Content starts here
CLOSE ×
Search

National DES Awareness Week – April 27 – May 1, 2021

Trusted Contributor

National DES Awareness Week – April 27 – May 1, 2021

Major Drug Disaster – Multigenerational Tragedy!

NEWS RELEASE

APRIL 23, 2021

DES Info: April 22, 2021 marks the 50th anniversary of the DES cancer link being made at Boston’s Massachusetts General Hospital: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doSpbfDcJHc.

Join us in honoring our 43 years of Advocacy for the DES Exposed Community as part of this year’s - DES Awareness week!

Are you aware of The DES Tragedy?  Do you know if anyone in your family is DES (Diethylstilbestrol) exposed?

Research studies published this past year have identified more significant health concerns related to DES [Diethylstilbestrol]:

■ “Diethylstilbestrol exposure during pregnancy with primary clear cell carcinoma of the cervix in an 8-year-old granddaughter: a multigenerational effect of endocrine disruptors” (Hum Reprod. 2021 Jan 1;36(1):82-86)

■ “Screening for cancers of the cervix and **bleep** for women exposed to diethylstilbestrol (DES) in utero” (J Gynecol Obstet Hum Reprod 2020 Dec 10;50(7)

■ “Prenatal diethylstilbestrol exposure and risk of diabetes, gallbladder disease, and pancreatic disorders and malignancies” (J Dev Orig Health Dis 2020 Oct 28;1-8)

■ “Early-life factors, in-utero exposures and endometriosis risk: a meta-analysis” (Reproductive Medicine Online Published: May 14, 2020)

Scientists have now discovered that this drug changed specific DNA in those exposed in utero to DES.  It has now been shown to be a multigenerational mutagen and health concerns have been noted into the third generation.  The fourth generation is now starting to be studied. Millions of DES Mothers, Daughters, Sons and Grandchildren are dealing with these effects every day and many have lost their lives due to their exposure all too young.

DES (diethylstilbestrol), a teratogenic and carcinogenic synthetic estrogen often called "the hidden Thalidomide," is considered one of the world’s greatest drug disasters. It was prescribed to millions of pregnant women for decades: from 1938 into the late 1970s (1971 an advisory notice sent recommending ceasing prescribing DES to pregnant women) in the United States; and until the mid-1980s in parts of Latin America, Europe, Australia, and the Third World. DES is still available in China, India and for Veterinary medicine in Africa

The currently proven effects of exposure include a rare vaginal cancer in DES Daughters; greater risk for breast cancer in DES Mothers; possible risk for testicular cancer in DES Sons; reproductive malformation; infertility; high-risk pregnancies; and an increased risk for breast cancer in DES Daughters after age 40.

There is emerging research that suggests that DES altered gene functions, which means the effects of prenatal DES exposure is not multi-generational. Hypospadias has been noted in DES Grandsons, Ovarian and Clear Cell Adenocarcinoma of the cervix has been noted in DES granddaughters as young as 8 years old.

Thanks to the efforts of former US Senators John Kerry and Scott Brown, the FDA finally acknowledged DES as a "tragedy" after 40 years of silence in 2011. 

To this day, not one drug company has ever apologized or accepted responsibility for the DES drug disaster. However, they have paid millions in verdicts and settlements to DES Daughters and DES Sons who suffered injuries from their prenatal DES exposure.

The 101st Congress did pass legislation to support the DES Exposed Senate Bill #264 and H.T. Bill 730.  The funding has run out and this population of DES exposed needs additional support for research and education for Healthcare Providers.

The effects of the DES Tragedy continue: Persons exposed prenatally to DES could be more prone to develop: Diabetes, Cardiovascular Disease, Coronary Artery Disease, Myocardial Infarction, High Cholesterol, Hypertension, Osteoporosis and Fractures.

Our DES members reach out to us with their thoughts …

• “I am so grateful for you”
  • “I love the DES Info Group for what they do”
  • “Thank you for your ongoing information on DES”
  • “Thanks for speaking out about DES and providing education.  Your work is essential in connecting us as a community”
  • “Thank you for getting the word out to educate more and more people on this horrific drug with generations of lasting effects”
  • “I am grateful to our amazing group DES Info as I feel energized and empowered by both the information, stories, video clips of TV interviews that I read and watch before work”
  • “Thank you for being the free source of DES Information and Support.  I as so glad I found you”
  • “Thank-you for reigniting the focus on DES & spreading awareness”
  • “Thank you for raising awareness about DES”
  • “Thank you for writing about DES and keeping us informed”
  • “Thank YOU for all that you do”
  • “Thanks for posting this valuable info on DES”
  • “Thank you all from the bottom of my heart”

Together we are stronger and we are keeping our story alive!

DES Info and DES Tragedy is the one free source for ongoing DES Information

To learn more, information can be found at: NIH; NIEHS; www.facebook.com/DESInfo; www.cdc.gov/des/index; www.cancer.gov/about-cancer/causes-prevention/risk/hormones/des-fact-sheetwww.heeds.org

For more information, contact Slide22.JPG DESInfo411@gmail.com

In 1985, President Ronald Reagan dedicated this week as National DES Awareness Week April 21-27, 1985. 

DES Info continues to honor National DES Awareness Week.

KMFDallas
0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

AARP Limited Time Offer: Memorial Day Sale! Join or renew for just $9 per year when you sign up for a 5-year term and get a FREE gift.

AARP Memorial Day Membership Sale

More From AARP