Get answers to your legal and financial affairs questions about caregiving from AARP expert Amanda Singleton. Join the discussion today!

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: "For My Grandchild" Book Give Away Sweepstakes

Message 61 of 98

My grandmother would take me each year to radio city music hall xmas show.  I never forget that memory. 

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 62 of 98

The most important thing I'd like my grandchild, great nieces and nieces/nephews to know is that each one of them is special and has something to offer the world. We are all born and develop qualities that we can share to enrich ourselves and each other and to help the world. Get to know yourself and appreciate your unique qualities and talents and develop these to their potential. Don't worry about what the other person is doing or if you feel they are better looking or more talented. Your own talents and potential will shine through. Don't be jealous; it wastes time and energy. Be happy when others do well and do your best to do well yourself. Remember fairness, kindness, love and consideration go a long way to making friends. 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 63 of 98

I was born in 1966 and had the priviledge of knowing my great-grandfather Hiram M. Adams, he was born in February 1895. He would spend Sunday afternoons/evenings with our family and I learned so many wonderful things from him. He would sit in the family room with the children and pass on the stories of his life. This was during my highschool years in 1980 to 1984 before we had cell phones. There was nothing to distract a conversation other than mom or dad calling for the odd chore to be done. Great-Grandpa would play his harmonica and then sing us chuch hymn's, and he knew all the words to each stanza!  He was also a high ranking officer in the Salvation Army and would tell us about his work. At dinner he would always finish with a hot tea. And if we had cabbage at New England pot roast he would add a drizzle of vinegar to his cabbage. He also knitted, and I have a sweater he made for me and a baby set he made for my daughter. Great-Grandpa would also answer questions about his life and what it was like to live during the depression or what it was like to have an icebox. He grew up with out radio or television, he grew up in New York and had 5 sisters. I had the great priviledge of knowing this man and listening to history from a relative and someone who was there! I want to record this and pass it on to my family, my children, my grandchildren. The best part of this story is that this loving man lived to be 100 years old!  How many people can say they met someone from the 1800's?

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 64 of 98

WOULD LIKE TO ORDER OR BUY THE BOOK.  WOULD NEED 2 OF THEM!    HHH

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 65 of 98

If someone offers you a breath mint, take the hint.  And the mint. Cat Tongue

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 66 of 98

I have a 4 year old granddaughter that I get to spend every Wednesday with. We do craft projects, a lot of painting, and play outside a lot. I take her to special events and to places like Clarks Trading Post, Santa's Village, and Whales Tale water park. She has a little snowmobile that she rides in the winter at my house and we go to visit her great grandparents on it. We have taken her fishing and on my pontoon boat and tubing.

I hope she remembers all our fun times together and they hold a special place in her heart since I am her only living grandmother.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 67 of 98

On Mother's Day 2017, my daughter and her boyfriend surprised me with the news that they were expecting a baby.  I had begun treatment for breast cancer in March 2017, and the anticipation of becoming a Grammy for the first time gave me even more strength and determination to fight with everything I had.  I referred to my fight as my "Cancer Triathlon" and the events were chemotherapy, surgery, and then radiation.  My prize was awarded to me 2 weeks after radiation, my final "Cancer Triathlon" event, ended when my grandson was born....the light at the end of my tunnel.  I'm now one year cancer free and looking forward to watching him grow up and making beautiful memories with him.  When he's older I'm going to tell him why I refer to him as "my light" and let him know how much joy he poured into my heart before he could even talk.     

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 68 of 98

I want them to know and remember that I love and encourage them to live healthy, long and fulfilling lives.  If at times they feel like they're going through hell, they should keep going!   . . .That in sports, as in life, they will never lose.  They will only learn.  . . .And if they're wronged, the best revenge is living well.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 69 of 98

Growing up in the Shenandoah Valley near Dayton VA, it was pretty dark at night.  I  learned how to adjust to darkness with the help my Dad’s binoculars to look at our celestial neighbors in the sky.  Dad made it a practice to check out the night sky which became a nightly fascination for me.  In turn, my son with my interest and his grandfather’s support learned to do the same using a basic telescope.   Helping your children appreciate the beauty of the night sky has the potential to help minimize nighttime fears and build a greater relationship with natural beauty.  This gift will be a priority for my 2 year old grandson.  

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 70 of 98

I have bought my kids an ornament for the tree every yr of their life. When old enough they picked out their own. Looking back at them you see their interest at certain ages. I now do it for their spouses and my grandchildren as well as buying a new family ornament each yr. Each yr its fun remembering and makes my tree extra special.

Kudos
Views