Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Bronze Conversationalist

Junk in inbox

Lately,I've been getting more ads in my inbox, notices 'confirming my order" etc. I delete them all, but how can I simply get rid of them for good?The junk in promotions, I simply delete, altho that doesn't stop it.

Sandee2
0 Kudos
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Periodic Contributor

What email service are you using? If it's gmail you can flag things as spam rather than delete them and I believe it's a more effective way of preventing them from contacting you again. 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

One thing I would like to add to this thread is that my recommendation is to have two email addresses.  One address, which is your current one, is known to everyone and people can find it easily (including spammers and scammers).  You should then have another one from a paid email company such as https://fastmail.com or https://protonmail.com and should only be used for financial (banks, investment company, etc.) or other important websites (social security, medicare, IRS, Secretary of State, etc).  Do not give out this email to anyone else.  Now when you get an email in your personal public account, you can ignore it, even if it says it from your bank because that is not how your bank will contact you.

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Something to remember is that just like you can't prevent anybody in the world from dialing your phone number, you can't stop people from emailing you. While it is true that you can mark as spam, report, block  the address and all of those things, the scammers and spammers don't send from the same address for more than one flood email. So while those annoying click bait emails are exactly that, annoying, blocking them will block that address, and when they send it out again next week the address will have changed. Sadly there is little to be done to stop them, but remain diligent in NEVER replying to them. All that does is confirm to the scammers that your email address is valid. They know that their success rate will be next to nothing, but it's like a guy who puts blacktop on driveways. He charges $1 million per driveway. He doesn't get many jobs, but boy, if he ever gets ONE... That's the mentality of a mail scammer. Do you also get email telling you that your "Noorton" or you "Nortoon" is expired and you can renew by clicking a link? Or McAffee, MacAfee, McAfeee... Your Walmart gift card is waiting, your Costco card won a drawing... Just keep deleting. That's pretty much all you can do because the senders aren't real.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

What email service are you using? If it's gmail you can flag things as spam rather than delete them and I believe it's a more effective way of preventing them from contacting you again. 

0 Kudos
Bronze Conversationalist

OK !  ๐Ÿ˜Š

Sandee2
0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipedeยฎ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP