Take control of your brain health with Staying Sharp! Try it today.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: "For My Grandchild" Book Give Away Sweepstakes

Message 11 of 101

I love all my grandkids, I would not tell them how I want them to remember me because I already know, there love to my wife and me I see in their eyes, our oldest is 22 and our youngest is 10 years old, we call our youngest the caboose ! Of the six grandkids four live in different states, two in Oklahoma and two in Nevada, we visit when we can. When we were all together, lived in same neighborhood, the grandkids were always at our house (eating ,sleeping, playing, and we would give them rides to school ,games ,shopping, movies, at our expense of course) and yes, they all had moments, but my wife would tell them What happens at Nana house stayed at Nana house (really?) We will always love our babies and I remember this who said it I don't know,  If I would have known grandkids were this much fun, I would of love to have them first! Thank you, and Thanks to all grandparents 

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 101

My grandfather left Sweden when he was 16 years old.  He traveled by boat for three months before reaching Ellis Island in New York. Sometimes all he had was moldy bread to eat, but was glad to get that.  He moved to farm in Wisconsin where he met my grandmother.  She had lived only 20 miles from him in Sweden, but they did not meet until they were in Wisconsin.  

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 101

That you can do anything that you set your mind to.  I grew up in a very poor family, I was able to pull myself out and make a good life for myself and my kids. Anything is possible if you put in the work.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 101

Do what YOU LOVE to Do!

A Glamour Job or Activity is NOT WORTH IT !

(for any income or wager) WHEN:

•        You do not enjoy doing it;
  •        Not Safe for yourself and others;
  •        It is not Legal or Morale;
  •        Not able to spent Quality Time with Family and Friends!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 101

Our family history includes maternal ancestors that came into the US from Canada and paternal ancestors that lived in the south and demonstrated inclusion of the American Indians and in other generations the Aftican Americans that were segregated at the time.  I want to be able to pass on our family history as told through letters and stories that have been saved over many generations and that tell of the risks taken to come to the US as well as the risks taken to stand up for what you (or they) believed in.  I am newly retired and have been gathering things up in preparation to do a project such as this one!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 16 of 101

I am blessed with two wonderful grandchildren, a girl 7 and her big brother 15 (how did that happen!) My grandson loves family stories especialy about the 'old' days. 

I hope they learn from these stories. One, that you don't need so many things! I know life is totally different, but some things don't change. To be kind and compassionate to everyone they come in contact with. To share what they have with love. To learn how to handle their feelings, anger, hurt, dissappointment and happiness and joy! Life is hard, there is no getting around that. I hope they are prepared for whatever life has in store for them.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 17 of 101

As a "P.S." - the education/knowledge gained can (and need be) updated throughout one's life anyway, in any field.  Am currently interested in a totally different "career" from the one I have had, and although the obstacles are many, my determination is stronger still!  Feel that I can be an influence in my own grandchildren's lives, but even more, love the fact that there is more freedom to pursue interests now.  Same for you, would guess?!?

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 18 of 101

I did not know that! You do learn something new every day!

Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 19 of 101

You have the right idea-best to get one's education young IF possible - but if not, later in life.  You can retain knowledge (if you work at it) at any phase of life!  You are a wonderful example for your family-KUDOS!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 20 of 101

I have 4 wonderful granddaughters (so far!), ages 10, 7, 5 and 3. I want to tell them about what life was like when I was their ages, about my parents and grandparents and all our traditions.

Kudos
Views