Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Community Manager
Community Manager

AARP Games: Red Bar (Website Header)

We just recently introduced our new website header (the red bar at the top of the screen) to provide a consistent user interface with the rest of the AARP.org website, improve website familiarity, and increase the speed of page load.

We’ve noticed some desktop users are having trouble with the website header bar impeding gameplay. We have determined adblocking software might be interfering, causing the header bar (red bar) to move down the page as you scroll (see photo below). This issue is remedied for some by turning off adblocking software.

red bar.png

For more information on the new website header, read AARP Games: Mega Menu (Website Header)

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I do not have ad blocking software and the red bar still prohibits me from playing games.  I cannot see the entire game surface because the red bar keeps moving.  When will this issue be addressed so that all of your subscribers can enjoy the games?  I just renewed my membership.  You could have kept the free tote bag incentive and used the money to fix the red bar issue.  I know how to navigate a menu - I do not need it to move around the screen.  Please fix.  Thank you!

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Still no plans to fix the red bar issue that impacts game play? The lack of regard for your subscribers is appalling.  When can we expect a permanent fix?

Periodic Contributor

So,based on the lack of response, am I correct that you will not be fixing the red bar issue? 

Contributor

2 parts make game playing difficult still.

If your mouse even barely touches the menu, the whole thing drops and covers the game.

And

I have to keep the game reduced in size even then to play at all.  I don't have great eyesight so this isn't optimal.

Will it be fixed?  Or is this permanent?

Regular Contributor

I will be careful with my word choice since you already took down one of my posts when I said the ads were no more than money-grubbing.  The red bar is fixed, but that menu below it is worse than the bar ever was because if you touch even the very bottom of it, the whole thing drops down and covers your game.  Nice fix that was.  Today I thought I would try Classic Solitaire, and the WHOLE GAME IS AN AD!  ARE YOU KIDDING?  QUAKER OATS BACKGROUND AND CARDS?  I pay you for a membership that I use for absolutely nothing but the games.  NOTHING.  I will cancel auto-renew and go to Arkadium.  Or buy a download of games for a one time fee and no aggravation.
Was this too much "venting or ranting?"

Periodic Contributor

I have gone strictly to arkadium almost since the beginning of this fiasco.

Periodic Contributor

Since I do not have an ad blocker, I am perplexed.  You said that the issue would be resolved by the end of the month (February) and it has not been resolved.  What is the issue?  AARP claims that one of its goals is to make the lives of seniors easier.  Clearly, that is not true.  I pay to play your games through my membership and your poor computer programming is preventing me from doing so.  I just received my renewal notice.  Why should I renew if I cannot use all of the benefits for which I pay?  Do better!

Trusted Social Butterfly

(3/3/24) @SallyG390361 , just MORE "excuses" to NOT "fix" stuff they mess up!!!  😎  Bottom line, AARP does NOT care about their members.  😎

[*** SALLY @SallyG390361 wrote:

Since I do not have an ad blocker, I am perplexed.  You said that the issue would be resolved by the end of the month (February) and it has not been resolved.  What is the issue?  AARP claims that one its goals is to make the lives of seniors easier.  Clearly, that is not true.  I pay to play your games through my membership and your poor computer programming is preventing me from doing so.  I just received my renewal notice.  Why should I renew if I cannot use all of the benefits for which I pay?  Do better! ***]

Contributor

I am having the same problem and do not use an ad blocker.  I have used the feedback to report my issues but feel like no one ever acknowledges my concerns.  This was not an issue when I first started using AARP's website.  What have they done to make it so user unfriendly?  Could it have anything to do with all the multitude of ads that bombard us every moment when on this site? 

0 Kudos
Contributor

Incredible that situation has not been corrected by now. The floating menu keeps popping up. Ads are everywhere, making pages messy. Classic solitaire now has background of Quaker oats. It is so distracting and hard on my eyes I no longer play it. Who messes up classic solitaire? I believe all these problems are caused by your sales of ads and that revenue tops customer service. I have  been a member 23 years. Sad to see it come to this

Kudos
Views
Periodic Contributor

After posting several messages and getting frustrated by the rollover menu that covers the games I was trying to play, I gave up and joined Arkadium. I no longer have that problem. I have been with AARP for a long time too, and hate to give up. I also stopped my automatic renewal of the membership. I hate that it had to come to this, but after weeks of frustration and being patient that the fix was coming, I gave in and left.

Trusted Social Butterfly

(3/2/24) GOOD for you @SusanB53773 !!! So MANY people "complain" and NEVER figure out AARP does NOT care. Their Jobs Forum is also a joke. We asked @AARPConsumerCare for "assistance" and ZERO RESPONSE. Hate to see you go! 😎

[*** SUSAN @SusanB53773 wrote:

After posting several messages and getting frustrated by the rollover menu that covers the games I was trying to play, I gave up and joined Arkadium. I no longer have that problem. I have been with AARP for a long time too, and hate to give up. I also stopped my automatic renewal of the membership. I hate that it had to come to this, but after weeks of frustration and being patient that the fix was coming, I gave in and left. ***]

Contributor

Hi. I am receiving messages that the issue with AARP Games has been resolved. As of 2/27/24, that is not true in my case and most likely, others as well. Please explain why messaging regarding this concern is incorrect, what is the expected date of repair, and will members be notified of the resolution?

I am curious that AARP, an organization dedicated to improving the lives of seniors, is not addressing this situation in a timely manner. It appears your last update was 2-13-24. Thank you.

Regular Contributor

Well, the red bar no longer floats.  However, as you move your mouse upward during any play, if it even barely touches the menu above, the whole thing drops and covers the game.  WTH!  Do you actually PAY your technicians?

Trusted Social Butterfly

(3/1/24) Lol @bonniesz50  🤣😂  This "issue" has hit the NEWS!!!  AARP better start LISTENING to complaints or lose MORE folks  😎

[*** BONNIE @bonniesz50 wrote:

Well, the red bar no longer floats.  However, as you move your mouse upward during any play, if it even barely touches the menu above, the whole thing drops and covers the game.  WTH!  Do you actually PAY your technicians? ***]

Regular Contributor

Excellent post.  I too, have been receiving copies of messages from users that the issue has been resolved.  Not in my case it hasn't. 

Regular Contributor

Firefox user here.  As of this morning, the red banner is no longer moving, so I guess that's good.  But as soon as I finish the game, it still collapses into a small black rectangle before I can see my cumulative score.  Will it take another three weeks to get this simple programming issue fixed too?

Periodic Contributor

Nope, trying to play Outspell and the menu has now covered my game, so again I have to click the CLOSE MENU button. I cleared my cache and logged out and back in. No, it is not fixed.  While sending this message I had to close the same menu 2 times. 

Periodic Contributor

Be sure to clear browser, cache, and then see if it works okay. I have Firefox and Chrome set to do so when I leave each session. It's not moving today when I view it. Cheers!

Regular Contributor

It seems to be fixed as of this morning (2/26). Fingers crossed it stays that way...

Periodic Contributor

It does seem to be okay as far as the games go.

Periodic Contributor

Nothing has changed for me. Same irritating overlay of the game I am trying to play.

Periodic Contributor

to put it politely- wilco tango foxtrot - how could it possibly take so long to remedy this ridiculous frustrating travesty?- or is the intention to retain it & let the chips fall where they may?

Regular Contributor

Yay it seems to be fixed

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Not for me. I use Firefox and Chrome. Still the same crappy rollover dropdown. 

Regular Contributor

my games and crossword have 1 ad that plays and then I get the games and crosswords with no banner blocking.  Having 1 ad is annoying but I am ok with this as a compromise  I have not cleared my cache or disabled my ad block

Regular Contributor

and now it's not working!!!!  what is going on?

Periodic Contributor

Nope, still dropping down over the game boards. GRRRR. I have been a web designer for 30 years. It is not a difficult fix to stop a rollover and make it a "click to activate" menu. There is no excuse for frustrating paying customers.

Regular Contributor

and there are no longer ads playing

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Space Adventure Pinball and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP