Have questions about your Medicare options? AARP's Medicare Resource Center can help.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

dance and hugs

Message 81 of 98

After picking up my 4 grandkids from grade school on my birthday, they asked me what I would like. After starting to share their snack box (that I make for them everytime I pick them up) I thought about it a little bit, then told them I love a dance with all of them and they agreed.

We drove to a park on the way home, parked and put on a cd of mine.  Cranked it up and showed them how to dance the twist.  We all loved it, it was fun and loud.  Afterwards I got hugs from all of them and they all told me how fun and enjoyable it was.  I'll never forget that and look forward to dancing with them again......lot's of smiles!

LeRoy

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: "For My Grandchild" Book Give Away Sweepstakes

Message 82 of 98

My years working out of the United States exploring for oil

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 83 of 98

My two grandkids that have names that sound like last names ratner than first, would receive a letter written on paper, composed by me, opened and written after I kick off. The letter will state that I was able to success by getting up every morning at 5:00 AM, taking care of family responsibilities, then waling twenty miles to my school, staying there for nine hours a day, finally working additional six hours at home, finally getting into bed at 3:00 AM, only to do that the next day. I did that six days a week for 36 years. (When I graduated from high school, I worked at a job instead of attending school!) In today's world, all these kids want to do is to play with their phones spending all their time texting and God knows what!

Anyway, the letter will tell them to spend a day to make things harder for themselves, such as walking more than two blocks at a time, not to use their phones for more than a ten minutes, as well as other acts that make life just what it is, a period of time where nothing is fair!!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 84 of 98

I want our grandchildren to know that "family time" is precious.  I truly love when our children and grandchildren get together for a meal, conversation and games. In other words, food-family-fun. Those are important to keep a family strong.  After a time together with them, I feel fulfilled and happy!  They should always start the meal with prayer, as we do now, because God gave us to each other!  So my little loves,  keep this tradition going, to infinity and beyond!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 85 of 98

As the family historian; I would like to help our grandchildren realize, how much our actions and decision today, are because of the family dynamics of our past.  To remember where and how you came to be, so you can add to the good and not repeat the past mistakes.  How to open your heart, be yourself and enjoy life to the fullest.  You can't live everyone else life for them, just be there when they need you.  A Christmas tradition from my father is wonderful but, difficult today.  He told us about going to sleep on Christmas Eve to their normal home but, waking up to a home decorated for Christmas.  When they came downstairs on Christmas morning, the tree was up and decorated with presents for all, it was like a wonderland.  The presents were homemade, the food simple but, the love was present.  His parents worked all night to decorate and cook for that special morning, so 6 children during the depression could have a special moment in time with joy and without worry.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 86 of 98

With one child and one grandchild, it would be wonderful for him to know about his maternal Grandma.

Turning 13 years old soon, he spends most of his time with friends, school and parents with little time for me lately.  I know he'll always love me but these upcoming teenage years will bring lots of time away from each other.  A wonderful keepsake book for him is a gift I'd love him to have reminding him of our early years together and telling him all about his Grandma and Granddaddy who died too young.  I've lived and continue to live an interesting life and someday he might be very interested in reading all about it.....Many Thanks.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 87 of 98

I just finished my memoirs and self published it on CreateSpace,  a subdivision of Amazon. The fee is O and I can purchase the book for $2.50 each. My Grandchildren are enjoying it- as well as many friends. Now I think everyone should write their memoirs. It now so easy and inexpensive. You can lookup my book, “An Unexpected Life” on Amazon.com

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 88 of 98

I have spend most of my professional career as director of a large non-profit  working with abused and neglected children. When I first came to the agency I spent time with one of our providers we talked about the children and families served and then we were talking about raising our children. We talked about the difficult times and after she mentioned about the trouble she was having with her  children I told her I understood she looked at me and said you do not understand...after I stopped being offended I realized she was right. She said to me if your children are hungry you can feed them and if they are sick you can take them to the doctor, you can buy them new sneakers she could not do those things.

My own children respected and help where ever they could and still do but my grandchildren are the ones who will be changing the world. They were helping at a holiday party and found out one of the children was not living with his family and they wanted to know why. Once we explained the nightmare this child's life was they began to think of what they could do to help. My 13 and 15 year old grandchildren formed  a teen board that volunteers to help our children. Over the years the children have been recognized for their dedication they have held parties, collected food, diapers,books,pj's and so much more.

I love these now college students who are still trying to ensure children are able to reach their dreams and have not forgotten how important it is to pay it forward.

My children and my grandchildren are the center of husbands and my life they are our inspiration and now with our 7 year old granddaughter helping her cousins make this a safer place for all children all I can say is we are blessed!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 89 of 98

I am sorry to say that I do not have grandkids, YET. Of course I have hopes! I will love to tell them about the ancestars on my side (they will learn from the other side about it, I believe.) Thanks!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 90 of 98

My husband died from cancer in 2013.  Our children were 38 and 35.  Our grandchildren were 16, 12, 8 and 6.  Each Thanksgiving when we are together, we go around the table and each of us share one thing we are grateful for.  We also share a memory of dad/grandpa.  I want our children and grandchildren to remember him.  He was an advid hunter and fisherman.  He taught his sons and grandsons how to hunt and fish.  Some stories are the same as the year before and some are a new memory.  We laugh and we cry.  I believe laughing and crying are good for our souls.  And, I also hope my children and grandchildren will pass along this tradition of generational blessings to our future family children. 

Kudos
Views