Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Contributor

Beware: Some vendors do not accept discounts obtained through the "Near You" rewards program

The Red Bank Chocolate Shoppe is in a charming storefront in charming downtown Red Bank.  However, be warned:  The owner does NOT honor any discounts, under any circumstances, even those which are obtained through AARP.  I had earned a printable coupon through AARP’s ‘Near You’ Rewards program for 20% off any purchase up to a maximum discount of $25, usable during a specific 2-week time period.  I visited the shop during the prescribed timeframe, and when I presented the coupon to the owner, she stated that her store does not offer discounts.  When I tried to show her the coupon – with a Redemption ID number and her store’s name and address printed on it – she refused to examine it, and stated clearly and firmly that her store does not accept ANY coupons from ANY source, including those obtained through AARP.  So please, spare yourself the trouble and potential embarrassment, and never try to use a coupon, even one which is obtained from a legitimate source, to the owner of Red Bank Chocolate Shoppe.

Community Manager
Community Manager

@BillD916633 @madelitx @nctarheel 

Please be sure to provide this feedback to us when your redemption isn't accepted - we do have a report a problem feature on AARP Rewards specifically for when a vendor does not accept your item.  Please be sure to report this in that tool so we can help!

AARPTeri
Honored Social Butterfly

@AARPTeri wrote:

@BillD916633 @madelitx @nctarheel 

Please be sure to provide this feedback to us when your redemption isn't accepted - we do have a report a problem feature on AARP Rewards specifically for when a vendor does not accept your item.  Please be sure to report this in that tool so we can help!

I provided feedback at the time. Nothing was done. In fact, if memory serves me correctly, things were so bad with THE REWARDS PROGRAM that I dropped participating in it altogether as I viewed it as a scam. Not only were coupons not accepted, the vendors weren't even aware of your Rewards Program. And, of course, remember the coupon for the GOLF COURSE GREENS FEE that appeared in the Rewards Program after the GOLF COURSE had been closed for A YEAR!!!!! In fact, again, if memory serves me correctly, things were SO BAD that AARP eventually sent me a $50 gift card for my troubles.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Don't ever feel embarrassed for using coupons. It's the less savvy people who don't use them, regardless of wealth. The store owner should feel embarrassed for advertising, getting people to her store and then not honoring the coupon. Just walk away WITHOUT buying anything. The last thing you want to do is reward their behavior.

0 Kudos
Super Contributor

@SalvatoreD727247  Already been there done that Sal. 
same results from TWO (2) KFC stores in Jackson, MS. 

both stores said they do not accept these coupons. Wrote KFC corporate and asked them to have these coupons removed from the AARP Near You Activity.

never received a reply, coupons still remain on AARP’s Rewards page.

Honored Social Butterfly

@SalvatoreD727247and @BillD916633,

How right you are!!!!!

Their rewards program has a history of issues. Years ago, I had the same issue as you are having …. Back then, it was with Quiznos Subs. But my best anecdote regarding AARP’s reward program had to do with a golf course. The Rewards Program back then was a coordinated effort between AARP and The Entertainment Book. A coupon appeared for the very first time in AARP’s Rewards Program selections, a free greens fee for a local course. I earned enough points for the coupon, printed it, and then found out the following: (1) The course had been closed for a year. (2) The course was overgrown with weeds and strewn with trash. (3) Fencing surrounded the property. (4) The fencing was placed there because the course had bee closed due to legal action taken against it. (5) It seems the owners were involved in some illegal activity. So, I was not surprised to see either of your above comments.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Space Adventure Pinball and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP