Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Hygiene

My father in law won’t bathe or change clothes
Periodic Contributor

Not a complete solution, but I have found a bidet to help keep my father much cleaner than otherwise. He was definitely cleaner in his nether regions, as were his hands!
0 Kudos
Contributor

This is a very common issue with people with dementia.  My dad won't shower either or change clothes, unless a caregiver can convince him to.  Which usually takes telling him that his doctor said he has to.

0 Kudos
Contributor

My husband has dire mobility issues - he cannot negotiate our tub (too high) nor our 29" square shower (he's too big and wide). My solution has been sponge baths in the bed.  I have a waterproof king size flat bed sheet, lots of towels and a package of full-body disposable washcloths (used for campers).  That takes care of his body. I give him pedicures every few months and a dye shampoo and hair cuts.  I had to just create new standards that I could live with since the bathroom is too dangerous.  Once he's naked, I change his shorts and tee shirts.  Hope this helps!                                                                                     

Honored Social Butterfly

WHY ?

It's Always Something . . . . Roseanna Roseannadanna
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Block Champ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP