If you suspect you're a scam target, AARP's fraud helpline is here for you. Learn more.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: "For My Grandchild" Book Give Away Sweepstakes

Message 1 of 98

My youngest grandson was born in 2016 and was a picture of health until a respiratory virus changed our lives forever. He has a rare lung disease called NEHI, and presently needs oxygen 24/7. I retired early so I could devote full time to reading research and trying to connect some dots to help make his life easier. I'd like him to know how much he has been loved since the day he had a lung biopsy October 2016 and what I have been doing to try and make a difference in his life and for his future. 

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 98

I was one of 17 Grandchildren. We were very close, like girlfriends and guys. Grandad milked cows on a three legged stool. We would line up so he could squirt milk in our mouths. Then we would go to the barn loft where my Uncle has installed a rope swing and arranged the bales of straw so we could fly through the air. Blisters on hands all summer. Grandma would churn butter and we took turns cranking the wheel. Then Grandma would gather the fishing gear and off we’d go to the pond to catch that big one that always got away. Forgot his name. Seems like I remember her catching him, but by that time he had become a friend. There was no running water at that time in their house, so she had a big metal tub filled with hot water. We took turns from youngest to oldest. First was the face when it came time for feet water was pretty cold and dirty. Loved those days!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 98

A GRANDMOTHER’S WISDOM

Not all battles can be won,

So pick the big ones.

Learn how to let go and

How to accept what is.

You get what you pay for,

So don’t always seek a bargain.

Always save time for yourself—

To develop your talents and passions.

Helping others is a virtue,

But going to extremes is a vice.

Be optimistic and look for the best

In people, in events, in situations.

Smile a lot and say good morning

Even to strangers.

Never stop learning from others,

From events, and from yourself.

Shine with a joy within.

Grow in wisdom, love, and service.

Tragedy occurs, life happens

Have faith in yourself and in your Creator.

Things are never as bad as they seem,

YOU WILL SURVIVE!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 98
You can be scared silly, and it doesn't last as long as the sunshine to come.
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 98

I have worked for several years now to record my family's genealogy and what I've discovered is that my family is related to many fine people that helped build our fine Nation. I have been proud to be an American in the United States. I learned like many people in school in history class of the events of our nation. Now I'm an adult I'm still interested in history and to learn that I am related to many of the same people that I studied and was interested in in school is an elation. The thing that I would like my grandchildren to know is that even though we are related to not only these fine people from the United States but also that are blood relations go back to kings and queens of England. Each of us has responsibility to make the world we came into a better place when we leave. We must strive in this world to make it better for the next generation in any way we can and hopefully that is what my ancestors were trying to do. It doesn't matter  who you are in this world  or where you came from  but what you intend to do with the time you have here . This is what genealogy has taught me and hopefully what I can teach my grandchildren.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker +
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 98

My Mom was one of mine.My Grandma, one of thirteen. The whole family gathered together every weekend. The women cooked;the men played cards. The kids played .Not so today. I have family in Florida, California, New Hampshire, Arizona and New York. The younger generation would not recognize their cousins if they stood on line at the grocery store. 

I need to write a little collection of family stories with photos so they know a bit of family history.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 98

My several, can I be this trusting stories. Such as, my best friends and I decided to soap our city’s fountain in the square. We had saved dilligently and then the day arrived. We knew the city police patrolled the square are between 10:45 pm and 11:15 pm. We stealthy took our places at the points of the fountain and began pouring in the dish soap. I glanced up once and we all were having a great time. Finally my box of soap had emptied and as I turned around. A voice exclaimed: “ It looks pretty, however you are under arrest.” The bubbles were building to a magnificient crescendo. So were my tears. 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 98

I love all my grandkids, I would not tell them how I want them to remember me because I already know, there love to my wife and me I see in their eyes, our oldest is 22 and our youngest is 10 years old, we call our youngest the caboose ! Of the six grandkids four live in different states, two in Oklahoma and two in Nevada, we visit when we can. When we were all together, lived in same neighborhood, the grandkids were always at our house (eating ,sleeping, playing, and we would give them rides to school ,games ,shopping, movies, at our expense of course) and yes, they all had moments, but my wife would tell them What happens at Nana house stayed at Nana house (really?) We will always love our babies and I remember this who said it I don't know,  If I would have known grandkids were this much fun, I would of love to have them first! Thank you, and Thanks to all grandparents 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 98

My grandfather left Sweden when he was 16 years old.  He traveled by boat for three months before reaching Ellis Island in New York. Sometimes all he had was moldy bread to eat, but was glad to get that.  He moved to farm in Wisconsin where he met my grandmother.  She had lived only 20 miles from him in Sweden, but they did not meet until they were in Wisconsin.  

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 98

That you can do anything that you set your mind to.  I grew up in a very poor family, I was able to pull myself out and make a good life for myself and my kids. Anything is possible if you put in the work.

Kudos
Views