man Loves a Woman  Percy Sledge.

Honored Social Butterfly

Wow  so many great answers and I love your stories that go with them !   thank you all for sharing !

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
0 Kudos
Trusted Social Butterfly

I remember the song by Chicago "Old Days". It's very nostalgic..."old days, good times I remember..."

0 Kudos

Put Your Head On My Shoulder

Put your head on my Shoulder               
Contributor

Love that song - and everything else Paul Anka recorded
0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP