From travel insurance to fraud protection, AARP has you covered. Take a closer look at your member benefits.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: "Love Your Age" Spa Giveaway

Message 1021 of 1,135

I lost all my belongings, and only vehicle during the hurricane.  I am extremely stressed out, and need a break

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 1022 of 1,135

I will tell you my age in a moment, but let me say that I retired 22 years ago and I was old enough to collect SS. I am living a very Happy Life at this point. YES, I have some aches and pains and am a Insulin dependent Diabetic. But I also continue to work 2 - 8 hour shifts nightly each week. I play Pinochle and Cribbage several days a week. I also spend time Four-Wheeling in the Mountains. All though I don't have an Exercise program. I feel that my life style is enough physical exercise. Now to get to the "Nither Gritty" I feel that the the way to a SUCCESSFUL LIfe and LONGEVITY is a Happy Marriage. If you have a good marriage and a feeling of fullmitment you are destined to live a long time. Now I will tell you I am 83 years old and mt wife is 82. Very few people we meet believe our age, becase of our activities, but we believe that the "Rocking Chair" is fdor OLD People and we have'nt reached that point yet. God Bless You All. Johninnevada 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 1023 of 1,135

My hubby is suffering from Parkinsons Disease. I am his only caretaker. A break would be a dream.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 1024 of 1,135

As a freshly retired middle school teacher, slowing down and enjoying my life is already difficult.  I'm not bored by any means, and I love being able to have some down time.  However, I'm having a hard time thinking I'm being "productive".  Teaching was a constant effort to make sure I was doing the best for my students, and now it's a bit difficult to switch that effort over to a more selfish idea of taking care of myself now.  I need to know it's O.K. to be selfish at times.  Habit to change is dumping the idea of thinking and worrying about doing the best and excelling.  I need to adopt the philosophy that it's O.K.  and it's time to work on me and my relationship with myself.  

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Love Your Spa - Life Change

Message 1025 of 1,135

I had several surgeries last year and currently have a ostomy bag. I hope to have the bag removed this year and to start at the gym and firm my stomach back up.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 1026 of 1,135

I am the spouse of Kevin and both of us are public high school educators of students in Wisconsin.  We both are still teaching, with me turning 53 this coming April and Kevin having just turned 50 this past December. 

Over the past 10 years, or so, each of us has seen a signficant increase in the number of traumatized students entering our classrooms each new school year. Their trauma has signficantly reduced their readiness to learn anything we are expected by the public to teach them.

This realization has made me extremely grateful for being nearly 53 because I have been fortunate enough to make significant progress over the past 10-15 years with healing from my own traumatic past. 

I am increasingly aware of how the traumatic outbursts of my students was frequently triggering my own traumatic flashbacks and stress.  Having my past traumas repeatedly triggered resulted in my responding to those situations in ways which made their situations worse, instead of helping them heal.

Since mostly addressing my own traumas, I am now the calm to their storms, no longer having knee-jerk responses to traumatic outbursts from students or their parents/guardians.  

The reason I am sharing this on this venue is because I am now so much happier, secure, and content at nearly 53 years of age than I was when I was younger.

I gauge the progress of my personal healing against the backdrop of the ongoing misery each of my siblings continues to display; misery resulting from their hanging onto similar traumas all of us jointly experienced during our formative years. 

I hope others are inspired to dig deeper into their own traumatic pasts and to ultimately decide to work through those traumas.  Continuing to ignore and bury personal traumas and having them repeatedly triggered by the behavior of others causes each of us to perpetually relive those traumas, adnauseum.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 1027 of 1,135

@songbirdiva wrote:

Just today at work, my coworker who just turned 50 was complaining how his body has started to give him trouble with aches and pains. He said "I guess I'm getting old"! I responded "Hey I'm way older than you, so I know what you mean!" He asked my age and I replied "just turned 58 on Feb. 2!" I had to show him my driver's license because he didn't believe me. He thought I was in my 40's!!!

So a spa day would be a perfect belated birthday gift!! 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 1028 of 1,135

Just today at work, my coworker who just turned 50 was complaining how his body has started to give him trouble with aches and pains. He said "I guess I'm getting old"! I responded "Hey I'm way older than you, so I know what you mean!" He asked my age and I replied "just turned 58 on Feb. 2!" I had to show him my driver's license because he didn't believe me. He thought I was in my 40's!!!

So a spa day would be a perfect belated birthday gift!! 

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 1029 of 1,135

Now that I have retired, I joke that I am in my "selfish phase" because I really enjoy having time for myself. A spa day would be a delightful, and healthful, indulgence.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 1030 of 1,135
You might switch to decaf tea, I don't think anything is wrong with drinking this. It may be caffeine that you're craving. Best of luck!
Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Have a question about AARP membership or benefits? Ask it in the AARP Help Membership forum, Benefits & Discounts forum, or General forum.

multiple white question marks with center red question mark

Top Authors