CLOSE ×

Search

MORNING ROLL CALL July - September CLOSED

Honored Social Butterfly

MORNING ROLL CALL July - September CLOSED

MORNING ROLL CALL July  September 2021
CLOSED
USE OCTOBER  DECEMBER 2021

Good morning everyone on this FRIDAY morning July 2nd, 2021. 

Posted by Dave the Lighthouse Keeper
Honored Social Butterfly

Good morning everyone on this Sunday morning Augusts 22nd, 2021.  We are expecting a warm and sunny day with a high of 77*. Hoping everyone has a blessed day.

My thoughts today are with those on the Northeast shores of the US. 

Hoping everyone will check in this morning with us as to your plans to stay safe. Our coffee is ready as we await breakfast and the start of the CBS NEWS SUNDAY MORNING show. 

FB_IMG_1626613765508.jpg

FB_IMG_1621170990771.jpg

FB_IMG_1627746267932.jpg

My favorite sunrise photo from the past.

FB_IMG_1622985283201.jpg

FB_IMG_1624194095993.jpg

FB_IMG_1621777947611.jpg

FB_IMG_1621171014643.jpg

FB_IMG_1620657296461.jpg

FB_IMG_1621170979602.jpg

Honored Social Butterfly

@Frozenoem , you have half a wheel of cheddar?! Cheddar cheese is my comfort food!  The sharper the better.  Yellow.  White.  Not picky.  I remember back when I was working up in SNP, at the end of the season, we were 'packing up' the lodge for the winter and I scored an entire unopened log of Gouda.  It barely made it through the winter, I put a serious dent in it. 😋🧀 

LMAO @ French toast. 😆

My county moved right from Substantial to High (as has most of state now).  Masks been pulled back out and worn dutifully, but looks like Virginia is headed for that surge in Sept. since I have noticed much fewer people are heeding the recommendations. 😟

Speaking of worrisome trees, I had started to park my truck further down the driveway out from under a bunch of trees including the one that dumped a branch on my windshield and shattered it.  The other night after a rainstorm, I noticed another branch had come down and landed right behind my truck.  Whew! 😌 Would have been a direct hit.  

Honored Social Butterfly

@MsStretch 

To be honest the wheel was barter system in April 2020, someone needed their HDD working and I missed cheese🤣.Score - Maine made with a side of Vermont.

How much for recovery and do you take like value, sure can you carry it in👍Or do I need hand truck.🤣

I have been enjoying for awhile, still trying to keep my New Years resolution .

I’m blaming our spike on tourists and disbelievers, aka 45’ers.

Froze

And yes, after long days/nights, I'd still like to swing these hunks of glass , plastic and silicon against the nearest wall Come on retirement!
Kudos
Views
Honored Social Butterfly

@Frozenoem , yep, Henri is first direct hit on New England since Bob in '91.  Definitely time to batten and hunker down. Currently, hurricane & tropical storms warnings just south of you, but whole coast will likely get battered.  Must be a free-for-all up there, particularly in NY, CT, MA, everyone trying to stock up on canned goods and yes, TP (again... 🙄) and get their gas tanks filled and generators, too.  Be safe and check in.

@catwoman500 , new addition coming along.  I bet it can't be done soon enough for you though. 

Anyone who is choosing to gearing up to get their boosters?  At least, it shouldn't be the trial it was the first time around.  Virginia has announced they are prepping and will have enough vaccines. I will be due first of November.  According to the latest data, VA is expecting a large surge of cases in September which could change according to how many get their first jabs and wear masks. 🤞😷

Everyone, stay high and dry and safe.

Honored Social Butterfly

@MsStretch 

As of today no TP shortages, just milk and bread, somebodies eating a load of French toast. Same requirement for surviving blizzards. Still have TP, eggs, cheese (half a wheel of cheddar), propane for grill and camp stove, battery packs charged, and looking forward to Sunday, Monday unless Henri heads West into the mountains.Even Re-connected my landline 📞 phone.

I’m scheduled for December booster, November flu shot. Great news I’ll be older , different at risk population.🤣

My county has become substantial risk, masks being washed. Picked up another 100 surgical from Radio Shack, we still have one next town over.

Might use my new and improved Bluetti 2000 watt battery pack, with ac/dc/solar and wind turbine charger.Or else it’s gas and long extension cord from neighbors 20Kw Welder generator.

The only thing I find worrisome is survival of 9’ across Pine  in back yard (old growth) favorite 🌲 tree.

Downloading podcasts and transferring tunes to iPhone for sanity and sounds of silence.

Froze 

And yes, after long days/nights, I'd still like to swing these hunks of glass , plastic and silicon against the nearest wall Come on retirement!
Honored Social Butterfly

Yesterday, we had a severe storm alert and the trees were doing their mad dance.  I stepped out for a second to batten down all blow-aways and the wind felt mah-velous.  Then, back inside to hunker down.  Weather map on my WeatherBug app showed a big blue splot with nasty yellow and orange areas moving in for a direct hit.  Then the rain came.

And... it was over.  A few angry drops and gone.  Done.  Those clouds had skirted right around us.  Not even enough to get anything very wet.  Enough wind to scatter branches and twigs and other annoying debris around, but it must've blown the rain right outta here.

Had to go to the dentist on Tuesday.  My dentist had moved from her close, very convenient location to a office complex further away on a busy thoroughfare. ☹ She actually moved into partnership with a couple of other dentists.  First of all, I couldn't find the office.  I pulled in this large complex with mostly unoccupied buildings and drove around the parking lots and saw no signs or numbers and finally had to call them.  I was in a upper parking lot up from their location.  Of course I was. 🙄  It went downhill from there.  I walked into the office with it's very small waiting room and chairs scrunched next to each other.  'Masks required' sign on door, but no one at the desk had one on. Had to do paperwork, since my first time at that facility, but really no place to sit since patients were in every other chair.  Sat in a chair facing the others (about 4' away) and twisted to the side (which isn't easy when the chair has arms).  Now I realize since I last went, the vaccine is now widely available.  HOWEVER, it is now recommended that even the vaccinated should wear masks and take appropriate precautions in areas of substantial and high transmission and my county moved right from substantial to high.  I did the paperwork and some young woman had walked in sans mask and was jibberjabbering away with the women at the desk.  I waited for her to finish, so I could go up to hand it in, not wanting to get in her 'line of fire'.  But seeing how she showed no signs of slowing down, I finally stepped forward and stretched the paperwork towards the desk and returned to my chair and sideways position.

I kept taking a deep breath and trying to zen out, but I was freaking out.  When I finally saw my dentist, I just said, "Why?"  Absolutely no protocols at this new place.  I realize the CDC recommendations just came out, but a dentist office should be on top of it.  

Anyway, I've run off at the keyboard.  Thanks for letting me vent. 😊

Trusted Social Butterfly

black cats Friday the 13th.jpg

@MsStretch ...oh holy cow what an uncomfortable position for you. That just doesn't seem right at all. 😾

@Frozenoem ...I couldn't be a "Mainah"...I'd never dream of snow! 😹

Hope Friday the 13th was good for everyone, and no problems were encountered.

Recognized Social Butterfly

A hot week last week, but only the second hot week of this lovely summer.  Seems to be behind us with no 90s in the next 2 weeks.   The storm in the gulf will probably bring some rain.  All is well otherwise.

Cataract surgery on the right eye next week.  Not really ready for this one as I can see pretty well  but want to do it before the move. 

Honored Social Butterfly

@LaDolceVita 

Not to worry about surgery if you have a good doctor.When mine were done, it was one per week.

Still found my self reaching for glasses that I no longer needed if I went out to walk the dogs.

Just keep the welders goggles or sunglasses handy for the first couple of months. Everything was so much brighter.

@RosemaryF433825 

Cataract surgery was easy for me, I was out. Spent the night after at Marriott for early morning exam by surgeon, and hiding from sunshine like a vampire. 

The great news was after drops ended vision was 20/30, was capable of pulling all eyecups off 35mm  and other cameras (no eyeglasses required).

Easiest analogy for photographer it was like pushing the ISO’s for brightness at night.🤣

@catwoman500

@MsStretch 

We had the storms roll through yesterday, it’s still muddy and puddles everywhere but, comfy👍.

Nothing blew away in wind or thunder storms, the joy of pressure treated tables and chairs - heavy.

Froze

Trusted Social Butterfly

Hi there, Porch Peeps,

We have the sticky right now, but at least the temps are a little lower. I can have open windows at night, but then have to put the AC late morning to get the humidity out. (Last night I kept the AC on.)

@LaDolceVita …good to get the eye surgery done before the move. Glad you are not having as many heat waves as usual! 😸

@Frozenoem …trying not to giggle at the visual of @LaDolceVita  with welder’s goggles. 👩‍🏭

Storms predicted all this week, but none yet so far which is good for my construction. Tornadoes possible this evening. Let’s hope not.

Hey, guess what….my stepson found ants in the structure as he was working yesterday. What fun! I called an exterminator and since I love spending more money, they will be out on tomorrow to check and do the first application. If I continue with this service after a year, I’ll need to find a cheaper one, but with no time to shop around this time, I just went with whoever could get here first. No my usual way of hiring services, but the time element was crucial. 🐜

Hope everyone is safe and masking up when necessary…more and more here. Ready for that booster! Guess I can’t have a booster until December anyway since it should be 8 months after your second shot. That should work well since I’d like to get my flu shot first. Sure hope it’s not as difficult to get the booster as it was to get the original vaccine!

Time for some sanity!Time for some sanity!

Kudos
Views
Honored Social Butterfly

@catwoman500 

I grant you permission to giggle on visual of welding goggles, but sunshine, TV and even 15watt fridge light was to bright after my cataract surgeries.

3 weeks out from another eye exam, my right eye is having issues after 9 years.

Feel dilation drops coming for that exam.

Downpours coming tomorrow for Maine, and high dewpoints today. But, at least it was cool last night👍

Time to play have an old school stereo to fix then sell. I don’t think I want or need 5 anymore. Dangerous cleaning attic.☹️

Froze

Trusted Social Butterfly

Hey, Folks!

Interesting experience today…was out to lunch with friends, six of us at a pretty busy restaurant, pretty noisy, too. Before we even got our food, there was a loud shout, “HEY! HEY!  Joe Biden sucks!” All the patrons turned as this guy, probably in his 60’s then turned around and left the restaurant. I called out, “Bye, have a nice day” to relieve some tension as everyone started mumbling to him to just get out. Everyone was kind of in shock. I kind of lost my appetite right then and there. This is the type of thing that could have been ugly. The guy could have had a gun. I think he was in there picking up a food order. Meanwhile at the back of the section where we were there was a group of 5 military people in camo enjoying their lunch. When they left the restaurant later, someone called out, “Thank You!” and everyone started clapping. Then when we got the bill, the restaurant had taken $10 off our bill for the disturbance! Classy act!

@Frozenoem ... I do understand that the brightness could be almost painful. I hate even getting the drops when I make my yearly visit to the eye doc for the exam. Good thing I have a short drive home. I always make sure to take my sunglasses from the car to the office so I have them ready when I leave the building.

Got a little water in the basement after Wednesday night’s storm. It came in through the basement window well which had to be uncovered during the construction. Otherwise the sump pump was working. The ground will be graded when this is all over so that doesn’t happen.

Not happy with the exterminator. In my mind he didn’t do very much for the money I paid. Stepson wasn’t there at the time unfortunately, so no one saw what he did. I couldn’t follow him around, and I don’t think he even went into the addition. Sprayed outside at the mounds he saw (he said). Came in the kitchen and stabbed the sides of 2 windows with a little blob of glop. (I have no ants in my kitchen) Said the ants should be dead in a week. Oh, well. I’ll let my stepson check it on Monday. He’s off to take his youngest to start at the University of Pittsburgh….3 kids in college at the same time. YIKES!

I have a window in my new bathroom and what looks like a closet in the bedroom part.

Hope everyone has a nice weekend. We expect rain/storms most of the weekend as one of the named storms makes its way past. I’ve lost track of the names already. Wednesday’s storm had 2 confirmed tornados in the county.

Lady with coffee toon.png

Moving right along.Moving right along.

Honored Social Butterfly

@catwoman500 

The news of my day is Henri’s visiting. First Hurricane  since Bob? maybe in 90’s.

We’ve had more than a few 🥜 people, today like your order picker upper🤔. Keep telling myself I’m not 50 anymore, and shouldn’t react.

Sometimes it works, sometimes abysmal failure a whack from my cane works wonders.

Trying not to be political here but, after yesterday failing miserably with 45 supporters.

Guess maybe humidity and heat wave is affecting my one last good nerve, 93*.👎🏻

Ask your stepson about UGL inside or outside new concrete work.

Think it’s time to CMA and batten down the hatches, always keep a couple of extra sheets of plywood for the single pane garage doors.

40 mph vs 80? Winds -Should be fine. But, then the Boy Scout motto hits.

Froze

Trusted Social Butterfly

@Frozenoem ...Yes, I heard Henri is headed your way. That's the one that we may feel, too. Hoping nothing left in the yard becomes projectile!

Thanks for the tip...I will ask him about UGL.

One of the friends at lunch today said her daughter lives in NYC, and nothing like what we observed today in the restaurant even fazes her anymore. You become used to the 🥜🌰🔩

Hang in!

Honored Social Butterfly

Good morning everyone on this Sunday morning August 1st, 2021. 

We are expecting a warm and sunny day with a high of 74*. Hoping everyone has a blessed new month. 

We have have been following the Olympics and very happy with the efforts of the US Swim team. As some of you may remember we have 3 daughters that are cooperative swimmers and two swam in college and one still swims as part of the Ironman competition.

67aaab5b6cf87e3f71899dea3b524d5d.jpg

Wonderful-August-Month-Wishes.jpg

Bronze Conversationalist

AMAZING DAY today!!!!  It is currently one minute shy of 1:00 in the afternoon, and not even the hottest part of the day yet.  But with the humidity, it is already 109 degrees.  I tried doing some simple things outside, and was drenched in no time.  UGH!!!   I've brought in the outdoor cats to the insulated garage so they can lay on the cool cement floor and have plenty of cold water to drink.  Set up a nice box fan for a good breeze, too.  I couldn't bear to see them suffering outside!!    Both have thick, long-haired coats and are big-sized cats. So it wouldn't take long for them to be miserable.

We are supposed to have very strong storms this evening, but then we've been promised storms the past week and had little rain show up.  So we'll see what really happens.

I hope everyone is staying cool wherever you are.  As for me, I am staying home on this normal day off, and hugging my air conditioner.  Cheers!!!

Honored Social Butterfly

@RosemaryF433825 

Wednesday morning raining, tomorrow 90’s and heat index warnings in the mountains. Not something I’m used to hearing.

Trying to find a window for haying or mowing the grass, getting high out there.

One way or the other need to trim trees or mow today, no looking forward to either🤣.

Froze

Trusted Social Butterfly

Hello, Porch Peeps!

We are in the middle of this heat wave, too. Temps in the 90’s, “feels likes” in the 100’s. I think my renovation crew may have overdone it yesterday…stepson texted last night to say they wouldn’t be working today in the heat. Yep, @RosemaryF433825 …it’s 93 feeling like 106 right now. So happy you took care of the kitties! 😺

Hopefully this will break soon and we can make some more progress with the renovations. Yesterday I watched as 5 men toted the support beam from the yard to the addition. They had to enlist the help of the dumpster driver! Lucky they had good timing for him to be dropping the next dumpster then.  With the tearing out of my deck, the back yard looks like a slum. And to think a few years ago there was a pool there. Hard to believe. Hope I live to see this transformation complete and don’t end up in the poorhouse. LOL

Lunch out yesterday was lovely. All the “white hairs” seemed to be dining out yesterday. Just looking around the dining room almost made me laugh. Maybe there was one business group in the whole place.

@Frozenoem ... It has stormed the last 2 nights here, but the sun has been out bright and early. You be careful out there especially since this ugly stuff isn’t normal in your area.

Even with all the rain, my flowers still needed water. I think one plant’s foliage is so thick that the rain just doesn’t get in there.

Lawn guys are perplexed…they never know if there will be grass to cut or equipment strewn all over. They do the best they can and can at least do the front, side, and part of the other side.

Y’all stay safe and hydrated!

Guilty!Guilty!

Honored Social Butterfly

@catwoman500 

Felt like 106* earlier in the day, before a few thunderclaps rolled through the valley from 10 miles away.

Now it only feels like 95*, personally I’m dealing with heat , dew points and Canadian smoke by working inside with AC set at 75*.

The hay can continue growing for awhile, any desire to go outside has gone.

Perhaps tonight during rain storms that may be cooler.

The good news is snow and cold is mere months away.

Times like this Mainah’s dream of snow🤣, fly shots and perhaps a booster for Covid.

Froze

Bronze Conversationalist

I started out the day so horribly...HORribly....HORRIBLY this morning!  I lost my balance for one, brief moment when getting sleepily out of bed, crashed into my open bookcase, and sent a beautiful, hand-painted pot with purple pansies all over it and trimmed in gold that was my Mother's....CRASHING to the floor into a million pieces, totally unsalvageable!  

I remember dusting it for my Mom when I was a child, so it had to be over 60 years old....and it so reminded me of precious memories of my Mom and a song about "purple pansies" that she used to sing to me when I was sick.  I collected the pieces and put them in a flowerpot...still haven't the heart to throw them away.  

It probably sounds silly!  I mean, I can still have those memories of my Mom without that hand-painted pot.  But it's been even more of a treasure and reminder since my Mom died 14 years ago.   (I apologized out loud to my Mom for breaking it, too!)

Has anyone else ever had this happen to them...where something tangible with such precious memories got broken and was unfixable?   😥😪😓 

Honored Social Butterfly

Ro,

I’ve repaired more than a few of my great great grandmothers iron ware tea pots, luckily broken by sister.

She did the dusting.

Epoxy and wonder glue were my friends, as was a bucket of sand to hold the body in Place during Re-assembly.

About the only things I still hold on to is wooden furniture,  harder to break, and my great grandmothers porcupine quill bag, made before she went to an indigenous school.

If pitcher is memory for you, clear pot (like Stretch mentioned) or glue it together to keep the memories alive.Doesn’t have to be useable, for use I bought a Brookstone epoxy kit with color match tints in 70’s, and  still have as reference, or original makers name.

Best I can offer for suggestions to keep the memories alive.

Froze

Bronze Conversationalist

@Frozenoem  Thank you for your suggestion, Frozen.  And your relating to my situation is comforting.  Unfortunately, there are so many shattered pieces that I'm afraid it wouldn't be possible to glue enough together even if I wasn't going to use it.  I'm going to use Stretch's advice, and put the few larger pieces in a clear container and toss the shards away.  I think it will do my heart good!

You've been most kind!  🤗

Trusted Social Butterfly

Good Sunday to all Porch Peeps!

We got a respite for today…no AC needed…HOORAY. In the 70’s for now! And it looks like after the heat wave arrives, it won’t last until next Sunday after all! Wahoo!

@LaDolceVita …my eyes hurt just reading about yours. Hopefully this will pass soon. At the eye doc on July 30, I got the good news that there was no pressure, no glaucoma, and no macular degeneration, and cataract surgery is at least 10 years away! I did need to get new glasses which should come in this week.

I also hear you about the construction materials at your happy homestead. On Friday when the big truck pulled up with the lumber on it, I said that’s a lot of wood and my stepson said it wasn’t all ours, but for the price he had to pay, it should be. My stomach flipped as I know this is going to cost me way more than I thought.

Oh, @RosemaryF433825... I have tears in my eyes for you!  😿 Yes, please do what @MsStretch  and @Frozenoem advise. Don’t throw the pieces out! Then be sure to sit on the edge of the bed for a few seconds and slowly stand up. This is something I’ve had to get used to and it may help. I know it was a one-time thing for you, but we do need to be more careful as we “mature.” 😒

I do remember my mother being in tears when our cat at the time jumped up on the hutch and sent my mother’s antique English teapot to the floor in smithereens. I tear up when I break something as minor as a favorite coffee mug, so can empathize with your situation. Please take good care of yourself.

Here’s hoping nothing else goes awry with any of us!

I need another cuppa!I need another cuppa!

Bronze Conversationalist

@hey, catwoman!  Good Sunday to you, too!

We've got storms a-coming (supposedly, but I will believe it when I see them as we've been promised storms for two days now!! grrr!)

I got the old "you've got cataracts" report too.  In both eyes no less.  (Hey!  why settle for just one eye, right? LOL)  And the idea of having them taken off scares me practically to death.  When I use my eyes for my profession, I don't want to take the chance!!!

The doc said it would be awhile, although I'm not sure why.  Sorry to hear LaDolce is suffering from her surgery.  Jeepers!   Doesn't sound like fun at all.  

I'm off to the garden for some work and relaxation!  Enjoy the rest of your Sunday afternoon everyone~

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@RosemaryF433825 , that is always a heartbreaker when something like that happens.  I have held on to certain things that were given to me or had some connection to loved ones I have lost and it gets damaged or broken, but I still hang on to a piece of it. 

This is going to sound very silly, but I have a small 'medicine bag' with 'special' amulets and spirit things that mean only something to me.  It's a small leather bag full of bits and some broken pieces and scraps, but they bring me comfort.  I carry it everywhere.  I am always 'connected'.

Perhaps you can arrange the purple pansies pieces in a nice clear vase or similar.  You will always know what they mean and that is all that counts.

So sorry to hear that happened, but hope you are OK.

Bronze Conversationalist

@MsStretch  Thank you so much for your understanding and incredibly sweet reply, Ms Stretch!  I don't think your "medicine bag" is silly at all if it brings you comfort and cherished memories!  I still have the pieces of the pansy pot, much of it was shattered in a million pieces.  However, there are a few larger pieces left that I could put in a clear and pretty container that would continue my "connection."  That's a wonderful idea.  Thank you!   I will do just that.  

I'm feeling not quite so shattered myself, but still disappointed of course today.  Thanks for looking after me.  😘

Bronze Conversationalist

HAPPY AUGUST EVERYONE!   Enjoy the last, full month of Summer!  Time to plant mums and asters!

Trusted Social Butterfly

Happy August.jpg

Happy August, Everyone,

What is going on with the order of these posts?

Also, I just tried to insert a picture and got this weird form that I don't know how to fill out.  Anyone else having trouble?

OH....OK...looks like I had to log in again for some reason.

OK...hope I am back to normal (or as close to normal as I can get) LOL

Things moving along with my renovation. 

Step grandson helping his dadStep grandson helping his dad

day 6day 6

Maybe I'll have the washer and dryer out of the basement by Christmas????

You all stay safe...we may be masking up again. 😒

I always carry one with me just in case.

Trusted Social Butterfly

Bronze Conversationalist

Hey @catwoman500 !  I haven't been around much at all lately.  Not because I don't enjoy everyone's company but just having some health probs.  Nothing "deadly" by any means, and not Covid/Delta related.   Just...stuff, ya know?

Got some meds from the Doc and changing my diet of too much caffeine.  Don't have to completely cut it out, just cut it down to less than half of usual intake.  Actually went through withdrawals from aspartame...the sweetener in diet soda. Bad juju that!  Severe headaches, dizziness, terrible fatigue.  Amazing what that d**n stuff can do to you.  Whew!  So my body is making some major adjustments.  Drinking lemon water till my eyeballs are floating, but it's better for me.  I'm being good!  

Hope everyone is doing fine.   Cheers!!

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP