Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

June 24 major update to Win10 news

Honored Social Butterfly

June 24 major update to Win10 news

Windows 10 may be getting a major update soon, or at least information on it, come June 24th.

Major Windows update 

Now, before any iPad users or latest greatest M1 chipset users get overly excited, cpu in Apples latest iMacs laptops etc.

Just like old Intel users had to get a firmware update, you’re in the hot seat for now.

Expect Apple will need to issue a firmware update to the CPU for M1RACLES

unpatchable mac-chip 

iPhone users a CVE number was recently released for us, for a flaw in the programming dating back to 2015, for all iOS users.

And approximately 1500 apps that weren’t thoroughly checked by Apple, before going on their web store.

I’ll post a link if I ever find it, may have been on hackread or wired.🤔

150 Million users of iOS and Apple products worldwide, they didn’t warn anyone. 

Ah, the joys of returning to work, post pandemic.Time to play before catch-up time, woohoo! I get 2 days off, before checking out 100 iPads, laptops and desktops, hopefully older versions of M series cpu.🤣🤬

Froze

And yes, after long days/nights, I'd still like to swing these hunks of glass , plastic and silicon against the nearest wall Come on retirement!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Honored Social Butterfly

The great news is Updated all my computers last night, running Windows 10, including the upgrades from 7 and my newer I9’s built for Win10.

Including that pesky 2021-5 Cumulative Update Preview for Windows 10 20H2.

Started @8:00 Pm, and finished at 1:10am.Only appeared to die “long pauses” at 20 and 40% just let it run and it completed the update.Long pauses of 2-3 hours.

For Apples M1 CPU issues in iPads, desktops and laptops, the great news is M1 CPU’s we’re only in computers sold this year.
If you have any other CPU  “like Intel” your Golden.

The good news is like the Intel 3,5,and 7 in Windows 7,8 and 10,

a simple firmware update should fix it. Honestly can’t recall where I ended getting my update for I 5 and I 7 CPU’s for Windows, too long ago. Probably from Intel,, vs M$.

Just a roll of the 🎲 🎲 dice if Apple will tell you what the update is for. Proprietary everything that they are.

Froze

And yes, after long days/nights, I'd still like to swing these hunks of glass , plastic and silicon against the nearest wall Come on retirement!

View solution in original post

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist

Are you referring to Windows 11? No definite words that it is going to be a free upgrade.

Honored Social Butterfly

Sc,

No definite news that it won’t be either. End of life for Win10 is 2025? October maybe.Vaguely recall talk of Windows 11 as subscription service.

Windows 11 is built on Windows 10 backbone, according to Microsoft. Guess I’ll find out on whatever date, I did register for it.Keep applying the updates and we may all find out at the same time🤣.

Leaked?? Windows 11’s I’ve seen, may be legit or dream state, just don’t know. Best I’ve seen is more Linux like icons.

Still up to my ears in Apples and Mac’s and never thought I’d be playing with them🤣.

Froze

Conversationalist

It is official now. Windows 11 will be a free upgrade from Windows 10 just like Windows 10 was a free upgrade from Windows 7 and 8. The "minimum" hardware requirements are 64bit cpu, 4gb of ram and 64 gb of hard drive space. It will just come as a regular update as the same way as the Windows 10 update.The exact release date has not been announced.

Social Butterfly

@sc10  Please tell us where you got your information or provide a link to the information.

Windows 11 Specifications - Microsoft

Honored Social Butterfly

Most everything seen , says most all computers made within last 5-10 years will take the upgrade.

If they meet the minimum set of standards, subject to change. Prepare to be pointed to another article.

Windows 11 upgrade 

Or google search ZDNet🤣

All zdnet links to confusion 

Chances are good for most if you can turn your UEFI on in Bios. Have a M$ account, on Microsoft or using another email address, and can remember your password (just in case), vs shortcut combo.

Reason for first link , simple explanation👍Borderline on geek terms.

My Intel 5 upgrade to 10, from Windows7 is a crap shoot on upgrade path to 11. Loads of 32-bit drivers for some of the built-in cameras, fingerprint readers, and blue tooth. Lenovo has not as yet, updated their 32-bit drivers from 7 although my Lenovo is 64-bit system, and UEFI enabled.8Gb, and 750 Gb HDD.

My other Intel 9 cpu should be a snap on upgrade path to Windows 11. It’s two years old presently and every driver is 64-bit.

UEFI , with 32 Gb, and 1 Tb HDD, otherwise my screams might be heard in CA.🤣

Now or later down the road, after or if  bugs happen.

Best advice possible is do backup of all of your data and keep applying those updates. Pictures, documents, passwords, it’s just easier.

I found the zdnet link fair warning some of the terms will be pure geek/ technobabble that I hadn’t heard since college, and I had to google.

Didn’t read @sc10 CNET article as yet, might be the same as zdnet as they’re both owned by Red Ventures.

Froze

Conversationalist

I probably will try the beta release on my spare laptop once it is available. I am looking forward to see the new feature of running Android apps natively on Windows. Android apps will be available through Amazon app store and I believe they can be side loaded for the ones not on Amazon.

Honored Social Butterfly

The great news is Updated all my computers last night, running Windows 10, including the upgrades from 7 and my newer I9’s built for Win10.

Including that pesky 2021-5 Cumulative Update Preview for Windows 10 20H2.

Started @8:00 Pm, and finished at 1:10am.Only appeared to die “long pauses” at 20 and 40% just let it run and it completed the update.Long pauses of 2-3 hours.

For Apples M1 CPU issues in iPads, desktops and laptops, the great news is M1 CPU’s we’re only in computers sold this year.
If you have any other CPU  “like Intel” your Golden.

The good news is like the Intel 3,5,and 7 in Windows 7,8 and 10,

a simple firmware update should fix it. Honestly can’t recall where I ended getting my update for I 5 and I 7 CPU’s for Windows, too long ago. Probably from Intel,, vs M$.

Just a roll of the 🎲 🎲 dice if Apple will tell you what the update is for. Proprietary everything that they are.

Froze

Kudos
Views
Honored Social Butterfly

The great news subject to change is that hacks exist for back to 2008 CPU’s, that allow changing from BIOS boot to UEFI (M$ requirement for 11 and TPM).

Within the 5-8 year old cpu window of age your Golden on free and update to Windows 11.

Starting to see hacks appear in YouTube in advance of release of 11. Will it be a pita - heck yeah but, it is possible.

conversion tool already exist in Window OS.

Froze

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Asteroids® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP