Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Community Concierge

7 Reasons to Embrace Yoga

You’re never too old to practice yoga. If you haven’t tried it yet, you may be surprised to learn that it won’t turn you into a pretzel shape. Simply put, it’s a combination of gentle movement, meditation and breath control and a wonderful way to destress. Learn more about the many benefits of yoga. Find more health tips at AARP® Staying Sharp®, an AARP member benefit, today.

Contributor

I've been practicing yoga as well as teaching it for 20+ yrs. What I love about it and can't stress enough is that it's accessible to everyone, your age, body shape, or fitness level doesn't matter. Anyone who asks me what yoga really is, I tell them it's the best path to independence, longevity and vitality.

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

I started practicing yoga as a preteen, from a girls' magazine. It was the sun salutation and I later learned how much I did incorrectly. Over 50 years later, yoga and walking are still my go-to exercises. If I do no other workout, I practice yoga. 

Regular Contributor

I am 81 years of age and in 1996 I had an auto accident which affected my spine, I was fortunate enough to have a physical therapist that taught me several yoga positions.  Every day since then I have been doing these yoga exercises along with a few others.  It has kept my body balanced along with less pain and discomfort.  One orthopedic surge told me to never allow a Doctor to operate on my spine and told me physical therapy is the best tool I could ever use, it works.

Trusted Contributor

Thank you the info. 

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Space Adventure Pinball and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP