Community Manager
Community Manager

"For My Grandchild" Book Give Away Sweepstakes

AARPMIV_Book-Promo_Grandchild.png

What stories and memories do you want your grandkids to know about you? What family traditions do you want to pass on? Tell us about one and enter for a chance to win one of 15 copies of the AARP’s For My Grandchild:  A Grandparent's Gift of Memory. With this beautiful book, you’ll create a family keepsake that future generations will treasure forever. Fun prompts and fill-in-the-blanks help you get started, with plenty of additional space for photos and mementos.

Enter in 2 easy steps:

1) Sign in or register on AARP.org; and 

2) Reply to this discussion to tell us one story, memory or tradition you want to pass down.

Ends 9/1/18. No purchase necessary. See Official Rules and Terms of Service.

Contributor

WOULD LIKE TO ORDER OR BUY THE BOOK.  WOULD NEED 2 OF THEM!    HHH

0 Kudos
Bronze Conversationalist

My only grandchild is now 25 years old and a second grade school teacher.  She recently won a scholarship to study for a master's degree in early childhood education to continue her career. However, she keeps saying that she's so busy with teaching that she doesn't have time to study.

As a young girl such as she is now, I didn't have the opportunity to further my education as my parents didn't think girls needed anything more than a high school degree, and to know how to clean house and care for children and a husband.  Times have changed.  Two months ago, at age 78, and retired, and after studying for 8 years, I finally earned a PhD in botanical medicine.  I try to impress upon my granddaughter that the learning experience of working toward her master's degree now, while she's young, will keep her mind active and reaching for higher levels while she's teaching these youngsters.  She'll be able to use her higher education not only to teach the children, but to encourage them to continue learning.  While I was studying, I always told her about what I'd written, courses I was taking, and new things I'd learned in the hopes that it would spark her enthusiasm and get her to start working on that higher degree. She likes to hear about my learning experiences and I hope they encourage her to take advantage of the scholarship. In addition, both she and I are runners, although she's faster than I am (and 54 years younger!) so we can talk about the races she runs (and wins!) and I share memories of races I've run.  Oh, and my son married her mother when my granddaughter was 7 years old, and I adoped her father (my son) when he was just born, so she likes to hear that both she and her Dad are adopted, and that makes her know that we're all family forever no matter how we found each other!  That's another reason  to include her in family history because our history is now her history.

Trusted Contributor

As a "P.S." - the education/knowledge gained can (and need be) updated throughout one's life anyway, in any field.  Am currently interested in a totally different "career" from the one I have had, and although the obstacles are many, my determination is stronger still!  Feel that I can be an influence in my own grandchildren's lives, but even more, love the fact that there is more freedom to pursue interests now.  Same for you, would guess?!?

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

You have the right idea-best to get one's education young IF possible - but if not, later in life.  You can retain knowledge (if you work at it) at any phase of life!  You are a wonderful example for your family-KUDOS!

0 Kudos
Contributor

A beautiful memory. Thanks for sharing. My son is also adopted I'm going to show him this. Absolutely love this story. Congratulations to you and finishing school. I hope your granddaughter follows your beautiful example.
0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Congratulations!
Contributor

You can be scared silly, and it doesn't last as long as the sunshine to come.
0 Kudos

Would like to win book

Contributor

I would like to pass down to my grandchildren that all people are equal ,we all come from God and we are brothers and sisters.we are measured by the things that we do for others.Treat others with respect just like others should treat you with respect !Dont stereotype people,people are what’s inside their heart and soul!if you argue with family or friends than be the bigger person and apologize so that the argument is no big deal!
0 Kudos