Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

What was the happiest time in your life?

Community Manager
Community Manager

What was the happiest time in your life?

Share your happiest memory and see how many are similar or different than your's.

AARPTeri
0 Kudos
Conversationalist

I know this is an older post, however, I felt that answering would be good. Every day is the happiest time of my life, God gives me another day to enrich other people and bring a smile to their faces.. 

Some reminders of special times: marrying my husband, birth of each of my three children

Some reminders of sad times: The passing of my husband in 2016, the passing of my paternal grandmother in 1978, and my maternal grandmother in 2010. Also the Twin Towers in 2011, my husband going to Desert Storm in 1990-1991, and the current pandemic.

Like everyone I have had some bad times, this is the way God reminds me that bad things happen to good people.

Shari
Bronze Conversationalist

st?  I'm so sorry to hear that you lost your husband...I lost mine as well.  But I don't choose to believe this is a case of bad things happening to good people. I don't believe God is revengeful or "out to get us." 

Silver Conversationalist

For me, I think that those Pre-Covid days were pretty good, all in all. But I haven't given up hope that happy times will happen once again. Everything that ever made me less happy in the past always bloomed onto greater happiness eventually. But looking back, Pre-Covid was better than now, in the middle of it.

It's nice to be important but it's more important to be nice.
0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

In general, my life, in spite of many not so happy times, and some downright awful times, has been relatively happy.  Does that sound conflicted?  It really isn't, because happiness varies throughout our lives and comes from within more than what happens externally.

I think probably one of my happiest periods of life (as well as the most exhausting) was when I found myself the mother of a small sickly adopted baby and eleven months later, gave birth to a daughter as well.  For someone who thought she would never be able to have children of her own it was a period of sleepless nights, frustration, wondering what in the world made me want children, and surrounded with the best kind of unconditional love that one can have from infants,

Trusted Contributor

When I was 13, my Dad fell from an apple tree and passed away a week later...and a couple months later my Mom had a major heart attack and was not expected to live.  Since I was the last of 8 children (and certainly spoiled), being born when my parents were both 49 yrs, I felt my world had come to an end, and that I would never be happy again.  The Dr. said it was a miracle that she survived and that God knew she had to live to be there for me.  For the next year, I was her sole caregiver and "inherited" duties that I had no idea how to do or handle...such as a large house to take care of, cooking special broiled foods, giving her medicine, bed baths, and of course, bed pans...and for all of the 6 months the doctor required her to stay in bed.  From my country school, I ran across fields 4 times a day to check on her and  do all the other care duties again.  Was it hard?  Yes...but I was so happy.  Although I lost my Dad, I still had my Mom and that was the best present in the world.

To make a long story short, she got better, and we sold our country home and rented an apartment in Milwaukee and found a new world with cherished friends and neighbors near, who we loved and spent hours playing cards and enjoying each others company.  I was so blessed and so happy that my Mom ws still here for me and I for her.  I couldn't have asked for more..could you?

Judith J. Hoff
Periodic Contributor

One of the happiest times in my life was when I decided to leave the Bronx, NY and travel to College in Ypsilanti, Michigan(Eastern Michigan University).  I was in my 30s, and this was my first college experience.  I was always the oldest student in the class so I knew all the answers.  The only person older than me, was my history professor.(his notes were the color of gold).  Every day I would be the first one to arrive in class. of course I sat in the front row.  After my classes I would go swimming, and run laps in the gym.  I was in the best shape of my life. I attended frat parties, ate a lot of pizza and met some wonderful individuals...some of whom I am still in touch with.  What a fun time I had! 

Contributor

Living on lake Minnetonka and just going out the front door and down and Hill and jump in the lake always was the best thing I remember when I was a kid

Honored Social Butterfly

Each new day makes me happy ❤️

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Periodic Contributor

This past summer was a high point in my life. After recently retiring from a political science professorship, I spent a good part of the summer exploring the Missouri River near my home in a kayak. Every trip was unique and spectacular. I sighted eagles, great blue herons, ospreys, piping plovers,and least terns; picnicked on sandbars with friends; drifted with the current; battled headwinds; participated in a local race against the spring current. The peace of the river is with me still.

Periodic Contributor

That is a simple one.  My wife and a 4 year old great grand son were diagnosed with canser the same week.  Both had serious problems during and after treatment and I almost lose my wife.  his year we will get together on December 30th as a family; but any time we get together is the happiest time.  Come to think of it the two of us making hot cider this afternoon could have been the happiest.  We don't have many times that would qualify.  We are just two old folks sharing our lives with others.

Periodic Contributor

Raising 2 sons who turned out to be terrific men and my beautiful granddaughter. Great memories of over 50 yrs of wonderful friendships. Hardships that actually made me stronger. Faith / dependency on God and so many answers  to prayer. At 67 yrs young, I can look back and say " All things work for the good...." Romans 8:28

Contributor

I am 71+ years old and have been blessed with countless happy times over the decades for which I am deeply grateful.  However, today I am the happiest because more happy times are added to these bountiful memories.  

Contributor

In 1982 I gave birth to my beautiful daughter, 1985 along came my awesome son!! You just can't top how wonderful your lives become ♥️♥️♥️

Contributor

I try to be happy all the time.  I had/have great parents that were good role models.  Probably the most happiest I have been, other than the first year of marriage, was when my two daughters graduated from high school.  As a sitting school board member, I was able to be a part of their graduation ceremonies.  It was my honor to accept the class on behalf of the Board of Trustees.  I said the same thing each time. "Bon Voyage!" Good journey!  Not many people can say that they had this honor.  I am truly blessed

Contributor

When I had my two beautiful babies. 

Contributor

My happiest time was when I gave birth to my three kids: my two boys 23 and 18 years ago and my baby girl two years ago HeartSmiley Happy

Nice!!! You got your baby girl!! I went for number 3 and had my third son, but it didn’t matter, he’s an awesome young man! Mine are ages 30, 28 and 22 yrs old and I also raised my stepson who is only 3 weeks younger than my oldest and he’s also 30! 

And I just became a grandma to another baby boy!! I love him so much!

My happiest time is the present! I have an amazing wife of 34 years and I look forward to every minute we have together. 

Conversationalist

I think it was when I went to college and met this wonderful person who couldn't speak English.  He could say only 2 words, hi, and bye.  We smiled and laughed a lot.  After, we dated for a year, and his English picked up, he proposed to me but my parents were against it, my parents wanted me to marry a person in the military. ( I couldn't stand military because they are about power,control and force).

I knew he was for me and he loved me so much. He was from Tonga, the Friendly Islands.The Tongans are so friendly and have so much LOVE!

I was blessed with 1 girl and 4 boys.  They are my light of the world and now have 3 grandchildren-2 girls and 1 boy and they are my universe- full of love and light and compassion.

Your story made me smile, so happy for you! Now I hope I understood you right, did you marry the young man after all? Against your parents wishes? I mean seriously, this is your life and you want to be happy and if he’s the one, than he’s the one!!

good Luck and congratulations on all your babies & grandbabies! ☺️

Regular Contributor

My happiest time was when I went away for college.  I felt independent and eager to discover lots of things about the world. 

Contributor

The happiest I’ve ever been was when I too went away to college & escaped from my small midwestern town & joined the world of the intellect & art & the melting pot of peoples from all over the world. I couldn’t wait to explore all that the world had to offer, namely exotic travel & interesting relationships...I embraced an adventurous life all thru my 20s & 30s & that is when I truly felt the most alive!

I have to say that i cant answer this questions because i have a lot of happiest times such as having my children spending time with my father and re connecting with my former husband after 20 years and having a great time

Bronze Conversationalist

My happiest years were when I was divorced after being married for 10 years.  I had an unhappy childhood thanks to a controlling father and a spiteful mother.  I got married to a nice man but it wasn't for me.  We had two small children but I still couldn't stand being married.  He moved close by so the children still had both parents, just in different houses.  I worked three jobs and was able to take my sons with me to the weekend job.  The third job I did from home.  For 25 years I stayed divorced, raised my sons, did what I wanted, and was very happy.  I didn't remarry until my sons were independent adults 25 years later.  Those 25 years living independently were the happiest years of my life.  I'm now 78 years old, and still consider those years the best.

Periodic Contributor

The Happy years are my life now after Divorce. I was married 43 years a dedicated wife and mother. I raised two sons and a daughter. They are the Joy of my Life. I have 5 grandchildren I adore. I now have time for me. I really Love this Single Life. I eat heathy, exercise and want to live an enriched Life .
Conversationalist

I had a very happy childhood.  We weren't rich in money, but we were rich in experiences.  My parents had a business and my brothers and I would help them.  It wasn't work to us but fun!  We had great family get togethers with our aunts, uncles and cousins.  Summers were hot and we would go the lake to cool off; winters were cold and snowy.  It seems like those innocents days are gone and won't be back, sigh!

Regular Contributor

I have lots of happy chapters in my life.   I had a great childhood in the country where I could ride my bike everywhere, enjoy my pets, family activities.   I was happy when I got my job at age 20 & happy when I could retire at age 50.   Now I am at a very happy time in my life with a great husband pursuing all the interests & hobbies I never had the time to enjoy when I was working.   Each new day is a day of possibility. 

Trusted Contributor

I think my happiest time is right now. I’m 64, recently retired, in good health, raised 3 wonderful boys, now men. I can help with grandchildren and really enjoy the one who is most challenging - he sure is like his father! I never remarried, I do wish I would have met someone but I accept single and thoroughly enjoy my active circle of friends. I’m blessed with good fortune and the ability to live life at a high level of engagement on many levels.  

Today.  

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP