Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Being Called “Elderly” or “Retired” or “Senior”

Regular Contributor

Being Called “Elderly” or “Retired” or “Senior”

I’m pushing 70.  I have most of my hair but the gray is slowly creeping up the sides.  I am retired, but I could go back to work if I wanted to.  I rarely get sick or take medication.  I wouldn’t want to be a soldier in the military or run cross country, like I did in high school, but I’m fit to do most anything else.  No memory problems.  I’m not angry.  My politics and religion haven’t changed.  In short, I am what I’ve always been.  So why do people insist on calling me “elderly” or “retired” or “senior”?  Why do they automatically give me senior discounts or hold the door for me?  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Honored Social Butterfly

What really grinds my gears is, 'Boomer.' I'm not a 'Boomer,' but find this term to be degrading, somehow. Can't we just get rid of it? 

The other day, I saw a pin/badge, and it read, 'I Can't Believe I'm The Same Age As Old People.' Then it hit me... I'm old! I'm 54!

Be proud to be old. You are 'Golden.' [Whilst, I am silver.] Together, we are old, but you are even older. So what! The opposite of old is young. My mind may be young, and I feel fit as a fiddle, yet, my age says that I'm old. How about that? What a bunch of malarkey. Don't let these passages get you down. 🙂

Although, I'm not there yet, I hope to be, but you just never know. At least you're there, and I admire that. Relish where you are, right now. Really! You are lucky to have what you describe. I think you already know that, though. I don't think people insist on anything, like calling you (on the telephone?) 'elderly' or 'retired' or 'senior.' Sorry, but this doesn't make sense to me. How often does this happen for you? People insist on calling you these things, or 'they' automatically give you a senior discount or hold the door for you? Heck, I hold the door for everyone, no matter how old I think they may be. I'm there at the door, someone is coming to the door as I'm leaving, I hold the door open for them. As much as this seems confusing, yet interesting, all at the same time...I understand what you are going through. It's very hard for these changes in life. You are probably months away from turning 70, and it's a thought-provoking one, maybe even a concerning age for you. I get this! Just keep on keepin' on! I cannot even fathom, for the life of me, to be the age of 70. I am learning so much about it 'getting older,' by being here on the forum. Don't fight it. Embrace it.

I am not dismissing your original concern about being called elderly or retired or senior. Not at all. I think it takes guts to show your concern as to how others should view you, or address you. I suppose it's all just part of 'growing-up.' How lucky we are to grow-up, like an old oak tree.

In addition...I hate labels, too.

View solution in original post

Honored Social Butterfly

What really grinds my gears is, 'Boomer.' I'm not a 'Boomer,' but find this term to be degrading, somehow. Can't we just get rid of it? 

The other day, I saw a pin/badge, and it read, 'I Can't Believe I'm The Same Age As Old People.' Then it hit me... I'm old! I'm 54!

Be proud to be old. You are 'Golden.' [Whilst, I am silver.] Together, we are old, but you are even older. So what! The opposite of old is young. My mind may be young, and I feel fit as a fiddle, yet, my age says that I'm old. How about that? What a bunch of malarkey. Don't let these passages get you down. 🙂

Although, I'm not there yet, I hope to be, but you just never know. At least you're there, and I admire that. Relish where you are, right now. Really! You are lucky to have what you describe. I think you already know that, though. I don't think people insist on anything, like calling you (on the telephone?) 'elderly' or 'retired' or 'senior.' Sorry, but this doesn't make sense to me. How often does this happen for you? People insist on calling you these things, or 'they' automatically give you a senior discount or hold the door for you? Heck, I hold the door for everyone, no matter how old I think they may be. I'm there at the door, someone is coming to the door as I'm leaving, I hold the door open for them. As much as this seems confusing, yet interesting, all at the same time...I understand what you are going through. It's very hard for these changes in life. You are probably months away from turning 70, and it's a thought-provoking one, maybe even a concerning age for you. I get this! Just keep on keepin' on! I cannot even fathom, for the life of me, to be the age of 70. I am learning so much about it 'getting older,' by being here on the forum. Don't fight it. Embrace it.

I am not dismissing your original concern about being called elderly or retired or senior. Not at all. I think it takes guts to show your concern as to how others should view you, or address you. I suppose it's all just part of 'growing-up.' How lucky we are to grow-up, like an old oak tree.

In addition...I hate labels, too.

Regular Contributor

Yeah, the whole Boomer thing is ridiculous.  We have a lot more in common with millennials than they realize.  We entered a world with increasing inflation, high interest rates, no jobs, unaffordable housing, political instability, etc.  I guess that I just don’t like being categorized and labelled by complete strangers based solely on my physical appearance.  It’s not socially acceptable anymore….except with people of age

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

4-16-2024

AZ, don’t play the Ageism Game! You seem to want to be younger and “pushing 

70” so embrace the 70’s. You are among Seniors, Elderly, and just Older People.

You have a choice, continue to get older or Check out? So, if you feel we’ll continue 

to embrace each day and just be thankful. Remember President Carter is still alive

and will be 100 on October 1st. His time has not come. As long as he can breathe 

and someone cares for him, life goes on.

Have a Great Spring Community!

Honored Social Butterfly

HA-HA because just as you have admitted in your post - you cannot do what you once did.

What other name would you prefer for a group of older (elderly) no longer working (retired) people over 65 (or 60, or 70, or 80) or whatever age AARP assigns as being eligible for membership (over 50).?

What about calling us the Gray-Gang?  I’m a lot older than you but I’m UP for a new cool name - 

I hold the door open for those much younger because I’m there and maybe they will pass it along.

Senior Discounts ?  What are those - I don’t buy enough anymore to even look for them - in fact I now turn down those extra 20% - 30% off store credit card enrollments cause I have enough of them - I have a problem using them once a year to keep them active.  I’m in the phase of spending all my cash back on other cards 

Let’s think of something else they can give the Gray-Gang for our business - a free toaster ??  What would you want ?

It's Always Something . . . . Roseanna Roseannadanna
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

Achieve a top score in our Tournament Tuesday Word Games in May and you could win $100 every 30 days!

Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP