You can help to pick the winner of the 2018 Movies for Grownups Readers' Choice award! Vote now for your favorite film.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Winter’s Big Books

Message 1 of 16

A great winter read is the very thoughtful and thoroughly researched book by Historian David Blight, Frederick Douglass: Prophet of Freedom.  It is a doorstop size book, but great for the winter and excellent for conversation over coffee.  Much of what Douglass spoke and wrote about is very relevant in today's environment.

Chuck Arning

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 16

Just finished her other book The Nightengale. Really enjoyed. Looking forward to trying this one. Thanks for sharing.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 16

Just finished The Nightingale. Can’t wait for the movie they say they’re making for this! Thanks for sharing your reads - I’ve already saved some of your recommendations to my Goodreads to read.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 16
A friend passed along a couple of books...The Orphan Train...historically correct. A sad time in our history but an interesting read. I couldn't put it down.
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 16

Highly recommend joining (or Starting) a book club. I love to read historical fiction and being in this club has expanded the type of books that I now enjoy.  Sometimes we have books that I do not enjoy but learn something from the members who did enjoy the book. Sometimes I have great AHA! moments when I totally see a story in a whole new meaning. 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 16

I'm currently reading Becoming by Michele Obama.  It's an excellent book about her humble beginnings to our First Lady, who happens to be African American. The wording is easy and thought provoking in some ways. Excellent book to pass through the wintertime. 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 16
The Great Alone is depressing and upsetting and yet depicts reality and frightening bond (of love?) between abuser and abused in a marital type relationship. The mother did protect the daughter in the end!
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 16

I enjoyed “A Gentleman in Moscow”. It was rich with historical content and the main character became more fascinating with each chapter. The Great Alone was depressing. I wanted to shake the mother into protecting her daughter and herself. Not taking  care of herself and child was her fatal flaw. 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 16

Just finished The Death of Mrs. Westaway by Ruth Ware.   Great British contemporary gothic mystery!  Highly recommend it and her book The Woman in Cabin 10.  (You might want to avoid it, though, if you are claustrophobic. It takes place on a 10-cabin yacht.)

I just started Stephen King's The Outsiders and have Claire Fuller's Bitter Orange to read after King.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 16

Reading Providence by Caroline Kepnes.  Not my usual fare but daughter bought for Christmas and we are both reading.  Very intriguing and we enjoy discussing it and what we think.  I am eager to finish but she works and has children and home so I don't want to get too far ahead and get impatient for her to finish too.  I have also started Bobby Kennedy - A Raging Spirit by Chris Matthews.  Great to be retired and have time to indulge myself in reading. 

Kudos
Views