Community Manager
Community Manager

"For My Grandchild" Book Give Away Sweepstakes

AARPMIV_Book-Promo_Grandchild.png

What stories and memories do you want your grandkids to know about you? What family traditions do you want to pass on? Tell us about one and enter for a chance to win one of 15 copies of the AARP’s For My Grandchild:  A Grandparent's Gift of Memory. With this beautiful book, you’ll create a family keepsake that future generations will treasure forever. Fun prompts and fill-in-the-blanks help you get started, with plenty of additional space for photos and mementos.

Enter in 2 easy steps:

1) Sign in or register on AARP.org; and 

2) Reply to this discussion to tell us one story, memory or tradition you want to pass down.

Ends 9/1/18. No purchase necessary. See Official Rules and Terms of Service.

Contributor

My youngest grandson was born in 2016 and was a picture of health until a respiratory virus changed our lives forever. He has a rare lung disease called NEHI, and presently needs oxygen 24/7. I retired early so I could devote full time to reading research and trying to connect some dots to help make his life easier. I'd like him to know how much he has been loved since the day he had a lung biopsy October 2016 and what I have been doing to try and make a difference in his life and for his future. 

Contributor

I was one of 17 Grandchildren. We were very close, like girlfriends and guys. Grandad milked cows on a three legged stool. We would line up so he could squirt milk in our mouths. Then we would go to the barn loft where my Uncle has installed a rope swing and arranged the bales of straw so we could fly through the air. Blisters on hands all summer. Grandma would churn butter and we took turns cranking the wheel. Then Grandma would gather the fishing gear and off we’d go to the pond to catch that big one that always got away. Forgot his name. Seems like I remember her catching him, but by that time he had become a friend. There was no running water at that time in their house, so she had a big metal tub filled with hot water. We took turns from youngest to oldest. First was the face when it came time for feet water was pretty cold and dirty. Loved those days!

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

Sounds like a GREAT life!  Always rather envied those who grew up or had time spent in the country...my own dad used to talk about his stay with relatives in Mathews County, Va., which we visited when I was still a teen, and it was still pretty rural.  A difficult but terrific life, I think..!

0 Kudos

A GRANDMOTHER’S WISDOM

Not all battles can be won,

So pick the big ones.

Learn how to let go and

How to accept what is.

You get what you pay for,

So don’t always seek a bargain.

Always save time for yourself—

To develop your talents and passions.

Helping others is a virtue,

But going to extremes is a vice.

Be optimistic and look for the best

In people, in events, in situations.

Smile a lot and say good morning

Even to strangers.

Never stop learning from others,

From events, and from yourself.

Shine with a joy within.

Grow in wisdom, love, and service.

Tragedy occurs, life happens

Have faith in yourself and in your Creator.

Things are never as bad as they seem,

YOU WILL SURVIVE!

Contributor

I have worked for several years now to record my family's genealogy and what I've discovered is that my family is related to many fine people that helped build our fine Nation. I have been proud to be an American in the United States. I learned like many people in school in history class of the events of our nation. Now I'm an adult I'm still interested in history and to learn that I am related to many of the same people that I studied and was interested in in school is an elation. The thing that I would like my grandchildren to know is that even though we are related to not only these fine people from the United States but also that are blood relations go back to kings and queens of England. Each of us has responsibility to make the world we came into a better place when we leave. We must strive in this world to make it better for the next generation in any way we can and hopefully that is what my ancestors were trying to do. It doesn't matter  who you are in this world  or where you came from  but what you intend to do with the time you have here . This is what genealogy has taught me and hopefully what I can teach my grandchildren.

Periodic Contributor

My Mom was one of mine.My Grandma, one of thirteen. The whole family gathered together every weekend. The women cooked;the men played cards. The kids played .Not so today. I have family in Florida, California, New Hampshire, Arizona and New York. The younger generation would not recognize their cousins if they stood on line at the grocery store. 

I need to write a little collection of family stories with photos so they know a bit of family history.

0 Kudos

My several, can I be this trusting stories. Such as, my best friends and I decided to soap our city’s fountain in the square. We had saved dilligently and then the day arrived. We knew the city police patrolled the square are between 10:45 pm and 11:15 pm. We stealthy took our places at the points of the fountain and began pouring in the dish soap. I glanced up once and we all were having a great time. Finally my box of soap had emptied and as I turned around. A voice exclaimed: “ It looks pretty, however you are under arrest.” The bubbles were building to a magnificient crescendo. So were my tears. 

0 Kudos
Contributor

I love all my grandkids, I would not tell them how I want them to remember me because I already know, there love to my wife and me I see in their eyes, our oldest is 22 and our youngest is 10 years old, we call our youngest the caboose ! Of the six grandkids four live in different states, two in Oklahoma and two in Nevada, we visit when we can. When we were all together, lived in same neighborhood, the grandkids were always at our house (eating ,sleeping, playing, and we would give them rides to school ,games ,shopping, movies, at our expense of course) and yes, they all had moments, but my wife would tell them What happens at Nana house stayed at Nana house (really?) We will always love our babies and I remember this who said it I don't know,  If I would have known grandkids were this much fun, I would of love to have them first! Thank you, and Thanks to all grandparents 

Contributor

My grandfather left Sweden when he was 16 years old.  He traveled by boat for three months before reaching Ellis Island in New York. Sometimes all he had was moldy bread to eat, but was glad to get that.  He moved to farm in Wisconsin where he met my grandmother.  She had lived only 20 miles from him in Sweden, but they did not meet until they were in Wisconsin.  

Contributor

That you can do anything that you set your mind to.  I grew up in a very poor family, I was able to pull myself out and make a good life for myself and my kids. Anything is possible if you put in the work.

Contributor

Do what YOU LOVE to Do!

A Glamour Job or Activity is NOT WORTH IT !

(for any income or wager) WHEN:

•        You do not enjoy doing it;
  •        Not Safe for yourself and others;
  •        It is not Legal or Morale;
  •        Not able to spent Quality Time with Family and Friends!

0 Kudos

Our family history includes maternal ancestors that came into the US from Canada and paternal ancestors that lived in the south and demonstrated inclusion of the American Indians and in other generations the Aftican Americans that were segregated at the time.  I want to be able to pass on our family history as told through letters and stories that have been saved over many generations and that tell of the risks taken to come to the US as well as the risks taken to stand up for what you (or they) believed in.  I am newly retired and have been gathering things up in preparation to do a project such as this one!

0 Kudos
Contributor

I am blessed with two wonderful grandchildren, a girl 7 and her big brother 15 (how did that happen!) My grandson loves family stories especialy about the 'old' days. 

I hope they learn from these stories. One, that you don't need so many things! I know life is totally different, but some things don't change. To be kind and compassionate to everyone they come in contact with. To share what they have with love. To learn how to handle their feelings, anger, hurt, dissappointment and happiness and joy! Life is hard, there is no getting around that. I hope they are prepared for whatever life has in store for them.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I have 4 wonderful granddaughters (so far!), ages 10, 7, 5 and 3. I want to tell them about what life was like when I was their ages, about my parents and grandparents and all our traditions.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Travel as much as possible...each country and regions in that country are wonderful and exciting educational  opportunities 

0 Kudos

we have a tradition of baking sugar cookies at Christmas, I did this with both my children and my oldest grandchild, I hope to carry it on with my youngest grandchild. I would like them to know what things were like when I was growing up and to share the memories we made that they may have been to young to remember

0 Kudos
Contributor

Is this where I'm to place my memory for my grandchild's book?  I can't figure out where I'm supposed to write it!

Thanks, Judy

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Certainly, the tradition of family gatherings has been and always will be a big part of our history and tradition! Big tables pushed together, many chairs around those tables, and the smell of so much food prepared for a family meal. Laughter and tears throughout the day, with memories being shared. Old family members, new family members - so much to take in and savor! This is family!

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Kindness is so important in everyday life. Pay it forward, donate, volunteer or pick another favorite way to show goodwill towards others. The satisfaction of showing foodwill towards others is rich in itself.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I want to instill the importance of serving God to my granddaughters.  When they understand and embrace this, all else will fall into place. I pray that they will have morales and values above their peers and will be Godly examples to other young women. I want them to be compassionate, kind and tender hearted to those that are less fortunate.  I want them to have confidence and high self esteem so they won’t have to depend on anyone or anything other than God Almighty to direct their paths. I love them with ALL of my being and I want only the best for them!

#madisonelaine and khloe’michelle

0 Kudos

My 1st grandchild, a girl is due on November 25, 2018.  There are so many stories to share with her.

I will want her to know about her great-grandparents, therefore I will share this story with her about my Daddy, her great-grandfather.

When I was a little girl about 8 years old it was very popular for people to have artifical Christmas trees.  Now these trees were silver in nature and we had a rotating light that shown on the tree in red, blue and green.  Oh but I so wanted a "real" Christmas tree.  My Daddy referread high school basketball games to make extra money for our family.  On a cold December night on the way to one of these games he spotted the perfect tree and told the two college students with him that they were going to stop and get that tree on the way home.  And that is exactly what he did, with just a pocket knife in the pitch dark on the side of a highway, they cut that tree down.  I can still remember waking up for school in the morning and there was "my real"  Christmas tree!  That was one of my best Christmases ever!

0 Kudos
Contributor

I want to tell you something amazing that your great grandmother loved children plus she loved to teach little children at a good age like 9 how to cook and make her famous spaghetti sauce or gravie is what she called it she was a wonderful person just like your mom she loved life ,you know she had 6 children 3 boys and 3 girls and we loved her dearly , she was always in the kitchen, cooking, doing dishes, sitting some times having a cup of coffee, but like she she always wanted a sweet treat with her coffee, like a small piece of pastry and before i forget she was a dunker , and you are going to ask was is a dunker its a person who likes to dunk their pastry in the coffee her favorite was biscotti and most of the time they were hard or crisp but not stale it was the way they were made , she was a beauitful woman and i miss her dearly.

0 Kudos

My husband and I are raising our grandchildren. Their mother, who we adopted out of foster care

, is unable to provide for their needs. Although our nuclear family is not uncommon these days, I want our grandchildren to grow up with memories of love and special family travel and activities. The ultimate goal is to provide guidance and incentive in becoming responsible citizens and life long learners.

I believe that knowing our ancestry promotes pride in ourselves. We just sent DNA samples to be analyzed. We will develop many memories as we discover more about our grandchilden's ancestry. I am hoping that these memories will  encourage our grandkids to share their own special family history as well as my husband's and my ancestry with their children and grandchildren one day.

0 Kudos

For my three daughters and one brand new grandchild also a girl to pass on the memory of their brother Luke. Luke was born August 17,1990 and passed away after six months in Hartford, CT hopital, he had his birthday on August 17, 2010, and passed on August 29th 2010, he was only 20 years old.

I want to pass on survival in this world for my daughter to have an independece that allows them to do everything and anything by themselves if the need arises.

I want my children to have the wit to do life by making their own choices.

I want to pass on my love for GOD and the importance of having GOD in their daily lives. 

I want them to be good hearted, responsable people. To help others when they can and never turn away if they can help.

Most imprtantly I want my girls to know that family comes first and they should always no matter how petty an argument is, to make amends and keep in-touch with their family and friends so they have people in their lives that will always be there to support them.

Charlene Cintron

0 Kudos
Contributor

I want to be able to share with her the family heritage, that is slowly dying off. I want to keep our ancestors alive in the hearts of my grandchildren.
0 Kudos
Contributor

I want to be able to share with her the family heritage, that is slowly dying off. I want to keep our ancestors alive in the hearts of my grandchildren.

0 Kudos

CHRISTMAS EVE GIFT!  Back in my great grandfathers day, when you made your own moonshine, it was custom to say Christmas Eve Gift.  If you said it first to a fellow moonshiner, they had to share a pint of their best with you.  Since we no longer make moonshine, we have carried on this tradition to mean if you say Christmas Eve Gift first to a member of our family (we do include friends) they have to give you a gift to open on Christmas Eve.  These are not expensive gifts, anything from a lottery ticket to a candle, one to five dollars.  It’s the competition and the fun you have.  I have done everything from sneaking up on my dad after midnight to putting it on Facebook.  It’s just fun a competition to do and fun to give.  I hope to pass this on to future generations with the stories on how to get someone and how I’ve been gotten.  It’s so special I even had Christmas pillows made for my siblings to pass down as a reminder after we are gone.

0 Kudos

To be honest I thought I was pretty darn lucky. I had two parents at home and grandparents who lived across the street. It was a great childhood. My mother worked back then so my grandparents were my source during the day. My grandfather owned his own shoe repair shop in back of his house. I remember going there after school and sitting there watching him work so efficiently resoling shoes as customers would come in. It was a time I was proud to be part of his family. I was an only child so adult company was part of my life. 

Contributor

I am the proud grandmother of 4 beautiful grandchildren. They range in ages from 17 to 3 years old. I would love to have this book to pass down my love of the written word. I am afraid the current generation is slipping away “one cell phone at a time” from the world of the written and spoken word! To me, the ability to communicate is one of the most important factors in retaining our humanity. I am 65 years old and I still get excited when I hear or see a word I don’t know! ( although I am guilty of running to my phone to ask Siri for the definition!) I am not a “good” writer by any means but having this book would give me the opportunity to have guidelines to follow. Thank-you!