CLOSE ×

Search

MORNING ROLL CALL July - September CLOSED

Honored Social Butterfly

MORNING ROLL CALL July - September CLOSED

MORNING ROLL CALL July  September 2021
CLOSED
USE OCTOBER  DECEMBER 2021

Good morning everyone on this FRIDAY morning July 2nd, 2021. 

Posted by Dave the Lighthouse Keeper
Honored Social Butterfly

@catwoman500 

@RosemaryF433825 

Not a clue Re: order of posts, blame AARP gremlins.

If this appears after Rose’s post, it whomever you’ve replied to?

Just shoot me when I can’t drink my pot of coffee per day, easiest part was cutting out sugar and cream in it.

Still allowed an occasional DD great one loaded, for long rides.

3923BA01-A36E-43BA-B62C-3A217CFE24DE.jpeg

Froze

And yes, after long days/nights, I'd still like to swing these hunks of glass , plastic and silicon against the nearest wall Come on retirement!
Trusted Social Butterfly

Happy Friday, Porch Peeps,

All good things come to an end and it’s going to be our lovely week of perfect weather.

It has been unbelievably amazing to have this one oasis week in the middle of a Philly summer. But, the heat and humidity return with a vengeance over the weekend and for the whole next week. Another heat wave is coming, but that’s normal for here, so we were really spoiled with this past week. I already turned the AC back on. 😿

Today the lumber for the addition was delivered, more concrete was poured, and the second inspection was done.

@RosemaryF433825 …I sure hope you are doing better. It stinks to not feel up to par. But to cut your coffee in half? I’d really have a hard time with that, too. And I certainly can’t do what Froze does. Black coffee eats through my innards! LOL Had to stop at Starbucks today for 15 bonus points for buying a mocha.

@Frozenoem …love your cartoon.

Enjoy the weekend, everyone! It’s Friday so I get to have a glass of wine! 🍷 Wahoo!

coffee before talkie.jpg

Bronze Conversationalist

@catwoman500 Thanks so much for the good wishes, Catwoman!  I am getting there.  I got so sick of laying around that I went outside last evening and pulled weeds for a couple of hours.   Of course I could barely get out of bed this morning (heh!) but I hobbled around bent over until I could stand up straight.  

So life is looking up, and my flowerbed is looking better!

Honored Social Butterfly

@catwoman500 

Maine will get at least 3 humid days, as well pushing 80-90*. But not until next week👍.

This weekend is for renewing old acquaintances in town, olde home days. Masked you betcha to darn many anti-v’s will be visiting from R-states.

Froze

And yes, after long days/nights, I'd still like to swing these hunks of glass , plastic and silicon against the nearest wall Come on retirement!
Bronze Conversationalist

@Frozenoem   Our "Governor" has decided to let everyone forego wearing masks, although there are major stores that still require it...which is just fine by me.  It never bothered me.  I never made it a big deal.  And I think someone else said it around here, sometimes covering half your face is a good thing.  Now if there were just masks you could use on bad hair days...hmmm.

Hope you are keeping well, Froze.

Honored Social Butterfly

@RosemaryF433825 

Bad hair days are made for ball caps, bill back for mullets.

Wool golf club cap for Autumn, Toyota for Summer,Balaclava’s the rest of the year.

Lessons learned from Pandemic.🤣

Froze

Bronze Conversationalist

@Frozenoem   Thanks much for the cap info, Frozen!  👍. It's always nice to have someone around to care about the condition of my head!   LOL

Recognized Social Butterfly

No notifications in my mail box from AARP.    OOPS, just checked spam box is full of them.  Our lovely summer continues but next week looks ugly .

I have a cataract surgery update.  Almost 4 weeks now and my eye is horribly dry, cannot see in the AM. I asked if I can stop the combo drops which are very drying, answer was no but I have to do them only once a day instead of two.  I do the dastardly drop before bed with the result that about an hour after waking I am ready to scream.  Otherwise I see quite well.

Visited the homestead last Sunday.  The basement is in and some of the framing is up.  I hope the shipping delays do not affect us any more than they already have.  The virus is hitting China very hard in some areas and the shipping is very much affected, or so I have read.

On the masks, I never stopped wearing it in stores, just a part of being polite I figure.  I read that the ocean is full of the masks.  There are masks discarded in lots of places they should not be.  Pollution has reached a new level. 

Honored Social Butterfly

@LaDolceVita , ugh, I remember those eye drops that seemed to go on forever.  I had a schedule on my refrigerator and when I reached the last day, I did the happy dance... twice.

After a couple of months, your eyes should 'settle down' and 'hit their stride'.

Honored Social Butterfly

@catwoman500 

I’ve been wondering how you. favored in storms day after your nephew began work.

Nothing earth shattering in Maine, preparing for annual town celebration and return of snow birds.

They get tired of Maine winters, and temps of 20 to -60* F with snow, might end up joining them someday🤣.

Froze

Trusted Social Butterfly

@Frozenoem ...Yeah, there were 8 confirmed tornadoes in our area and neighboring New Jersey, but luckily all we got once again was thunder and rain. A car dealership was all but destroyed and all kinds of crazy stuff happened. We did lose power for 3 and a half hours. I was worried about the sump pump not working with all the water collected in the tarp, but no water got into the basement. It did prompt my stepson to say we're getting me a sump pump with a battery back-up! 😺

Things are moving along slowly but surely.

Middle stepson is on his way home to ME after a brief visit to our area.

He surprised his brother and stayed overnight with them last night.

He lives in Scarborough now.

Latest from today:

Ready for concrete to be poured tomorrow.Ready for concrete to be poured tomorrow.

Hard to picture a bathroom and laundry area. I need a better imagination. 😂

Y'all take care. 😷

Honored Social Butterfly

Good evening everyone here on the Front Porch! Yesterday was a very busy day as I had to drive 50 miles each way to have a 10 year checkup on my knee replacement. They also  x-rayed the other knee which is showing more arthritis. 

Looks like my golf game is still a go

for a while.

We are looking at the full force of Mother Nature tonight from high winds, rain, hail and possible tornadoes.

Having friends over tomorrow to show them our appartment and go out for lunch. 

I'm agreeing with requiring wearing masks again every inside. I never felt that mask wearing was dropped unless eating inside. With the new strains the masks are a must inside. Social distancing needs to be enforced with possible fines. 

5ff8a05dbde805001980bebe.jpeg

S-23803P.jpg

60YG22_AS01.jpeg

Posted by Dave the Lighthouse Keeper
Honored Social Butterfly

So with the new CDC directive re: wearing masks, I've got mine standing by.  Actually I never put them away.  Unfortunately, my county is in the orange zone (Substantial transmission), so here we go again.  😷

It is what it is.  So I guess this means I can go back to being an incognito slob again. 😁  That's my silver lining.  

AC has been on 24/7 here in mid-VA.  Humidity.  Humidity.  Humidity. 🥵

Honored Social Butterfly

57* and humidity  coming tonight with rain. 

3 selections of masks, reusable

in wash, surgical with filters, and 

N-95’s on standby.

Think I’m taking this seriously, you could be right. Delta variant has hit Maine, least survival is good with vaccinations.

Froze

Honored Social Butterfly

Wildfire smoke reported here in VA.  I have not smelled it, although neighbors on the Nextdoor app have.

Trusted Social Butterfly

Hey, Everyone,

Weather has been glorious for 3 days here. Haven’t had to use the AC at all. Things will change tomorrow though….back to the 90 mark. Loving the low humidity, it’s 84 and feels like 84.

@RosemaryF433825 …hear you about the "feels like" in the 100’s…had a lot of that earlier.

@Frozenoem …our smoke is gone, too. Haven’t smelled the smoke here, just have seen the haze with the unhealthy air quality warning, but that seems to have been lifted for now.

Found out more about the bad storms that ripped through here last Wednesday.

Stepson was here Wednesday and said that on his way home the hail dented his truck, the Turnpike was down to 5 mph and they were all in the middle lane because the outer and inner lanes were flooded! He had taken a photo of a Prius on the side of the road with a tree on top of it! YIKES! 😲

My friend emailed that they lost power for about 22 hours and the township sent around extra trash trucks to collect peoples’ spoiled food!  😝 This all happened a few miles away from me….not even 10 miles!

Sure hope we don’t have any more of those storms. We seem to be in this little pocket that doesn’t get hit as bad as other places (sometimes), thank goodness.

@LaDolceVita …so glad you are still enjoying the nice kind of days you like. 😺

Having the windows open is such a treat, but this morning I was rudely awakened by some landscapers across the street from my bedroom window using power tools at 7:10. The ordinance is 8 AM on weekends. This was my last morning to sleep in as my stepson starts my renovations on Monday. At least I have been able to have my coffee on the porch the last few mornings. Not looking forward to having my sleep routine all topsy turvy, but it will all be worth it in a few months (I hope). 🙄

Enjoy your weekend!

Sleeping beauty gif.gif

Trusted Social Butterfly

Hello, Porch Peeps,

Where did July go? It’s the last week already!

Haze from the West coast fires is back in our area.

Stepson started rocking my foundation Monday. LOL I’m trying to get used to a new routine in the AM. Even though most of the work is outside for now, I have to set the alarm so I can unlock the doors in case he needs to come in. I try to get my mobility exercises over with before he arrives, but Tuesday he was even earlier and arrived before 7:00. I’m not even human at that hour, so hope I’m not scaring him or the boys. LOL He has his son who starts at Pitt in the fall and a friend working with him this summer.

Dumpster and Porta Potty arrived early Monday…such a visual delight.

Yesterday was the first inspection of the foundation…it passed. Today the concrete blocks were delivered and the cement will be poured.

At least it is not as hot as yesterday. We are in the 80’s with a storm brewing for tomorrow. No AC for me yet today.

@LaDolceVita …sorry you got the heat, but glad you can bear with it until fall arrives. As my mom used to say, “It’s the hum-midity that’ll do us in."

@Frozenoem …that hotel looks familiar. I may have seen it when I was a kid and we took a vacation to some New England states. I definitely remember Mt. Washington and the cog railway.

Enjoy your day, everyone!

Barney Fife.jpg

Kudos
Views

Wow, you are smelling the smoke all the way from across the country!  I read about it but you two are the only ones I know who experienced this.  Makes a difference somehow.

Our lovely weather continues although the the forecast is showing a few days in the 90s.  Have now started the countdown to fall.  If the weather is hot I start in May!   No really bad news to report 😎.  

Bronze Conversationalist

Good Morning, Gang!!!  😁  No smell of smoke here in Iowa, but there has definitely been a cloudy haze here for days now!  

The weather report for today is a heat index (how it actually feels with the humidity) of 105 degrees!   YOW!!  😅  We have heat advisories all over the place which is encouraging people to stay inside at home.    (NOT good for my business today!!!)  Argh!  It's supposed to be up to 98 degrees without the heat index figured in by Wednesday.  And no rain in the forecast.  😭. My poor flowers and tomato plants will need some TLC for sure.  

Wishing all of you a lovely weekend, where you are!!!!

Honored Social Butterfly

@MsStretch 

@LaDolceVita 

@RosemaryF433825 

79* and sunny now👍, waiting for grass to dry, although backyard looks like haying required, it’s tall.

Only had smoke for 3 days, AC has HEPA filter and I used it between rains.The joy of being 20 minutes from White Mountains of NH and prevailing winds.It was similar to living downwind of outside wood furnace with short smoke stack👎🏻.

Time to play, haying calls.🤣

Froze

Bronze Conversationalist

@Frozenoem   Oh my goodness!  I was so surprised to read that you live close to  the White Mountains!  I actually spent a 4th of July celebration (many years ago now) with some Bostonian friends on the lawn of a huge hotel on Mount Washington. We enjoyed a picnic supper with music on the grounds, followed by a beautiful fireworks display.   The view was amazing!

Honored Social Butterfly

@RosemaryF433825

When we still were living in Hatfield, MA my ex and I went camping with our nephew in Mt. Washington hut systems and watched as sunrise came and the Omni appeared in the mist of dawn. I swear I was tempted to delay a day, before roughing it in a hut.

Depending upon the number of years ago, huge lawns sounds like Omni Mt Washington Hotel , where my favorite late chef/camper worked.

Found picture of hotel

61* and pouring right now, think we’re in for the day/night. 

Froze

783C7C76-0F7E-4959-B263-6689709A7573.jpeg

@Frozenoem   That is huge and looks like it ought to be the setting for one of those European soap operas I watch from time to time.

It hit hot and humid yesterday!  So far only hot today, do not feel humidity yet.  Comforts me to know that it can last only 5 weeks now.  Sometimes a beastly summer can be as long as 12 weeks.  

Honored Social Butterfly

@LaDolceVita 

Can’t honestly remember a humid summer - here lately.

Sticky maybe tomorrow.

Woke up to 59* and smoke from Canada and Western fires, had to turn on AC to breathe easier.

69* now and time hay, courtesy of the last weeks of rain.

Froze

Hi.  Spent my holiday outside animal ER and many of the previous days and following days in vet's office.   Tessie my best buddy was startled by a deer in our driveway while chewing on cracker boxes on the basement couch.    To make a very long horrid story short she ended up with a wad of cardboard in her nose, to be removed   during bronchoscopy.   All is well now, I am a bit wiser and poorer as you can imagine.

Had the cataract surgery Monday and so far so good.  The first 2 days were kinda  crummy with dilated eye and other irritating stuff.  

BTW our cool summer continues.   Nothing even close to a heat wave yet.  The 4th was a balmy 84 or so, not much humidity.

Honored Social Butterfly

@LaDolceVita 

It’s been a weird Summer for all this year cool or rain👍, friends in Vegas or CA would differ on that opinion.

69* and raining off and on for last 4 weeks, have required AC six times this year. 

About the only thing less than fun with my cataract surgery was the eye drops, they tasted like spoiled milk.🤔 And the welders goggles for lights or sun.Everything was so much brighter.

And on that note - friend still here and going to Doctors with me tomorrow, to see how much longer this 💩 will last. She’d prefer to keep me alive vs a file to read.Pathologists are Doctors😀. And 3 years even with a pandemic is just too long to wait for answers.

Froze

Trusted Social Butterfly

Hi, All,

@LaDolceVita …oh my goodness…what an ugly experience for Tessie!

On the other hand, glad your summers are (so far) better than your usual.

Haven’t had to have the cataract surgery yet. Next eye appt. is at the end of this month. I definitely will need a new prescription and will need new sunglasses also this time.

@RosemaryF433825 …Oh, good grief! That storm sounds so scary! I would have been a basket case. I don’t handle storms very well since being by myself. Those dang warnings on our cell phones are sometimes scarier than the real thing. So glad you are OK. And yes, there is a new MORNING ROLL CALL thread for July to September.

We are still just tolerating the humidity. Windows had to stay closed with AC on last night again.

Take care, all!

Uncaffeinated freaks.jpg

@Frozenoem   I hope you get a decent answer soon.   Really ridiculous to wait even 1 year!  @catwoman500  The 4th day after cataract surgery was already pretty good, I cannot recommend the first day though.   Only good thing to do is watch old shows on TV and eat comfort food.  Mine was sugar free ice cream.   The newer brands are terrific.

Honored Social Butterfly

@LaDolceVita 

During pandemic I was lucky enough to get Doctors & hospitals, the first 6 months of how to handle it were rife with cancellations.

At least for now it’s improving, tune in next month though Delta variants, who knows🤔.

20-30 cases of Delta in Maine, 62.8% of pop. Vaccinated.

Looks like I’m booked through December in doctors, and keeping friend for another month.👍

Froze

Trusted Social Butterfly

Hi, Porch Peeps,

We just had 2 nice days with lower temps and humidity. Today will not be one of those days.

@Frozenoem …good to hear your friend will be staying for a while! Comfort in numbers!

Not much going on here. Hairdresser’s today and lunch out with friends tomorrow and that’s about it.

Woke up to my worst knee being wonky and sore, so no idea what adventures I had in Dreamland last night. Had to get my cane, and that was a long walk/shuffle to the kitchen where I left it. Hoping I can make it down the basement steps at my hairdressers.

A few hours later:

Success, I did OK navigating the steps, but she missed the last step and fell on the floor! 😲

She was OK, but my face must have gone as white as a sheet because she kept apologizing to me for scaring me! She is younger than I am, but has had a couple of mini strokes, and was just in PT earlier this AM. Geez, Louise, I was scared for her and of course, I’m unable to do much anyway let alone with a knee worse than usual! It was scary. He husband who has cancer and is on dialysis was asleep upstairs, couldn’t have heard us if we yelled, and couldn’t do anything to help anyway. At least we both had our cell phones if we had needed them. Holy cow…as they saying goes, old age is not for sissies! (I did come home with my blonde back and my hair cut despite the turmoil.)

Sure hope all of you had a calmer day than that!

As for me…

believe in coffee.jpg

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Asteroids® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP