Community Manager
Community Manager

Winter’s Big Books

Check out 12 of this season's best stories about love and family, self-help, thrillers and more. What's on your wintertime reading list?

0 Kudos
Contributor

I am Reading Dan Godwin's The Final Jubilee. It is a study of the book Of Revelations.
0 Kudos
Contributor

For 2019, my local city library book club had our group start the year reading "The Tattooist of Auschwitz". 

Periodic Contributor

Thank You for all the neat responses, I’ve so enjoy seeing what everyone’s reading with lots of great suggestions.  My reading list is getting longer. 

Happy reading, 

Judy. 

Contributor

A great winter read is the very thoughtful and thoroughly researched book by Historian David Blight, Frederick Douglass: Prophet of Freedom.  It is a doorstop size book, but great for the winter and excellent for conversation over coffee.  Much of what Douglass spoke and wrote about is very relevant in today's environment.

Chuck Arning

0 Kudos
Contributor

Just finished The Nightingale. Can’t wait for the movie they say they’re making for this! Thanks for sharing your reads - I’ve already saved some of your recommendations to my Goodreads to read.

0 Kudos

I'm currently reading Becoming by Michele Obama.  It's an excellent book about her humble beginnings to our First Lady, who happens to be African American. The wording is easy and thought provoking in some ways. Excellent book to pass through the wintertime. 

Contributor

I enjoyed “A Gentleman in Moscow”. It was rich with historical content and the main character became more fascinating with each chapter. The Great Alone was depressing. I wanted to shake the mother into protecting her daughter and herself. Not taking  care of herself and child was her fatal flaw. 

Periodic Contributor

The Great Alone is depressing and upsetting and yet depicts reality and frightening bond (of love?) between abuser and abused in a marital type relationship. The mother did protect the daughter in the end!
Contributor

Just finished her other book The Nightingale. Really enjoyed. Looking forward to trying this one. Thanks for sharing.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Just finished The Death of Mrs. Westaway by Ruth Ware.   Great British contemporary gothic mystery!  Highly recommend it and her book The Woman in Cabin 10.  (You might want to avoid it, though, if you are claustrophobic. It takes place on a 10-cabin yacht.)

I just started Stephen King's The Outsiders and have Claire Fuller's Bitter Orange to read after King.

Periodic Contributor

Reading Providence by Caroline Kepnes.  Not my usual fare but daughter bought for Christmas and we are both reading.  Very intriguing and we enjoy discussing it and what we think.  I am eager to finish but she works and has children and home so I don't want to get too far ahead and get impatient for her to finish too.  I have also started Bobby Kennedy - A Raging Spirit by Chris Matthews.  Great to be retired and have time to indulge myself in reading. 

Periodic Contributor

Just finished the classic, A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith: Coming of age story about Francie Nolan and her family during WWI era in Brooklyn/NewYorkCity and the Great Alone by Kristin Hannah: a must read about a teenage girl and mother and father (severe PTSD because of Vietnam War imprisonment) who relocate to off the grid remote Alaska,

Periodic Contributor

Read A Tree Grows in Brooklyn many years ago.  Think it is past time for a re-read. 

Periodic Contributor

Nice selection of books to think about, I'm such a reader ,so love the recommend ones.  I'm currently ready, The Silent Patient by Alex Michaelidles. A new category for me, I usually read historical fiction. But, my first for 2019 was When the lights go out by Karen White. I love her books, too. It seems I'm all over the place. Hope everyone has a wonderful reading week. 

Reguards,

Judy

Periodic Contributor

A friend passed along a couple of books...The Orphan Train...historically correct. A sad time in our history but an interesting read. I couldn't put it down.
Conversationalist

Right now I am reading "Verses of the Dead" by Preston Douglas and Lincoln Child.  This book is part of a recurring series featuring Aloyious Pendergast, a Sherlock Holmes type FBI special agent  The series started with "The Relic" and is already around 17 books!  Doug Preston provides the action and Lincoln Child provides all the amazing details!

Contributor

12/29: Good list of books for a Book Club kickoff! Thanks for sharing. Jewel

Regular Contributor

Highly recommend joining (or Starting) a book club. I love to read historical fiction and being in this club has expanded the type of books that I now enjoy.  Sometimes we have books that I do not enjoy but learn something from the members who did enjoy the book. Sometimes I have great AHA! moments when I totally see a story in a whole new meaning.