Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Contributor

Claiming daily rewards

No one at AARP seems to be able to explain how if you have a daily deal in your cart 2 seconds after it opens up, it sells out before you can even get to check out. Can people actually check out in under 30 seconds? It asks me to verify my account before I can even get to my purchase. I did a test run the day before to see how fast I can check out and it didnโ€™t go quickly but I didnโ€™t lose my item because I had 8 minutes to check out. I asked for a list of the people who got the hot daily deals that sell out in less than 30 seconds and was told they donโ€™t have that information. So does anyone know anyone who actually got the hot deals this week? The Southwest Airlines $50, the Chevron $50? Does anyone think thereโ€™s something wrong here? 

0 Kudos
Silver Conversationalist

Here is an update on my purchase of the $50 Chevron Daily Deal. 

I received a call back from an AARP rep, and it was acknowledged that a charge went through my credit card with no corresponding gift card attached.  I am now waiting for the charge to be reversed.  It will take several days for the charge to be reversed.

The electronic glitch should never have happened.  IMHO, once the gift card is added into the cart, there should be ample time allowed to check out and pay for the gift card.  The site can't handle the amount of  traffic and the reason for errors and electronic glitches. The program should not allow us to add the gift card into our cart if the number of available gift cards are already in the carts of others.  Once the number of gift cards available have been met in the cart, the program should stop additional people from adding the gift card to the cart.  I hope that AARP will take this issue seriously, as it is not right to be charged for something you can't get.   I hope going forward that it won't happen again.  I'm not sure if my response to the rep will get to the proper channels for correction.   I hope other members will also voice their opinions trying to purchase the Daily Deals.

0 Kudos
Silver Conversationalist

I am still waiting to receive the Chevron $50 gift card as I was able to check out and got a pending charge on my credit card, however, I did not receive the gift card email yet,  and it hasn't posted on my transaction history.  There was a message at the end of the transaction that it may take 24 hours for the transaction to complete.  Fingers crossed, that I will get the gift card.

0 Kudos
Contributor

• So it sounds like itโ€™s like the instant win. If youโ€™re picked to get it, then youโ€™re lucky. Itโ€™s not how fast you are. Makes sense now. Thank you for replying. Hope you get it!
0 Kudos
Silver Conversationalist

It's been 24 hours, but I haven't received the gift card yet.  The charge posted to my credit card today, so it's no longer a pending charge.  AARP now needs to send me the gift card since it has been purchased.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Thanks for the update and keeping us posted.

0 Kudos
Silver Conversationalist

I called Customer Service and disappointed that I won't be getting the gift card even though I was charged for it.  I'll have to keep a close eye to make sure the charge will be reversed.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Iโ€™m so sorry. I was hoping for a success story. 
Also it means this process is quite suspect and open for a discussion with AARP. Thank you so much for the update. 

0 Kudos
Silver Conversationalist

Thank you @laca69 .  It appears there is no guarantee to receive the popular and limited gift cards even if charged for it.  I hope AARP can address this issue because the charge shouldn't have gone through my credit card when AARP can't honor the purchase. 

0 Kudos
Silver Conversationalist

@JoLo49 

Same here JoLo,Linus.GIF

was hoping you would have a better outcome. so sad that things have deteriorated to this point. This program is so wrought with errors it makes one just want to just give up, 

lucyp061351
0 Kudos
Silver Conversationalist

Hi Lucy,

It is what it is, and not only limited to the Daily Deal cards, but numerous members have reported not getting their cruise line gift cards after purchasing.  I would not have been as disappointed if my transaction didn't go through with no charge on the credit card, but I'm more disappointed that I was charged for something I wasn't able to get.  I am keeping a close eye on my credit card account to make sure the charge will be reversed.  It took AARP only 1 day to post the charge onto my credit card, but it looks like it will take 3 to 6 days to reverse the charge.  I was told not to dispute the charge with the credit card company,  and AARP will take care of it.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I totally agree and am going to definitely pursue this with AARP to see if this is an actual website problem and/or if these hot deals are actually obtainable. 

0 Kudos
Contributor

I stumbled across this thread.  The same issue continues to cause frustration.  You are encouraged by AARP to take these points earning opportunities, but they offer very few valuable rewards, and those are gobbled up almost immediately.  I find offerings of โ€œinstant winsโ€ and โ€œsweepstakesโ€ frustrating and pointless.

cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Space Adventure Pinball and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP