Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Community Concierge

Is Going Meatless Better For You?

Have you cut back on how much meat you eat? Are you considering a more plant-based diet? If so, you’re part of a worldwide trend. People in many countries are interested in diets that skip — or at least scale back — meat and other animal products. Read this article to learn some reasons for rethinking a meat-centric diet, including environmental and animal welfare concerns, as well as better health. Visit AARP® Staying Sharp® for more brain health information.

Trusted Contributor

from the Mayo Clinic:

Vegetarian diet: How to get the best nutrition

A well-planned vegetarian diet is a healthy way to meet your nutritional needs. Find out what you need to know about a plant-based diet.

By Mayo Clinic Staff

Apparently, AARP won't let me post a link from the Mayo Clinic, one of the nation's most highly regarded medical clinic.

But, if you are interested, you can just Google:  "Mayo Clinic + Vegetarian diet: How to get the best nutrition" and it should come up.

I guess sometimes, the "internet police" are obstructing helping others, rather than protecting people from abuse...

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

I barely eat meat. i'm not vegitarian, i eat hamburger, hotdogs, & just recently igot a pound of roast beef at the store but considering how much the cost of meat is that tells why i barely eat meat period! that roast beef cost me $12.11 for that pound. i'll never do it again but it is nice to treat yourself once in a while.

Periodic Contributor

I follow a vegetarian diet as I have never liked meat. Even as a child, I remember my mother making me sit at the kitchen table for hours upon hours because I didn't want to eat my meat. However, I raise animals for meat and cook meat for friends and family. My take on the whole meat debate is that most Americans eat way too much meat and not enough vegetables. The same goes with overly-processed grains, salt, sugars and cheese- just way too much. I think most people should cut way back on their meat consumption as well as reevaluate their whole diet. 

Social Butterfly

I haven’t had any meat in weeks but in my opinion, cheese is even worse for you.  When you think about it, cheese is nothing more than concentrated fat!  It sure tastes good though.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Asteroids® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP