Looking for a part-time job? AARP's online career fair Jan. 24 can help! Register for free.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: "For My Grandchild" Book Give Away Sweepstakes

Message 71 of 98

I just started my fourth year as a retired Middle School Administrator.  My plan was to be retired by the time my two oldest grandkids started Kindergarden, and I did!  Both started kindergarden a week apart and I was able to attend school and "Meet the Teacher" with each of them. 

Both of my kids know I have a list to share with my grandkids (in my obituary) that reiterates what I have been trying to show and impress upon them as the grandkids grow and develop. These are things I work with them on, trying to help prepare them for the "real world".

Here is what I have:

Remember:

1.  The Golden Rule, because what goes around comes around

2. Life is not fair and not easy but you will make it

3.  Always finish what you start, even if you don't like, finish it

4.  Can't is not a word in our family vocabulary

5.  Faith, Family and Friends in that order

6.  Always pay things forward

7.  Community service and giving back is important-do it

8.  There is always a positive side to every situation-the glass is always half full

9.  Be a hard worker, do not expect things to be handed or "given" to you, take initiative

10. The best journeys are not always in a straight line

11.  Laugh often, appreciate the little things in life

12.  Some of the best things in life ARE free

13.  Take time for yourself

14.  Stay active and enjoy the out of doors.  Every season has it's beauty, enjoy it

15.  It's okay to think outside of the box, in fact sometimes it's better.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 72 of 98

The Easter Egg Nest is a tradition that I would like to pass on.  My mother made the Easter Egg Nest cake during my growing up years. I and some of my siblings, children & grandchildren have continued it.  The process is as follows.  Fresh eggs were opened with a small opening and the contents were shaken out & used for scrambled eggs. The empty egg shells were thourghly washed & dried.  Jello was used to fill the eggs.  Today we use Jello egg forms (jiggler recipe).  A sponge or angel food cake with a center hole was baked & cooled.  On Easter morning , the cake was covered with whipped cream and coconut which was colored yellow by shaking the coconut in a jar with yellow food coloring.  The nest was then covered with the jello eggs.  A treat enjoyed by all!

Kudos
Views
Super Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 73 of 98

I hope they realize the America today, 8/17/2018, is not the America they were born into. Their great-grandparents arrived from Europe and Italy and helped build a country. But if they tried to come here now they would be either detained or arrested.

That will end; we can never survive by isolating ourselves from the rest of the world.

I want them to know I fought the fight of ousting corruption in the 70s and succeeded; that will happen again, but it will take my grandchildrens' help to do that.

#VegasStrong

Phil Harris, actor and showman, to John Fogerty of CCR: “If I’d known I’d live this long, I’d have taken better care of myself.”
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 74 of 98
I would like to pass down to my grandchildren that all people are equal ,we all come from God and we are brothers and sisters.we are measured by the things that we do for others.Treat others with respect just like others should treat you with respect !Dont stereotype people,people are what’s inside their heart and soul!if you argue with family or friends than be the bigger person and apologize so that the argument is no big deal!
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 75 of 98

If I did my job you can keep the book as it is all in their heads.  All the holidays, bubbles, books and cookie dough.  

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 76 of 98

I want my beloved grandsons 2 and 3 to know that we are in this world but not of it. That life is good that I love it. The world is not kind as you will find, but keep in mind that God got you, and he's good all the time. My mother was bitter towards slavery though she was not a slave herself, she told me her concerns before she went to her grave.

I was hurt yet I remain brave. I once asked her was she was a slave, she responded and said: "if I was a slave you would had been a slave too". My daughter asked me the same thing when she was two. I  responded the same way my dear mother did, of course, my daughter was a just a kid.

My dear mother oh God I never knew the pain she'd bare, she still reared her ten kids without a care.  It's funny how parents try to shield you from pain and suffering to the best of their ability. My mother did us an injustice now we must face reality. She was a single parent doing the best she can, not knowing for myself how to choose the ideal man.

Would it have been different if we have been white, only God knows and he knows what right? I want my grandsons to be their best for God, in this world of course life gets hard. no matter what their color God got their back, and in God's promises he's not slack.

I trust God to deliver us in him only we trust. What did we do to deserve this misery did we create ourselves, I think not, did we choose to come to America we were brought here unaware. 

004.jpgrASING DISCIPLES OF THE LORDI want my grandsons to know that we have the hope to look forward too, the hope of the return of Christ Jesus. It may be better once they reach adulthood, for at 54 I'm good. Like my mother always said: 

' it will get better before it worse', I believed everything my mother said. And I will believe in God and my mother until I'm dead. So to my toddler grandsons keep rising to the top, with God backing you up you won't be stopped.

Matthew 6:33;

BUT SEEK YOU FIRST THE KINGDOM OF GOD AND HIS RIGHTEOUSNESS AND ALL THESE THINGS SHALL BE ADDED UNTO YOU.

(seek anything else it shall be subtracted from you)

There are no two ways about it when you labor for the lord.

And that is what I want my precious and innocent grandsons to know.

Thank you 

and God bless AARP and the ARRP community

he went to he gr

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 77 of 98

Whenever we visited our daughter's home, we looked forward to waking up to a special breakfast, Picture Eggs. As the children grew, each (of 6) played a part in the preparation.  The dining table was set; orders were taken; a small glass was used to cut out the centers of bread slices; those and lots of butter were dropped into one of the frying pans, and this hovering Grandma would flip each one as it cooked. At last, someone would plate the finished egg-in-a-frame accompanied by its pan-toasted disc; while another would serve the family seated in anticipation.  How I miss those "grands" and our frantic fun, and hope they remember to make time for breakfast with their own.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 78 of 98

My grandchildren never met my parents.  I am writting a brief biography of my experiences growing up, so that they might have a glimpse of where I came from, the influences that have shaped my life and my values.  I have included some of the funny incidents, too.  I was fortunate to have known 3 of my grandparents and several of my great grandparents.  As I spend time with my grandkids I try to build memories that will help them know that families are the one constant in our lives.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 79 of 98

I would like to tell my grandchildren to be respectful, treat others as you would like to be treated and always be kind. If you can lend a hand to someone in need, do so as it will leave a great impression of your character as well as a tremendous feeling in your soul. Live life happy and it helps to have a sense of humor. Do what you love.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker +
Kudos
Views

Message 80 of 98

My parents were in the Salvation Army.  My two older brothers learned from a very early age the true meaning to share and help others.  My parents were transferred every four years therefore, my oldest brother was born in Roanoke, Virginia, other brother in Louisville, Kentucky and I was born in Parkersburg, West Virginia.

We all played an instrument.  My father and my brothers played the trumpet and trombone my mother played the piano every Sunday and she also played the baritone and accordian.  My parents would sing duets on Sunday mornings.  My brothers and I were very young and we sat alone on the front pew.  I always said he was gifted with "the look".  If we started getting restless, my father continued his preaching but gave us "the look" and we would straighten up.  No one else noticed any difference but we knew.  The best part is he never laid a hand on us but we figured if he ever did, we would never do it again!  My brothers and I have always been close. I never remember arguing.  I have such fond memories of growing up in such a loving family.

I always tell the story of when my father would give the "alter call" at the end of the sermon, I would get up and go down front to be with my mother, who would be praying with those who wanted to accept Christ.  So every Sunday, I would become a Christian.  I was about 5 yrs old. As a result of our upbringing, we have passed our love on to each of our children and grandchildren.

Kudos
Views