Content starts here
CLOSE ×
Search
Conversationalist

Volunteering after loss of loved one

Volunteering, like joining a grief support group, is an important question and ultimately a personal decision.  A lot depends on whether you are ready to become a volunteer and what you are interested in doing.  Try something you would enjoy and see if it works.  Recognize your strengths and limitations.  If you are home-bound, there are virtual volunteer activities out there that are rewarding.  See how it goes.  If it works, good.  If not, feel free to see what would be a better fit for you.  Like most things I experienced on this grievance journey, there are no right or wrong answers.  Like the road we are all traveling, there may a need for a course correction to get a better feel for what we want to do with our time and interests.  Good luck to all.  Sue

Kudos
Views
Replies
Esteemed Social Butterfly

(comment deleted by poster)

0 Kudos
Conversationalist

Nicole, I enjoy animals and have donated funds to local animal shelters, some in memory of my husband.  I am a Friendly Caller and that has been meaningful as well.  Right now, I am volunteering at my church to help the homeless in our area and also the Afghan refugees that are resettling here in the US. I am on an outreach committee, which is a recent activity, and that has opened up a new awareness of small groups setting up in my area to help others.  Very touching and necessary in the times we live in. We provide grants to these groups.  I'm sure there is more out there, but I have a tendency to overcommit. 😚

Regular Contributor

Kudos to you for taking time and resources to help create a better world.  I think AARP should communicate more about the service members like yourself make to their communities and the world at large.  Kindness is contagious. 

0 Kudos

0 Kudos
Conversationalist

You can do it and are already volunteering your time here on the AARP Grief Forum because you care.  Take it "one step at a time" (no pun intended) and try to expand your interests to one or two more activities.  Always have an exit strategy (advice from one of my fellow Loss in Partner widows) in case it is not working.  Enjoy each day as you can.  Some days are better than others and that is alright too. Sue

0 Kudos
Conversationalist

I read your comment on volunteering with animals and that it seemed like a lot of work (my words).  That is the point of finding a volunteering activity that fits your talents and interests, not engaging in strenuous activities or becoming overcommitted.  That sometimes happens, which is why I make donations to local animal shelters to help them rather than engage in active duty at the shelters for a variety of legitimate reasons.  We are not all that young or strong to take on some of the responsibilities with animals.  I love them and worry about their treatment, but I do this through donations not hands on volunteering.  For me this is a good compromise.  We can't do everything at our age or time of life while still grieving.  Hope this helps.  That is why it is good to experiment.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

"I downloaded AARP Perks to assist in staying connected and never missing out on a discount!" -LeeshaD341679

AARP Perks

More From AARP