Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

๐Ÿ“‹ Grieving Loved Ones Targeted in Obituary Scams (AARP ARTICLE)

Esteemed Social Butterfly

๐Ÿ“‹ Grieving Loved Ones Targeted in Obituary Scams (AARP ARTICLE)

Published September 23, 2020. โ–ถ๏ธ  Updated September 08, 2023. โ—€๏ธ

*** I just read this and thought I would share. As usual, comments are welcome! ***

https://www.aarp.org/money/scams-fraud/info-2020/obituary.html

0 Kudos
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Conversationalist

This is so true.  Shortly after my husband died I began to get threatening phone calls stating that my husband owed money to all of these people.  I knew that was not true because my husband NEVER left the house without me and I handled all the finances.  With his stroke he was no longer able to read or write so I knew he was not ordering things on line or over the phone.  It became so bad that I now ONLY answer phone calls connected to names that I know.  I feel if it is important for other callers to speak to me, they can leave their name and number and I will return their call.  They NEVER leave this information.  I then began receiving phone calls from grandchildren saying they needed money because they were in trouble.  It was actually sad at times when young girls would call and call me "grandma".  I asked them why they were so desperate to do this; as I have NO granddaughters, even though I would love to have had one.   My neighbor has been scammed and lost money to these calls.  I also get a lot of scams on my computer and I simply block and erase them.  I no longer trust people as I once did.  The scammers seem to come out of the woodwork once there is a death in the family.  

View solution in original post

Honored Social Butterfly

@SpringIsHereSoHappy wrote:

Published September 23, 2020. โ–ถ๏ธ  Updated September 08, 2023. โ—€๏ธ

*** I just read this and thought I would share. As usual, comments are welcome! ***

https://www.aarp.org/money/scams-fraud/info-2020/obituary.html

Well, Hey @SpringIsHereSoHappy,

Being a member of AARP, I had already read this article that you had highlighted but it brought to mind additional thoughts regarding the use of obituaries.

As a young fellow, I held several different sales jobs before I figured out sales wasn't for me.

I remember that several of those sales jobs used OBITUARIES as a source for leads. I remember it was so uncomfortable contacting these people in their time of grief, trying to sell them something because, due to circumstances, their ability to refuse was at an ebb.

Probably why I got out of sales.

These weren't scam jobs though; they were legitimate positions.

0 Kudos
Esteemed Social Butterfly

1 comment (10/15/23) FROM THE ARTICLE:

Obituary scams, also known as bereavement scams, typically start with information gleaned from death notices in newspapers or posted online.

MY COMMENT:

Gosh, it is like the Criminals are taking over!!! ๐Ÿ˜ค๐Ÿ˜ค๐Ÿ˜ค

As I AGE (now 65), I NO LONGER trust any "humans" except my only child, a daughter. ๐Ÿ’™

As I look back at how NAIVE I was at her age - I thank God EVERY DAY she is NOT as naive as I was = less chances of becoming a VICTIM. ๐Ÿ™

Now we cannot live life DISTRUSTING all "humans" but I NOW (finally) take things VERY SLOW with them. ๐Ÿ‘

Be careful please,

Conversationalist

This is so true.  Shortly after my husband died I began to get threatening phone calls stating that my husband owed money to all of these people.  I knew that was not true because my husband NEVER left the house without me and I handled all the finances.  With his stroke he was no longer able to read or write so I knew he was not ordering things on line or over the phone.  It became so bad that I now ONLY answer phone calls connected to names that I know.  I feel if it is important for other callers to speak to me, they can leave their name and number and I will return their call.  They NEVER leave this information.  I then began receiving phone calls from grandchildren saying they needed money because they were in trouble.  It was actually sad at times when young girls would call and call me "grandma".  I asked them why they were so desperate to do this; as I have NO granddaughters, even though I would love to have had one.   My neighbor has been scammed and lost money to these calls.  I also get a lot of scams on my computer and I simply block and erase them.  I no longer trust people as I once did.  The scammers seem to come out of the woodwork once there is a death in the family.  

cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

AARP Limited Time Offer: Memorial Day Sale! Join or renew for just $9 per year when you sign up for a 5-year term and get a FREE gift.

More From AARP