Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Regular Social Butterfly

Favorite scary movie?

Since it's almost Halloween, which for some reason we in the US associate with scary/spooky stuff, got to thinking of my fav scary movies (listed below).

What are your top ten?

Thanks in advance (especially if you list a movie I haven't yet seen)!

1. Shaun of the Dead - If I'm channel surfing and this movie pops up, I cannot turn away, EVER! Probably something they programmed into the soundtrack 😉
  2. A Trilogy: Unbreakable | Split | Glass - I LOVE these movies; every viewing I still need to think and watch closely.
  3. Them (1954 original) - This imho is the scariest movie without CGI or costumed villains!
  4. Zombieland - Goes without saying...
  5. Zombieland: Double Tap - gotta if you watched Zombieland just to know the ending
  6. Silence of the Lambs - Excellent, excellent, excellent, again, imho
  7. Snakes on a Plane - again, goes without saying (PLUS includes my fav line ever: "I'm tired of these..."
  8. House on Haunted Hill - Vincent Price at his best and casting of guests was excellent!

#StaySafe

#VegasStrong
Phil Harris, actor and showman, to John Fogerty of CCR: “If I’d known I’d live this long, I’d have taken better care of myself.”
Kudos
Views
Replies
Super Contributor

In no particular order:

The Birds

Invasion of the Body Snatchers 1956 & 1978

Carrie

The Exorcist

The Omen 1 & 2

Rosemary's Baby

The Shining

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 1974

The Silence of the Lambs

Saw

Social Butterfly

@Constantitan Wow! That is a very comprehensive list.  I remember seeing The Birds as a kid, and got pretty freaked out.  But when I was a bit older, became a huge fan of Hitchcock.  He was brilliant!  

0 Kudos
Super Contributor

Silence of the Lambs

Signs

The Boy

The Others

People will stop asking you questions if you answer back in interpretive dance. - Meme
0 Kudos
Trusted Social Butterfly

At the time that I watched it, the scariest movie was Invaders from Mars (1953), because it was shown from the perspective a a boy my age.  It involved the boy's parents not being themselves because they were controlled by martians.  At the end, the boy woke up and it was all a dream but then reality started the way the dream started.  That's pretty frightening for a 7 year old.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

My #1 scary movie and it is proven to be the most scary for multitudes of other people is THE EXORCIST.

I, as a grown man, had nightmares after this movie. Many people needed to see psychiatrist after the viewing of this movie to help them deal with its aftereffects.

As to other movies...... I saw THE INCREDIBLE SHRINKING MAN as a young child and it affected me for quite some time(this was before ratings). It certainly stopped me from running through the clouds of DDT they used to spray in the neighborhoods back then( for those that haven't seen the movie, a cloud of something made the guy shrink).

Of course, all THE NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET movies.

Well, it's late, time to go to sleep......

WAIT!!!!!!!..........

I can't go to sleep!!!!!......

What a dilemma!!!!!

I guess I'll stay up and watch a cute little girl spit green pea soup at a priest.

Nighty Night.

Social Butterfly

@WebWiseWoman  Classic monster movies, Dracula and Frankenstein.  Of course have to include Mel Brook's spoof Young Frankenstein.  Always have a little crush on Gene Wilder.

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist

"Signs" by M Night Shyamalan is a classic.

Super Contributor

@postman29 "Signs" is one of my faves too.  I've watched it a few times.

People will stop asking you questions if you answer back in interpretive dance. - Meme
Social Butterfly

@postman29 Great Answer! Great Movie!

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Block Champ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP