Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Conversationalist

Taking care of mom

My loss of my husband was sudden and I didn't have a caregiver role.  But now my mother has dementia and depression.  My dad takes care of her.  I phone and visit for her mental wellbeing.  She likes to lean on me for emotional support.  I also think my dad should seek out caregiver tips and educate himself about dementia.  I also suggested support groups but he would never go to one.  He doesn't realize he needs information.  He is a super active 86 year old.  He cooks, shops, cleans, does the bills, etc.  But he doesn't talk to her like she would like.  But I think we are good as a team as we three went to see my niece's artwork at an art show today and then to lunch.  I'm trying to be more involved in her care.

Contributor

I understand what you are going through. I take care of my mother. It is hard to see how she is now with her health issues. I wish I can turn back the clock. It has cause me to become depress because I can't fix her. I can't make her better.  

Bronze Conversationalist

It must mean so much to your mother that you call and visit.Many families have a hard time with a call or visit during these times.

cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Space Adventure Pinball and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP