Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

๐Ÿค” What CHALLENGE(s) Are YOU Facing RIGHT NOW?

Anonymous
Not applicable

๐Ÿค” What CHALLENGE(s) Are YOU Facing RIGHT NOW?

โ–ถ๏ธTo reply, click on reply button at bottom of this post. Enter your text. Click reply button again.โ—€๏ธ

***READ the comments and/or ADD a comment***

Stop by to tell us about YOUR CHALLENGE and support OTHER MEMBERS.

Grief & Loss Team ๐ŸคŽ๐Ÿค—

Anonymous
Not applicable

(3 comments) Thank you SO MUCH Marcy @MarcyW882921 !!!! Lol, used my broom on my ceiling last night after midnight. ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿคฃ Yelled, my bedtime is 11pm to 6am, thank you! GRATEFUL they went upstairs of their townhouse to their bedrooms. I am in a studio under their 1st floor. Trying not to hate them, but...๐Ÿ˜ค Nicole ๐Ÿค—๐ŸคŽ

Bronze Conversationalist

Sorry to hear, Nicole. Makes me think about moving and new neighbors. Yikes

Bronze Conversationalist

Ok so maybe there is hope that they went upstairs?

Marcy

Conversationalist

April is going to be my challenge.  April 11 my son died, April 16 my husband's birthday.  I am again waking up at 2:30 a.m. unable to sleep and crying.  I feel guilty that I truly have not mourned the lost of my brother as I have only had my son and husband on my mind.  Too much loss.  I take two steps forward and three back.  I am reading Widow to Widow and hope that it helps me.  I also hope when it stops raining here and I am able to get out into my garden that it will cheer me up.  My grandson came home from college and I loved seeing him but he is the spitting image of his father and I saw in him the son I lost.  I appreciate your asking the question Nicole because it gives me the opportunity to express how I feel to someone.  This site and YOU are an important part of my life.

Bronze Conversationalist

Take care Cadee.

Bronze Conversationalist

Cadee, I'm so sorry that you are heading into a challenging month. You have had a lot of loss.

I read Widow to Widow and also worked through Mindfulness and Grief (an 8-week guide for coping with loss). I hope that you find something that will help to get you through this next month.

You are grieving and of course you see the son you lost. Perhaps in time you will begin to see that your son lives on in your grandson.

Raining on the outside when you are raining on the inside is not a good combination. I hope the liquid sunshine turns to a sunny sky soon so you can get out to your garden!

Marcy

Anonymous
Not applicable

5 comments (Sunday 3/26/23)

Well, my "only" child, a daughter usually Video Calls me EVERY Sunday at 5pm but TODAY she is still in Kansas, Missouri for her NSBE conference and will be traveling back to Florida.

Now she had offered to RESCHEDULE to tomorrow (Monday) but I told her I would WAIT for NEXT SUNDAY.

Sad at NO call TODAY ๐Ÿ˜ญ (I live for them) but know she would be "super" tired and busy tomorrow with being away from work this past week.

Rather WAIT for our "quality" call = one when she is RESTED and ready to chat with this old lady, her Ma! ๐Ÿ˜‰ NOT tired and multi-tasking = me and work and trying to stay awake...

Luv you ALL,

Nicole ๐Ÿค—๐ŸคŽ

Bronze Conversationalist

Sorry you missed your video call with your daughter yesterday! It's great that she offered to reschedule for today and you opted to wait until Sunday. It shows the open lines of communication the two of you have and consideration of one another's needs!

Marcy

Anonymous
Not applicable

2 comments (Monday 3/27/23) Thanks Marcy @MarcyW882921 !!! Lol, we ended up doing a call tonight after all. ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿคฃ WE actually were MISSING yesterday's call. Luv you ALL, Nicole ๐Ÿค—๐ŸคŽ

โžก๏ธ@MarcyW882921 wrote:

Sorry you missed your video call with your daughter yesterday! It's great that she offered to reschedule for today and you opted to wait until Sunday. It shows the open lines of communication the two of you have and consideration of one another's needs!

Marcyโฌ…๏ธ

Bronze Conversationalist

What a nice surprise! ๐Ÿ™‚

Marcy

Honored Social Butterfly

I feel your pain! My son moved to

Kentucky in January after being

close by for 27 years. He now

calls me on Fridays and I canโ€™t

wait to hear his voice. Iโ€™m still

adjusting to this new normal

even tho I donโ€™t like it

Conversationalist

Hi, Nicole, I read your post today and feel your loneliness and perhaps pain.  I am sorry you experienced this.  I guess you should remember all the positives things you have done to reach out to others on this forum.  We are solo travelers and I for one appreciate your efforts. I have learned, the hard way that establishing and especially maintaining friendships and relationships has its own timeline.  Meaning others are living their lives, sometimes experiencing their own challenges.  That does not mean they think of us less.  As you go through today, take some time to appreciate all the good things happening around you, like the sunny day, upcoming spring, early blooming flowers, life with its blessings.  Listen to some music you enjoy or take a leisurely walk.  You deserve that.  Your friend on the grief path.  Sue

Anonymous
Not applicable

(1 comment) Carolyn @CarolynS674392 , would she "consider" medication or some other therapy? Nicole ๐ŸคŽ๐Ÿค—

0 Kudos
Conversationalist

She is actually on an antidepressant and other medications.  She had a geriatric doctor that was wonderful, but he closed the one practice.  She needs to see another one to manage her meds.  Because of her age, they cannot increase her antidepressant.

Conversationalist

Well, she hates the look of the condo my dad made her move into. She cries about that a lot. And she is feeling lonely because he doesn't talk to her as much as she would like.  She has longstanding depression, now complicated by dementia.  My dad wasn't the nicest in the past.  He was mean to me too.  But a lot of my dad and my relationship is healing and is good now.  He's very sweet in all the cooking he does for her and she praises his cooking.  Anyway, her moods are often worse in the afternoon and evening.  She is the nicest and sweetest lady you'd ever want to know.

Bronze Conversationalist

Throwing out a couple of ideas...

Can small changes can be made to change the look of the condo? Are there any day programs available in the area where your Mom could socialize with others? 

Conversationalist

I am grieving my husband and also trying to assist my mother by cheering her up.  She is depressed and cries to me a lot.  I guess that's my role.  She doesn't complain to my sisters.  Today was a good day.  My dad and mom and I went to see my niece's artwork in a district-wide art show.  Then we had lunch out.  We don't go out very much but we should.  She seemed happy today.  I'm very glad.

Bronze Conversationalist

Getting out of the house can be very therapeutic. A couple of times while we were out going to doctor's appointments, my husband asked if we could go out for lunch. The times we did that, he said it made him feel like a human being again.

I'm glad you spent time with your family, felt some joy, and had a good day! 

Honored Social Butterfly

Thank you all for the well wishes. Taking it slow

until I feel better ๐Ÿ’œ

Bronze Conversationalist

I hope you feel better too. A back problem needs careful and special care. At least it gets you to slow down. But I know how painful a back problem can be.  Take care.

Honored Social Butterfly

As if grief and everyday life isnโ€™t enough of a struggle, I have hurt my back somehow. After waiting in the car for groceries of all things, it began to hurt. Worse today. Puts a damper on my mood and my to-do list as sitting isnโ€™t very comfortable. Off to my heating pad and Tylenol and hope that brings relief. Hope everyone is doing ok ๐Ÿ’œ๐Ÿ’œ

Bronze Conversationalist

Sorry to hear that you have back pain on top of your grief. Both can definitely impact your mood and ability to mark things off of to-do lists!

It isn't a fun way for your body to communicate with you, but it might be saying it would like some TLC. Take that Tylenol, put on the heating pad and consider it a retreat day. 

I hope you get some well-deserved relief!

Silver Conversationalist

Hope your back is treating you better.. I have a long history of back issues and altho warmth feels so much better I've found that a cold pack actually works better for me reducing the pain.. Gets me back on my feet alot quicker.. Also Arnica Gel is a very good topical.. Hope this helps..

Honored Social Butterfly

Thanks @LeeS4949 for the tips. Iโ€™ve been told moist heat works the best but itโ€™s pretty messy so I stick with the heating pad. I do feel better today so hoping

tomorrow is even better ๐Ÿ’œ

Conversationalist

I wish you a speedy recovery.  Unfortunately, at least in my case, I have personally seen that the death of my husband affected me in all ways, including physical health. That is why everyone keeps saying to take care of yourself.  You are fragile and deserve to take the extra time to rest and eat healthy meals.  Not everyone does, but eventually will realize that we have to be our own best caregivers.  Relax and do something you enjoy.  You deserve it.  All the best.  Sue

Anonymous
Not applicable

1 comment (MONDAY 3/6/23)

Lol Marcy @MarcyW882921 , for me EVERY day in Retirement is the SAME except for "mandatory" leave my apt errands.

As usual, ALWAYS good to hear from you!!! ๐Ÿ’ƒ๐Ÿฅณ

Luv you,

Nicole ๐Ÿค—๐ŸคŽ

0 Kudos
Bronze Conversationalist

That's the beauty of retirement. Every day doesn't have to be the same. We are the masters of our own destiny and have the ability to be creative! 

Marcy

Anonymous
Not applicable

1 comment (SUNDAY 3/5/23)

Well it is nearly 6pm EST for me and I am "counting" down the minutes for tomorrow to get here so EVERYBODY goes back to work!!! ๐Ÿฅณ๐Ÿ’ƒ

I am OLD AND CRANKY/lol ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿคฃ

Grateful this year 2023 has folks out of their apartments = time for me to RELAX and NOT dwell on my grief....

Yes, by SUNDAY, I am on EMPTY and need to "refill" with HOPE that there will be something AHEAD of me that will "add" to my life's journey.

Luv you ALL,

Nicole ๐ŸคŽ๐Ÿค—

Bronze Conversationalist

In days of work, Sunday was the day when everything had to get done to prepare for returning to work on Monday.

Now it can be viewed as a beginning to the week ahead. What do you want the week to look like? What can you do to get things started in that direction? How can you stay on the path? So many questions and now off to find the answers! 

Anonymous
Not applicable

1 comment (SATURDAY 3/4/23)

Hi Marcy @MarcyW882921 , I luv the 4 seasons UNLESS we have too much snow. So far, knock on wood NO snow. I miss my daughter in Florida but NOT missing the year-round Summer with my "hot" flashes. ๐Ÿ˜ญ

Nicole ๐ŸคŽ๐Ÿค—

cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipedeยฎ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP