Content starts here
CLOSE ×
Search

Consumer Cellular is absolutely NOT transparent about their junk fees

Contributor

Consumer Cellular is absolutely NOT transparent about their junk fees

I recently signed up with Consumer Cellular for one line at a low data usage and was very happy with the onboarding experience and the customer service contact I had. I also read their promises of transparency with pricing. Today, I got my first invoice, and boy!!! They are absolutely NOT truthful in their pricing.

Nowhere in the information I saw leading me to sign up, or in my account information during my first month to indicate horrible added profit junk fees that were not included in the quoted price. I understand about government accessed taxes and fees, and I'm not talking about that (although other MVNOs like Visible and Red Pocket clearly include those in their quoted pricing).

I'm talking about pure added profit junk fees which they give fancy names to implying they are government-imposed, but they are not. Specifically, Fed USF Cellular: Federal which is NOT a federal government fee, and Operational Compliance Fee which was $6.24. The latter has quadrupled in the past year, and none of their marketing material is up front about it.

Shame on Consumer Cellular for one-upping the rental car companies in hiding phony fees, and shame on AARP for endorsing them so strongly.

Heading back to an MVNO that is honest enough to publish out-the-door pricing.

Periodic Contributor

Their junk fees are just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to Consumer Cellular. No matter what the issue, you have to pick up ALL shipping charges to and from them, even if it is faulty equipment.

They are a fraudulent operation that preys on seniors through lies and deceit. 

No matter what you are told by their "customer service" reps, do not believe them, especially if you are purchasing a phone through them. I was told I could exchange a flip phone, which was technically incoherent on so many levels, for a less expensive, easier to use phone for my elderly friend.

I was forced to pick up all shipping charges and then found out they refused the phone because it wasn't "like new". The issue? A microscopic scratch in the charging port. Other than that its appearance and functionality were perfect.

Also, don't be fooled by their AARP endorsement. When I complained to AARP, they dragged their feet contacting Consumer Cellular and then weeks later told me there was nothing they could do.

Buyer (especially seniors) be very, very careful with both these organizations. They are not what they say they are.

You're right. CC is not the company that it once was. AARP should not be giving them its imprimatur.

Periodic Contributor

I have the same complaint. I've been a customer for a long time and it's been a good experience until recently when they started raising their junk fees. Now, I too am considering leaving. The charges for minimal coverage are not much different from unlimited all inclusive plans elsewhere.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

AARP Limited Time Offer: Memorial Day Sale! Join or renew for just $9 per year when you sign up for a 5-year term and get a FREE gift.

More From AARP