Open enrollment for the ACA health insurance marketplace ends Saturday! There's still time to sign up or change your plan.

Highlighted
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views
Replies

YA & Adult Books

Message 1 of 1

I'm reading Ender's Shadow which follows Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card.  In the prologue the author said Ender's Game was not YA but all the kids loved it.  Now I have my question.  When did we sort books into YA & Adult?  Many moons ago, when I was in school, we read anything & everything as long as it wasn't "banned in Boston" & I even read those.  I don't ever remember someone telling me what to read----just read.  The only divisions in the library that I remember is the Children's Room & then everyone else.

Also our book reports were on the book itself not what the author meant by the story.  I think this is the problem with young people not reading.  I remember when my son was in high school & was having trouble with a book.  I am an avid reader so, naturally, he asked me what the author was trying to tell in his book.  My answer was the author wasn't saying anything more than "buy my book".  My son is up there in age and completely wrapped up in biographies, physics book, etc.  However, I've turned him on to sci-fi.

So back to my question.  When did we separate books for ages?

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Replies