The AARP Movies for Grownups Awards premieres tonight on many PBS stations. Watch at 9 p.m. ET.

Highlighted
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: re: starting to write a memoir

Message 1 of 30

There was a time period when people wasn’t aware about the existence of ghostwriter. Don’t get surprised, ghostwriter are human being just like all of us! Just because of their mysterious and secretive job they are called as ghostwriters. You can easily hire memoir writers who are now offering their extraordinary services and features to their customers who wants someone to write for them and let them to use their name in the place of the real writer of that writing material.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

re: starting to write a memoir

Message 2 of 30
In Response to starting to write a memoir:

Where does one start in writing a memoir?

Interesting question.  I think my memoir writing started like alot of folks by journaling.  And my journaling started in the middle of my life when I think alot of us start reflecting about life, the first half of our lives and what the second half may hold for us.  I'm not sure how organized my memoir writing is because I don't journal on a regular basis.  Rather, I will write when I have a life experience that moves me in some way.  I can't tell you that I know it's going to happen.  I truly think that God and the Holy Spirit are moving in and around me when I experience something that inspires me to 'write about it' witness my most recent posting about a snowstorm in Minnesota on Christmas eve.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 30
In Response to post:

I too am a retired university professor so I have had experience in writing articles for publication or presentation at conferences.  However, that did not prepare me to write non-fiction or fiction.  I don't know if one is ever prepared but as the saying goes "necessity is the mother of invention," and when my wife died I wanted to write her story from diagnosis to death.  So I wrote, "It Was a Privilege to Care for Her." I was not sucessful in finding an agent so I self published the book with Trafford Publishing Co. 

I, too, lost my wife and have been wanting memoirs about the ordeal.  May I ask how to get a copy of your book of memoirs?

My email address is: rcgollott@bellsouth.net

My mailing address is:  Charles Gollott

100 Emogene Place

Mobile, AL 36606

Thank you very much for your time.

Peace,

Charles

Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 30

I don't think about publication except to my family. I want my kids and their kids and their kids' kids to know that I once lived, breath and made a contribution to society. Writing memoirs is an on going process for me. I haven't put anything down in chronological order. I write about events, people, and places (and a lot of other things) in my life. I add my thoughts and impressions so on day my great great great great grandchildren will know me. It's also very theraputic

Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 30

I too am a retired university professor so I have had experience in writing articles for publication or presentation at conferences.  However, that did not prepare me to write non-fiction or fiction.  I don't know if one is ever prepared but as the saying goes "necessity is the mother of invention," and when my wife died I wanted to write her story from diagnosis to death.  So I wrote, "It Was a Privilege to Care for Her." I was not sucessful in finding an agent so I self published the book with Trafford Publishing Co. 

Kudos
Views
Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 30
In Response to post:

I am from Schenectady.  Being a retired professor I have written plenty over the years, but no fiction and no memoirs.  I have read lots of memoirs and lots of biographies.

I want to mix and mingle here with non-university people and think/write about my life.  I have had basically a great life with a few bumps thrown in here and there.

When I get a little more time, I will go back and read the earlier posts here.

What made you want to write your memoir?

thanks for the comments

I found my voice in writing when I was a child. It made me feel more in control, even when I wrote about things I could not control - like the murder of my mom when I was 7 years old. I've led a very interesting, convoluted, chaotic life where writing was my salvation through many a trying time. Its similar to how some actors/actresses who led tough lives are better in their craft due to those experiences, or how they can take on many different attributes to bring to life the various characters they play. Marilyn Monroe was a wonderful example of this.

Cee
Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 30
In Response to post:

It was not really a new idea for me. I went to New Hampshire University's summer writing program for teachers, 1988, and have been writing a lot of different things since. A lot of journal writing, where memoirs pop up from time to time.

And for me, sitting around Thinking the memoirs can sometimes be a bit on the blue side, for me. But writing them and sharing them, it's a whole different feeling. The community. The connections.

I wish I had kept a journal all these years.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 30
In Response to post:

I am from Schenectady.  Being a retired professor I have written plenty over the years, but no fiction and no memoirs.  I have read lots of memoirs and lots of biographies.

I want to mix and mingle here with non-university people and think/write about my life.  I have had basically a great life with a few bumps thrown in here and there.

thanks for the comments

It was not really a new idea for me. I went to New Hampshire University's summer writing program for teachers, 1988, and have been writing a lot of different things since. A lot of journal writing, where memoirs pop up from time to time.

And for me, sitting around Thinking the memoirs can sometimes be a bit on the blue side, for me. But writing them and sharing them, it's a whole different feeling. The community. The connections.

Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 30
In Response to post:

Hello - I see you've gotten several responses already, so thought I'd add my two-cents to the pot, also.  I've always kept a diary, journal or series of notes as far back as I can remember. I also keep a pad of paper & a pen by my bed because I seem to have my most vivid remembrances just as I'm either falling asleep, or shortly before I wake up. My big task will be gathering all my hardcopy writings & transferring them into electronic files so I can more easily organize them. I must have written at least 6 different opening paragraphs for my book over the years.

I'm curious - are you an editor? Your 'handle' seems to indicate that you are. If so, maybe that's why you're having trouble getting started - you';re used to working from the point of something already being written.  As for NY, as someone already asked - what part? I was born in western NYS, near Lake Erie.

Read through the topics/replies/profiles/journals in this forum & see if any of them get your juices flowing. If so, write about what comes to mind. Editing, as you know, comes later. Back track & post replies to old 'Writing Prompts', post a 'New Topic' of your own to get others' thoughts & see if that triggers any remembrances for you. Talk to family & friends about what they remember about fads, fashions, food trends, family gatherings, holidays, vacations, etc. Something will strike you or start memories flowing & when it hits you'll know. There's no other feeling quite like it.

thanks for the comments

Kudos
Views
Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 30

Hello - I see you've gotten several responses already, so thought I'd add my two-cents to the pot, also.  I've always kept a diary, journal or series of notes as far back as I can remember. I also keep a pad of paper & a pen by my bed because I seem to have my most vivid remembrances just as I'm either falling asleep, or shortly before I wake up. My big task will be gathering all my hardcopy writings & transferring them into electronic files so I can more easily organize them. I must have written at least 6 different opening paragraphs for my book over the years.

I'm curious - are you an editor? Your 'handle' seems to indicate that you are. If so, maybe that's why you're having trouble getting started - you';re used to working from the point of something already being written.  As for NY, as someone already asked - what part? I was born in western NYS, near Lake Erie.

Read through the topics/replies/profiles/journals in this forum & see if any of them get your juices flowing. If so, write about what comes to mind. Editing, as you know, comes later. Back track & post replies to old 'Writing Prompts', post a 'New Topic' of your own to get others' thoughts & see if that triggers any remembrances for you. Talk to family & friends about what they remember about fads, fashions, food trends, family gatherings, holidays, vacations, etc. Something will strike you or start memories flowing & when it hits you'll know. There's no other feeling quite like it.

Cee
Kudos
Views