Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Cannot use same phone number for multiple accounts

Contributor

Cannot use same phone number for multiple accounts

I manage multiple AARP accounts. One is for me and the other for my father who is 90+ and not computer savvy. AARP is now requiring a phone number for MFA (multi-factor authentication) which is a great idea, but it will not allow me to use the same phone number for both accounts. Can this be fixed?

0 Kudos
Community Concierge

Hi Kaboom28! A phone number may only be used once per email address. It is a security feature as well as AARP limits 1 membership per person. Do you have another phone number you can use? -Sue J

0 Kudos
Contributor

Hi Sue, I used two different email addresses - one for my membership and one for my father's membership. So we're paying for 2 memberships for 2 people. However, it seems I cannot use the same phone number for two different email addresses (2 memberships). Is there any workaround? I only have 1 cell phone.

0 Kudos
Community Concierge

Hi Kaboom28! Please reach out to us. You can chat with an agent by clicking the CHAT icon on the right side of the screen. Our team is available Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. โ€” 8 p.m. ET. Or you can call our toll-free nationwide phone number is 1-888-OUR-AARP (1-888-687-2277). -Sue J

0 Kudos
Contributor

Just to close off this thread. I spoke to someone via Chat. She confirmed that it's not possible to use the same telephone number for multiple paid memberships. In addition they have no plans to allow this in the future. As a result, the options that I have now is to acquire another phone number, or cancel one of my memberships as the website will require multi-factor authentication in the near future. My recommendation to the AARP folks is to add support for authentication apps (Duo, 1password, Okta, etc.) or PassKey support. Both are modern day common technologies and would allows users more flexibilities in using multi-factor authentication.

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Space Adventure Pinball and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP