On Memorial Day weekend, we remember those who made the ultimate sacrifice. AARP also offers resources and news for military veterans and families.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: "For My Grandchild" Book Give Away Sweepstakes

Message 31 of 98

CHRISTMAS EVE GIFT!  Back in my great grandfathers day, when you made your own moonshine, it was custom to say Christmas Eve Gift.  If you said it first to a fellow moonshiner, they had to share a pint of their best with you.  Since we no longer make moonshine, we have carried on this tradition to mean if you say Christmas Eve Gift first to a member of our family (we do include friends) they have to give you a gift to open on Christmas Eve.  These are not expensive gifts, anything from a lottery ticket to a candle, one to five dollars.  It’s the competition and the fun you have.  I have done everything from sneaking up on my dad after midnight to putting it on Facebook.  It’s just fun a competition to do and fun to give.  I hope to pass this on to future generations with the stories on how to get someone and how I’ve been gotten.  It’s so special I even had Christmas pillows made for my siblings to pass down as a reminder after we are gone.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 32 of 98

To be honest I thought I was pretty darn lucky. I had two parents at home and grandparents who lived across the street. It was a great childhood. My mother worked back then so my grandparents were my source during the day. My grandfather owned his own shoe repair shop in back of his house. I remember going there after school and sitting there watching him work so efficiently resoling shoes as customers would come in. It was a time I was proud to be part of his family. I was an only child so adult company was part of my life. 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 33 of 98

I am the proud grandmother of 4 beautiful grandchildren. They range in ages from 17 to 3 years old. I would love to have this book to pass down my love of the written word. I am afraid the current generation is slipping away “one cell phone at a time” from the world of the written and spoken word! To me, the ability to communicate is one of the most important factors in retaining our humanity. I am 65 years old and I still get excited when I hear or see a word I don’t know! ( although I am guilty of running to my phone to ask Siri for the definition!) I am not a “good” writer by any means but having this book would give me the opportunity to have guidelines to follow. Thank-you!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 34 of 98

Would like to win book

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 35 of 98

At the moment I have 30 grandchildren.  What I would tell them is how my life started out.

How at the age of 9, I saw my Mother brutally attacked by my Father.  How my twin brother and I along with our younger brother were put into a foster home.  How we stayed there very happily for 3 years and then was seperated and moved into another foster home.  I would tell them about all the adversities that I had to endure and how I overcame all of them.  How after 2 failed marriages, I finally was found by a wonderful man and married.  How I died being one of the most beloved, cared for, Wife, Mother and Grandmother.  I would tell them my rise from being a Secretary to a Database Administrator and then to owning my own business.  I would tell them that through it all I had the love of Jesus and even when I didn't realize he was with me, he was always standing right beside me.  That when I was still I could hear him and he guided me.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 36 of 98

We started camping when our sons were  small and continue to camp. They both camp now with their wives and children. My grands love to hear of all the escapes we went to and the fun we had. 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 37 of 98

I want my Grandchildren to have lasting memories. Their Grandfather died when their parents were young so this book would be a perfect way to document what their grandpa was like and to share special memories of a man they never were able to meet. My grandparents died before I was born too and it would have been nice to have known more about them and how I might be like them.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 38 of 98

For my grandchildren and great grandchildren. I would like for them to know that our family were Christian and hope that they follow in our footsteps.  

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 39 of 98

I want to be able to share the memories of my identical twin sister who died 10 years ago, of the grandfather (my husband) who died 23 years ago, and of me and my love of Christmas - the traditions of it; and of course - Winnie the Pooh.  I have none of these memories from my own history and do not want my grandchildren to miss out.  Learn from the past - hold what is wonderful and do not repeat my mistakes Smiley Happy

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 40 of 98

I want both my granddaughters to know how i cherished my grandparents(maternal). My fondest memories were baking apple pies with my mother's mother and being so excited to see the finished product(and taste it!) She was a strong, independent lady who could entertain anyone, and make them feel special.  My grandpa was also wonderful and I loved to watch old movies with him. I will never forget my early childhood spent with them as my parents worked long hours. I was so lucky to have that time with them. I wish to share great activities with my grandkids and to pass on  the special bond i shared with my own grandparents.

Kudos
Views