There’s always more to discover with an AARP membership! Check out your member benefits.

Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: "For My Grandchild" Book Give Away Sweepstakes

Message 91 of 98

I have two children; a son and daughter and two beautiful granddaughters from my son and daughter in law.  I've watched things happen that could have been avoided, but I was never one to interfere with the raising of my granddaughters.  I would have had there been neglect or abuse, but it seemed like everyone got on each other's nerves, but nothing more than "grounded" was ever put in place.

If I could tell my kids and grandkids anything it would be that neither my husband or myself were really good kids.  We broke rules, we did things our parents wouldn't have approved of, but we made it and we did well.  We weren't always grounded (you can't be if no one tells) but we eventually paid the price.  My objective would be to let them all know that there is nothing that can't be forgiven, nothing that is so bad that banishment from your family is the right choice, and that nothing is worth losing a child over.  I believe that if I were to put down on paper that family is about forgiving (as mine was) and acceptance, and that discord isn't the final outcome.  I'd love to tell them that life is too short for hard feelings - that we're all human and God is forgiving.  I feel that if I could give them a glimpse of my life after we left my father that although some things became worse, it all works out in the end.  They need to know that the grandparents who love them so deeply weren't perfect in any way but all is good.  Knowing that others may have done the same thing, may have suffered the same consequences, know that love prevails may be of benefit to them.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 92 of 98

In 2015 my husband and I planned a trip to Montana with our two grown daughters and their mates. We lived in different states so we all met for a connecting flight. When we arrived at our vacation destination our married daughter gave me and my younger daughter a paper lunch size bag to open.

Inside was one infant hiking shoe, also a note telling us she was hiking for two. It was a wonderful surprise! First grandchild announcement! Our grand son was born the following year. It is a story I look forward to telling him when he gets older! He now has a baby sister.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 93 of 98

My Dad was a farmer and most years he raised sweet corn for the canning company. When the corn was mature my family would get together to save some of the corn for our own use.  Every year Dad would tell the grandchildren the reason the ears had hair (silk).  Each and every corn kernal has it's own silk strand (female) which connects the kernal to the outside of the ear which is then  pollinated by the tassle (male) on top of the stalk of corn. I think that is the closest my Dad ever came to telling any of us about the birds and the bees

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 94 of 98

One tradition that we had when I was growing up in the  Dominican republic  was to grass  for the camels and cookies and milk for the three Kings under the  bed on three kings night.

Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 95 of 98
Congratulations!
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 96 of 98

Care about animals and plants. Environment is everything to your future.

Kudos
Views
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 97 of 98

My only grandchild is now 25 years old and a second grade school teacher.  She recently won a scholarship to study for a master's degree in early childhood education to continue her career. However, she keeps saying that she's so busy with teaching that she doesn't have time to study.

As a young girl such as she is now, I didn't have the opportunity to further my education as my parents didn't think girls needed anything more than a high school degree, and to know how to clean house and care for children and a husband.  Times have changed.  Two months ago, at age 78, and retired, and after studying for 8 years, I finally earned a PhD in botanical medicine.  I try to impress upon my granddaughter that the learning experience of working toward her master's degree now, while she's young, will keep her mind active and reaching for higher levels while she's teaching these youngsters.  She'll be able to use her higher education not only to teach the children, but to encourage them to continue learning.  While I was studying, I always told her about what I'd written, courses I was taking, and new things I'd learned in the hopes that it would spark her enthusiasm and get her to start working on that higher degree. She likes to hear about my learning experiences and I hope they encourage her to take advantage of the scholarship. In addition, both she and I are runners, although she's faster than I am (and 54 years younger!) so we can talk about the races she runs (and wins!) and I share memories of races I've run.  Oh, and my son married her mother when my granddaughter was 7 years old, and I adoped her father (my son) when he was just born, so she likes to hear that both she and her Dad are adopted, and that makes her know that we're all family forever no matter how we found each other!  That's another reason  to include her in family history because our history is now her history.

Kudos
Views
Community Manager
Kudos
Views
Replies

"For My Grandchild" Book Give Away Sweepstakes

Message 98 of 98

AARPMIV_Book-Promo_Grandchild.png

What stories and memories do you want your grandkids to know about you? What family traditions do you want to pass on? Tell us about one and enter for a chance to win one of 15 copies of the AARP’s For My Grandchild:  A Grandparent's Gift of Memory. With this beautiful book, you’ll create a family keepsake that future generations will treasure forever. Fun prompts and fill-in-the-blanks help you get started, with plenty of additional space for photos and mementos.

Enter in 2 easy steps:

1) Sign in or register on AARP.org; and 

2) Reply to this discussion to tell us one story, memory or tradition you want to pass down.

Ends 9/1/18. No purchase necessary. See Official Rules and Terms of Service.

Kudos
Views
Replies