Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

๐Ÿค” What CHALLENGE(s) Are YOU Facing RIGHT NOW?

Anonymous
Not applicable

๐Ÿค” What CHALLENGE(s) Are YOU Facing RIGHT NOW?

โ–ถ๏ธTo reply, click on reply button at bottom of this post. Enter your text. Click reply button again.โ—€๏ธ

***READ the comments and/or ADD a comment***

Stop by to tell us about YOUR CHALLENGE and support OTHER MEMBERS.

Grief & Loss Team ๐ŸคŽ๐Ÿค—

Recognized Social Butterfly

2 comments (9/18/23)

Hmmm, Marcy @MarcyW882921 , I am wondering IF these would be of "interest" to Florida Collectors, museums and schools.

Gosh, they need to finish your kitchen so I can stop by for dinner! ๐Ÿ™„

Nicole ๐Ÿค—

โœ@MarcyW882921 wrote:

Thanks mc @mc6844 . We are talking about artwork and writings that my husband has invested countless hours creating, boxes of DVDs of his artwork, flash drives of his artwork, a computer and external hard drives, and an abundance of photography equipment. I've been in touch with a photography store twice, I dragged out all of the equipment and took photos as they had recommended, I sent them the photos, and haven't heard back from them. It's too overwhelming to think about so I am just trying to get through a remodeling project.

Marcyโœ

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist

Nicole has a good idea. You can make sure the writing and artwork is in digital format. If it isn't you can have a service do it. Then decide later what you want to do with it. As far as the physical paper goes, I know it's not easy making that decision. Know that his work was seen and will be seen by those meant to see it. 

Bronze Conversationalist

As you say Nicole @SpringIsHereSoHappy , One step at a time! I'll get through this remodel project, we'll have dinner and maybe I can start thinking about this other stuff. ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Marcy

4 comments (9/17/23)

Lol, I bet you could Marcy @MarcyW882921 ๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿ˜‚

Nicole ๐Ÿค—

โœ@MarcyW882921 wrote:

mc @mc6844 , Decluttering didn't help me at all when my Mom passed away. It seemed like a monumental task, but I did finally make it through her things. The decluttering task ahead of my husband's things feels like a big boulder crushing me. Clothing items and books were relatively easy but I have so many other things of his that take up a considerable amount of space in the house. I think I could write a counter perspective to the article you read. ๐Ÿ˜œ

Marcyโœ

Bronze Conversationalist

Maybe just filling one box or bag a day. Unless you're in a rush for some reason. Taking care of yourself is what's most important. Maybe asking a family member or friend to help you is the way to go. It can get to be too much.

Bronze Conversationalist

Thanks mc @mc6844 . We are talking about artwork and writings that my husband has invested countless hours creating, boxes of DVDs of his artwork, flash drives of his artwork, a computer and external hard drives, and an abundance of photography equipment. I've been in touch with a photography store twice, I dragged out all of the equipment and took photos as they had recommended, I sent them the photos, and haven't heard back from them. It's too overwhelming to think about so I am just trying to get through a remodeling project.

Marcy

Honored Social Butterfly

@MarcyW882921 

It has been many years ago but my husband was an artist and I can relate to what you are saying about the overwhelming task with equipment.  

We sold only original work so most of that was sold at the end of his life - paintings and sculptures.    But his editions were original prints - etchings / collographs / mezzotints as well as monoprints.

So I had a rather an large etching press and all the supportive equipment to get rid of in the printmaking studio.  The etching press was big and a weighed about a ton, then the drying rack was just as big and cumbersome.  

I got in touch with the art departments at various colleges and universities and they were very helpful in getting the word out to others and once that was done, I had no problem selling all this equipment and they even moved it - I did give them an excellent price since I knew that my husband would like keeping this art form alive.

I also contacted various publishers and was able to sell the reproductive rights to several of his works and I am still getting royalty payments for them.  

I also marketed some of the giclees which we had captured in huge files before his death.

That has been many years ago and I no longer keep the website up since there hasnโ€™t been any new work in almost 20 years.

Plus the artworld changed drastically in that time with so much digital imaging.  My husband would have loved working in that medium IF he was only able to stick around - but alas, he didnโ€™t get to -

I still have all the photos of my late husbandโ€™s works - I had all the photos digitalization awhile back so the physical space they now take up is rather minimal.  Keeping them for prosperity and for those who come after.  

I still have many old cameras and photo equipment which we used in documenting and promoting his works - I havenโ€™t really worried about getting rid of them - Iโ€™m old, so somebody else can do it when they are packing up stuff which I leave behind at my demise.  They probably will be considered antiques at that time but knowing artist, somebody will pull them out and make something new again with them - 

Good Luck in your task at hand.

It's Always Something . . . . Roseanna Roseannadanna
Bronze Conversationalist

Gail @GailL1, Thank you so much for your response about my monumental task of dealing with my husband's most treasured work. You truly get what I am facing and I love that you contacted visual arts departments at colleges and universities. That is a great idea.

Marcy

Bronze Conversationalist

Dropping by to say hi!  I remember you all in prayer. I just keep going. Grateful I can. Tho slowing down more. Lost my glasses. Walmart Vision  Center got me new pair and only took 2 days! I highly recommened them. Life stuff and we keep on keeping on. For me, it's getting the energy to do things.

I was reading a post about decluttering. I recalled an article about that. It said leave some decluttering for your loved ones. It will help them to grieve.

Bronze Conversationalist

mc @mc6844 , Decluttering didn't help me at all when my Mom passed away. It seemed like a monumental task, but I did finally make it through her things. The decluttering task ahead of my husband's things feels like a big boulder crushing me. Clothing items and books were relatively easy but I have so many other things of his that take up a considerable amount of space in the house. I think I could write a counter perspective to the article you read. ๐Ÿ˜œ

Marcy

One Step At A Time ๐Ÿค—

Regular Contributor

Today, I feel  alone, scared, really missing my Love.....<Monroe.....I need to go to bed...but do not want to....I DO have a sweet doggie...A rescue...and she has rescured me....and I am thankful for her.....I am trying to stay away from the big wave......It will eventually give up...and I will be ....from it and have calm waters around me......Bless everyone grieving.   and all are in my prayers......

Bronze Conversationalist

It's good you're posting Carol! So nice to hear how you're doing....

Bronze Conversationalist

Carol @CarolD435501 , Remember Carol you are not alone. You will always have your love Monroe with you, you have your sweet dog who depends on you and we are here. It is so interesting that your post mentions the big wave and calm waters because I just posted a quote in the We are thinking of You thread. If you have a chance, you might want to check it out. Sending hugs and prayers.

One Step At A Time ๐Ÿค—

Bronze Conversationalist

I got my car returned from the repair shop. They did a good job and I appreciate the work and price. There was delay getting the part etc. A week without a car was too much for me. A neighbor, my adult kids, and Uber helped me get through it. I use a cane for balance issues. Bikes not an option for transport. I try not to worry about the future. Everything costs so much. I try to live as simply as possible for many reasons. I emphasize with everyone on this site and so many hard things to get through. And also just the daily challenges can be tedious and nerve racking. I keep you all in prayer. Take care!

One Step At A Time ๐Ÿค—

Bronze Conversationalist

I lost one of my sister-in-laws this weekend. She was like a sister and almost the exact same age as my own sister. I had spoken to her not long ago and the news hit me like a giant blow! ๐Ÿฅฒ๐Ÿ’”

Marcy

Bronze Conversationalist

Marcy  so sorry for your loss. Prayers your way. Take care.

Bronze Conversationalist

Thanks MC @mc6844 . Your support is greatlly appreciated!

Marcy

Bronze Conversationalist

Marcy I hope you're feeling a little better today. How nice you have your new little puppy to comfort you. Though the losses are so hard to get through. Caring for the pup will help a lot. Take care.

Bronze Conversationalist

Hey MC @mc6844 . Today has been okay so far. There is a lot of action here with workers in and out and that can be stressful. I must think that the more they are here the faster I can get my house back. I love puppies and dogs dearly, but now is not the time for me to consider that possibility. It is way to chaotic even for me.

Marcy

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist

Marcy I am so sorry for your loss.  My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.  Life is so difficult.

Honored Social Butterfly

@MarcyW882921 Iโ€™m sorry to hear that. Was it sudden? Thatโ€™s even worse to deal with. Prayers to you and your family as you grieve another loss ๐Ÿ™๐Ÿ™

Bronze Conversationalist

BeatleloverKT @BeatleloverKT , Yes the passing of my sister-in-law was sudden. I was very shocked when I received the call. I appreciate your prayers as we try to cope with another loss.

Marcy

One Step At A Time ๐Ÿค—

Bronze Conversationalist

Thank you Nicole @SpringIsHereSoHappy !

Marcy

Kudos
Views
Trusted Contributor

Not very good. I lost my husband of 30 years in January. I am trying to figure out what to do now. I have an adult disabled son, he is profoundly autistic and has the mind of a 5 year old. He says Daddy's in heaven but he doesn't understand what heaven is. I had a very bad fall the end of 2020 which resulted in multiple traumatic fractures in my back. I ended up having to have a six level spinal fusion but, I now I have four bulging desks, bone spurs, and permanent nerve damage. 

Honored Social Butterfly

@KimberlyM389662 You have endured a lot.

Taking care of your son is a full time job Iโ€™m sure

compunded by your loss and your physical issues. I hope you have some support to deal with all of this, physical and emotional. We are here for you whenever you need us. God bless

and take care of yourself as well ๐Ÿ’œ๐Ÿ™

cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipedeยฎ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP