Content starts here
CLOSE ×
Search
Community Manager
Community Manager

FAQs for Blockables

How do I start a new game of Blockables?

Simply visit the game page and click one of the daily puzzle buttons – either timed or untimed. There’s a new one each day! If you’ve already played the current day’s game, you can click “play past puzzles” to access the backlog of games. You can also click “Tutorial” to learn how to play.

What is the goal of Blockables?

In Blockables, your goal is to answer crossword-style clues in a color-coded grid. When the grid is filled in, you’ll get a final phrase that starts in the center and spirals outward, either clockwise or counterclockwise. Fill in the full grid and get the final phrase as quick as you can to win!

How do I play Blockables?

In a game of Blockables, you’ll see a grid on the left side of the screen, a list of clues on the right side of the screen, and a keyboard at the bottom. The clues are color-coded – a “yellow” clue can only be answered in the “yellow” squares within the grid. Answer the clues inside the grid, and remember that you can jot ideas down next to the clues!

How do I place letters in the grid, especially when it’s hard to tell which order to place them?

Sometimes it can be hard to tell where to start an answer, and how the letters flow. The first letter of each answer must be placed in the box with the number (i.e. the first letter of clue 1 must go in the box labeled 1). From there, each subsequent letter must touch another letter in the word (whether right, left, up, down, or diagonal). If there are several options for where to place a letter – if there are several color-coded spots available that all touch the previous letter – it might be too early to know for sure where to place it. That’s where the next step comes in!

How do the clockwise and counterclockwise lines come into play?

To complete a game of Blockables, you’ll need to complete a phrase that begins with the center letter and spirals out either clockwise or counterclockwise. As you insert letters into the grid, a phrase will begin to form below the grid. If you’re stuck on certain crossword clues, look at the phrase – it might give you the information you need to place more letters! Remember that a hint for the phrase is found at the top of the page, and you can click the “clockwise” and “counterclockwise” buttons below the grid to see a representation of the lines you need to follow to read the phrase.

What if I get stuck?

You can always click the “check” and “reveal” buttons above the clues to determine if one of your answers is correct, or if you need a clue answered.

What if I forget what I need to do?

Click the hamburger menu at the top right of the game screen. From there, you can read or watch the game instructions, play the tutorial, or play past puzzles. You can also submit feedback or change your settings, which include colorless mode, dark mode, silent mode, and the ability to hide the onscreen keyboard.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

AARP Limited Time Offer: Memorial Day Sale! Join or renew for just $9 per year when you sign up for a 5-year term and get a FREE gift.

AARP Memorial Day Membership Sale

More From AARP