Content starts here
CLOSE ×
Search

The Hartford refused to insure my new electric vehicle

Periodic Contributor

The Hartford refused to insure my new electric vehicle

I contacted The Hartford to add my new 2023 Polestar 2 electric vehicle to my longstanding auto policy.  They refused, without explanation.  My driving record is perfect, I had just earned the no claims discount. I promptly insured this vehicle with GEICO.  I suggest that AARP reconsider their relationship with The Hartford, as this company obviously is not aligned with environmental stewardship and reducing the impacts of vehicular pollution.

Honored Social Butterfly

CNBC 02/19/2022 - Why Tesla and GM want to be big in a new kind of car insurance business

Bullet points from the article:

• Tesla offers its own insurance in five states, with plans to reach 45 states this year.
  • EVs are expensive to insure in many cases, because they’re fast and mechanics for them are scarce.
  • EV makers can insure their own products for less because the cars gather so much data.
  • GM expects the first state approvals this year for its safe driver-based OnStar insurance offerings.
It's Always Something . . . . Roseanna Roseannadanna
0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

Periodic Contributor

zaparero,

Good advice regarding checking with insurance company BEFORE purchase.  I did just that, and The Hartford sent me a confirmation of coverage BEFORE I took delivery.  Two weeks later, when my online policy still did not show the new vehicle, I called, worked my way up the food chain, and finally spoke to a manager who informed me that they would not insure the vehicle after all.  I consider this as a failure of integrity and business ethics, hence my attempts to get the attention of AARP and let others know of The Hartford’s unacceptable business practices. 

Regular Contributor

Hi @JamuJoe ! 

You can always contact AARP for help if there's an issue with an AARP provider. Please use this link (https://help.aarp.org/s/) to contact us by phone, chat or text.

• Description of your issue
  • Mention that you are requesting an escalation
  • Provide your AARP membership number

We look forward to hearing from you!

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Actually, any contact to AARP regarding insurance is redirected to The Hartford. AARP endorses The Hartford but takes no responsibility for products or services. 

0 Kudos
Regular Social Butterfly

Instead of the response you provided, why not investigate @JamuJoe 's post and find out why The Hartford doesn't insure their vehicle?

Just asking...

#StaySafe

#VegasStrong
Phil Harris, actor and showman, to John Fogerty of CCR: “If I’d known I’d live this long, I’d have taken better care of myself.”
0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

"I downloaded AARP Perks to assist in staying connected and never missing out on a discount!" -LeeshaD341679

AARP Perks

More From AARP