Refresh your driving skills with the AARP Smart Driver online course! Use promo code THANKS to save 25 percent.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Winter’s Big Books

Message 11 of 19

I enjoyed “A Gentleman in Moscow”. It was rich with historical content and the main character became more fascinating with each chapter. The Great Alone was depressing. I wanted to shake the mother into protecting her daughter and herself. Not taking  care of herself and child was her fatal flaw. 

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 19

Just finished The Death of Mrs. Westaway by Ruth Ware.   Great British contemporary gothic mystery!  Highly recommend it and her book The Woman in Cabin 10.  (You might want to avoid it, though, if you are claustrophobic. It takes place on a 10-cabin yacht.)

I just started Stephen King's The Outsiders and have Claire Fuller's Bitter Orange to read after King.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 19

Reading Providence by Caroline Kepnes.  Not my usual fare but daughter bought for Christmas and we are both reading.  Very intriguing and we enjoy discussing it and what we think.  I am eager to finish but she works and has children and home so I don't want to get too far ahead and get impatient for her to finish too.  I have also started Bobby Kennedy - A Raging Spirit by Chris Matthews.  Great to be retired and have time to indulge myself in reading. 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 19

Read A Tree Grows in Brooklyn many years ago.  Think it is past time for a re-read. 

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 19

Just finished the classic, A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith: Coming of age story about Francie Nolan and her family during WWI era in Brooklyn/NewYorkCity and the Great Alone by Kristin Hannah: a must read about a teenage girl and mother and father (severe PTSD because of Vietnam War imprisonment) who relocate to off the grid remote Alaska,

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 16 of 19

Nice selection of books to think about, I'm such a reader ,so love the recommend ones.  I'm currently ready, The Silent Patient by Alex Michaelidles. A new category for me, I usually read historical fiction. But, my first for 2019 was When the lights go out by Karen White. I love her books, too. It seems I'm all over the place. Hope everyone has a wonderful reading week. 

Reguards,

Judy

Kudos
Views
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 17 of 19

Right now I am reading "Verses of the Dead" by Preston Douglas and Lincoln Child.  This book is part of a recurring series featuring Aloyious Pendergast, a Sherlock Holmes type FBI special agent  The series started with "The Relic" and is already around 17 books!  Doug Preston provides the action and Lincoln Child provides all the amazing details!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 18 of 19

12/29: Good list of books for a Book Club kickoff! Thanks for sharing. Jewel

Kudos
Views
Community Manager
Kudos
Views
Replies

Winter’s Big Books

Message 19 of 19

Check out 12 of this season's best stories about love and family, self-help, thrillers and more. What's on your wintertime reading list?

Kudos
Views
Replies