Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Contributor

Walmart pay back

Who in the world saves all their grocery receipts? I live in Cloquet, MN, and we only have one grocery store and Walmart. The city doesn’t want any competition for Walmart apparently, because nobody else has come here, but them. Rumors have been for years, that that we were going to get another store, but has never happened. 
I have had MANY issues with our Walmart. I’ve had to bring potatoes back at least twice, I’ve also had problems with bananas going bad very quickly, and my last experience was, I went to buy sliced ham for sandwiches, and found out there were SEVERAL outdated packages. 
Most of the time, you can’t find anyone to help you, or they don’t have what you’re looking for. I wish we had another reasonable priced store to shop in here in Cloquet. Teens at night are playing around, visiting, and just fooling around. I asked 2 young females who were hanging out with each other for help, they said they would help me. They both walked away and didn’t come back. 
so I have many issues with our Walmart here, but now to find out you have to have receipts for groceries you bought to get your $500 pay back! I’ve shopped there for years, can they not tell by your credit or debit card’s, that you’ve obviously have boughten groceries there? They certainly can check it out when you bring something back without a receipt. As far as I’m, they aren’t living up to their pay back agreement. That’s horrible to tell people you only get a tiny payback if you don’t have your receipts! I have had to bring receipts to customer service more than once. Thank God I check my receipts if I have time, before I leave the store. One day I bought bananas, instead of ringing up $2.35, it rang up as $23.35. Glad I caught that one!

To me, their settlement is a joke

Honored Social Butterfly

Hi, @RhondaS150482. I completely understand your frustrations!

Here are some articles I found online, about the Walmart 45M settlement. One article is an AARP article.

💸   Some Walmart shoppers could get up to $500 in cash from a class-action settlement

[source: npr]

💸   AARP: The Daily - Walmart Grocery Settlement: How to Claim Up to $500 Cash 

[source: AARP.org]

How do you file a claim?

To qualify for a payment, you must submit a claim form, which can be found here.

If you did not receive a personalized Notice via email, click here to complete a Claim Form.

You can also mail a physical claim form to the: Claims Administrator at 1650 Arch St., Suite 2210, Philadelphia, PA 19103.

Alternatively, you can call the claims administrator toll-free at 833-987-9998 to receive a paper copy of the claim form.

How much is the payout?

$10 if you don’t have receipts, proof of purchase or other documentation but attest to purchasing up to 50 weighted goods and/or bagged citrus in person in a Walmart store during the settlement period.

$15 if you don’t have receipts, proof of purchase or other documentation but attest to purchasing 51 to 75 weighted goods and/or bagged citrus in person in a Walmart store during the settlement period.

$20 if you don’t have receipts, proof of purchase or other documentation but attest to purchasing 76 to 100 weighted goods and/or bagged citrus in person in a Walmart store during the settlement period.

$25 if you don’t have receipts, proof of purchase or other documentation but attest to purchasing 101 or more weighted goods and/or bagged citrus in person in a Walmart store during the settlement period.

Up to $500 if you have receipts, proof of purchase or other documentation that substantiates each weighted good and/or bagged citrus purchased in person in a Walmart store during the settlement period. You can get back 2 percent of the total spent, up to a maximum of $500.

How is it paid out?

There are several ways to receive your payment, including via Venmo, Zelle, ACH or virtual prepaid MasterCard. You can also request a paper check if you are unable to receive an electronic payment. You select the payment method when completing the claim form.

When will you get a payment?

It could take months to receive your payment, so be patient. The final approval hearing is slated for June 12, 2024. Barring any delays or appeals, the payment processing will start then. Walmart plans to provide updates regarding the settlement and when payments will be made here.

Can you exclude yourself from the settlement?

You can opt out of the settlement and maintain your right to sue Walmart separately about the claims made in the lawsuit. To do so, send a written request to:

Walmart Weighted Groceries Settlement
​Attn: Exclusions​
P.O. Box 58220
​Philadelphia, PA 19102

Your request for exclusion must be postmarked no later than May 22, 2024.

What if you do nothing?

If you do nothing, you won’t receive a payment from the settlement and you give up your right to sue, continue to sue or be part of a lawsuit against Walmart for the claims resolved in the settlement.

Deadlines to file a claim are as follows:

NOTICE OF PROPOSED CLASS ACTION SETTLEMENT

TO: All Persons 1 who Purchased Weighted Goods and/or Bagged Citrus in-person at a Walmart retail store, supercenter, or neighborhood market in the United States or Puerto Rico (“Walmart Store”) from October 19, 2018 through and including January 19, 2024 (the “Settlement Class Period”). YOU MAY BE ELIGIBLE FOR A CASH PAYMENT FROM A CLASS ACTION SETTLEMENT.

Important Dates

May 22, 2024
Deadline to Exclude Yourself from the Settlement (postmarked)

May 22, 2024
Deadline to Object to or Comment on the Settlement (postmarked)

June 5, 2024
Deadline to Submit a Claim (postmarked)

June 12, 2024 at 10:00 AM ET
Final Approval Hearing

AMENDED CLASS ACTION COMPLAINT  [PDF]

VASSILIOS KUKORINIS,
individually and on behalf of all
others similarly situated,
Plaintiff,
v.
WALMART, INC.,
Defendant.

This lawsuit/settlement is perhaps setting a precedent. Walmart has a history of setting precedents, if you'll research their past lawsuits online. Rather daunting.

I believe this lawsuit to be 'just the beginning,' as a result of the pandemic. We've seen prices go up, almost double the price!

Now, because of this lawsuit and settlement, any business to have claimed to raise their prices 'due to inflation,' may face lawsuits against them, in the near future. That is unless they can prove their price increases are, 'due to inflation.' Those that have raised prices 'due to inflation', with no proof of this being true, will/may have consequences.

In this case, Walmart (unknowingly?) raised their prices, perhaps 'due to inflation,' but this claim could not be backed up by Walmart, so, Walmart, 'settled.' Of course, Walmart never admitted to any price (gouging) increases ('due to inflation'), but their 'quick to settle' seems to be an admittance of guilt, wouldn't you say? I suppose, keep that in mind.

As far as receipts? Well, I keep my receipts for 10 years. It doesn't take up a lot of space. Only 4-tiny boxes.

I junk journal, and use receipts for meaningful purchases (birthdays, anniversaries, etc...). I also use receipts for future pricing comparisons. I always thought it was interesting to compare prices from years ago to the prices of today. The cost of 'living.' It's fascinating to see the difference, especially these past few years.

Regarding Walmart receipts, and some may have noticed this...the ink that's used on Walmart receipts disappear after 'some time.' This may be intentional to prevent returns, replacements, exchanges, etc... The 'disappearing ink' is definitely a suspicious one. I've seen the receipt ink disappear after only a month. When discovered, the receipt is white/blank, there's absolutely no print on them. They cannot be deciphered.

I've been heartbroken by a few of these receipts with, 'disappearing ink.'

One really important receipt that went 'white' was the one where I purchased a bunch of things for my dying cat, last year. I was horrified to see the receipt had no print on it, a few weeks later. Then I remembered...I use several apps where I scan my receipts (for points). Luckily, I was able to get that 'very important receipt' back by downloading it from my device, and printing it. Needless to say, I was relieved! I'd definitely recommend scanning your receipts. 

On that note, Walmart owes me! Hence, I will be submitting a claim form. I do hope to return here with any final outcome. I'd prefer my payment in paper check form, so don't be jelly when I post my $2.00 check here, for everyone to see.  😉

Good luck, out there!  🙂

@RhondaS150482 wrote ‎04-09-2024 01:21 PM:

Who in the world saves all their grocery receipts? I live in Cloquet, MN, and we only have one grocery store and Walmart. The city doesn’t want any competition for Walmart apparently, because nobody else has come here, but them. Rumors have been for years, that that we were going to get another store, but has never happened. 
I have had MANY issues with our Walmart. I’ve had to bring potatoes back at least twice, I’ve also had problems with bananas going bad very quickly, and my last experience was, I went to buy sliced ham for sandwiches, and found out there were SEVERAL outdated packages. 
Most of the time, you can’t find anyone to help you, or they don’t have what you’re looking for. I wish we had another reasonable priced store to shop in here in Cloquet. Teens at night are playing around, visiting, and just fooling around. I asked 2 young females who were hanging out with each other for help, they said they would help me. They both walked away and didn’t come back. 
so I have many issues with our Walmart here, but now to find out you have to have receipts for groceries you bought to get your $500 pay back! I’ve shopped there for years, can they not tell by your credit or debit card’s, that you’ve obviously have boughten groceries there? They certainly can check it out when you bring something back without a receipt. As far as I’m, they aren’t living up to their pay back agreement. That’s horrible to tell people you only get a tiny payback if you don’t have your receipts! I have had to bring receipts to customer service more than once. Thank God I check my receipts if I have time, before I leave the store. One day I bought bananas, instead of ringing up $2.35, it rang up as $23.35. Glad I caught that one!

To me, their settlement is a joke

Trusted Contributor

I save all my receipts for 30 days then I shred them. This is the same thing CVS did if you had your proof of purchase you might get hundreds if not you get around $14. You can't win,

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Space Adventure Pinball and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP