From travel insurance to fraud protection, AARP has you covered. Take a closer look at your member benefits.

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: When You Read, You Are Never Lonely

Message 1 of 9

@mimi0000wrote:

My story is a bit different from you readers.   At an early age  I was given adult responsibilities;  I did not have a normal childhood and did not have time for books.  When I was 15  in high school I started working in a flower shop and by 17 I managed it.      I  had  4 children and when they were all in school I began College.   I read for knowledge but not for pleasure.  I also learn that I had dyslexia.  My career climb through the glass ceiling was successful and I was very active in the Women's Movement.

I only retired to help my son raise my 3 grandsons ages 4-8-9 who are in their twenties now.   I  moved to an isolated farm and headed toward becoming a recluse.  BUT YOU KNOW WHAT...... as a last resort for loneliness  I started reading for pleasure on a NOOK  It has saved my sanity.   I just never knew what I was missing. 

Ironically my off-springs and their off-springs are all readers, thank goodness. 

@mimi0000  Wow what an interesting story.   How is your reading going?

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Respected Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 9

retiredtraveler..Anyway, more on topic, my Dad was an English teacher so our family was brought up reading. He also believed that if one did not read, one would struggle at spelling, vocabulary, and critical thinking.  I would agree.

Just commenting on this one paragraph as it too has always been my belief. An example was when my youngest was passed from first grade to second but had failed reading. This really got me going. We had moved and my children were going to be starting at another school in the fall, so after several unanswered messages left at the convent for his teacher (yes they were in a Catholic school), I gave up and when I registered them at the new school I discussed this situation with the principal. We were both in agreement that he should repeat the first grade. I have never regretted this decision and he went on to join the Navy and rise to the rank of CMC. He finally got his college degree about 2-3 years before he retired from a 30 year career. 

Kudos
Views
Recognized Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 9

My story is a bit different from you readers.   At an early age  I was given adult responsibilities;  I did not have a normal childhood and did not have time for books.  When I was 15  in high school I started working in a flower shop and by 17 I managed it.      I  had  4 children and when they were all in school I began College.   I read for knowledge but not for pleasure.  I also learn that I had dyslexia.  My career climb through the glass ceiling was successful and I was very active in the Women's Movement.

I only retired to help my son raise my 3 grandsons ages 4-8-9 who are in their twenties now.   I  moved to an isolated farm and headed toward becoming a recluse.  BUT YOU KNOW WHAT...... as a last resort for loneliness  I started reading for pleasure on a NOOK  It has saved my sanity.   I just never knew what I was missing. 

Ironically my off-springs and their off-springs are all readers, thank goodness. 

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 9

@SassiLady wrote:

"When you read, you are never lonely".

I had to comment on this even though the few posts are a bit old. I had the good fortune to have a Mom that liked to read and even before I was old enough to have my very own library card I would take books out on hers when I accompanied her to our local library.

I did literally devour books. My favorites were mysteries and I remember reading every single Nancy Drew book written by Carolyn Keene.

My reading lessened when I got married, had three children and worked a full time job, but my love for it never went away. Then we retired and moved to the country where gardening, canning and other things took up my time but I did buy some books at yard sales and go to my local library, just not as often. Thru all those years I belonged to a couple of book clubs and so did so some reading Now I am a widow and purchased a Kindle four years ago and am devouring books once again.

I still thank my mom for instilling a love for reading in me.

Thank you for your comments.  I think that any of us who are lead to reading in our early years are very fortunate.  I thank my grandmother and my dad. 

Kudos
Views
Respected Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 9

"When you read, you are never lonely".

I had to comment on this even though the few posts are a bit old. I had the good fortune to have a Mom that liked to read and even before I was old enough to have my very own library card I would take books out on hers when I accompanied her to our local library.

I did literally devour books. My favorites were mysteries and I remember reading every single Nancy Drew book written by Carolyn Keene.

My reading lessened when I got married, had three children and worked a full time job, but my love for it never went away. Then we retired and moved to the country where gardening, canning and other things took up my time but I did buy some books at yard sales and go to my local library, just not as often. Thru all those years I belonged to a couple of book clubs and so did so some reading Now I am a widow and purchased a Kindle four years ago and am devouring books once again.

I still thank my mom for instilling a love for reading in me.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 9

@retiredtraveler wrote:

"...My usual reading spot is in a Starbucks off of Washington Square Park in Manhattan, which is almost disastrously lame, like traveling to Paris and eating exclusively at McDonald’s or going to London and spending all day in Piccadilly Circus....".

I sure fail to see what is 'lame' about that. You're in one of the most sought-after tourist areas in the world. I've only been to NYC once, and will return. Washington Square was very nice.

Anyway, more on topic, my Dad was an English teacher so our family was brought up reading. He also believed that if one did not read, one would struggle at spelling, vocabulary, and critical thinking.  I would agree.

I think she is saying that there are hundreds of other great spots to read and people watch and she should branch out a little but yes Washington Square is very nice.   My next trip is coming up in a few weeks and it is always hard to fit in everything we want to see and do.   Don't spend any time reading while I am there : )

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 9

"...My usual reading spot is in a Starbucks off of Washington Square Park in Manhattan, which is almost disastrously lame, like traveling to Paris and eating exclusively at McDonald’s or going to London and spending all day in Piccadilly Circus....".

I sure fail to see what is 'lame' about that. You're in one of the most sought-after tourist areas in the world. I've only been to NYC once, and will return. Washington Square was very nice.

Anyway, more on topic, my Dad was an English teacher so our family was brought up reading. He also believed that if one did not read, one would struggle at spelling, vocabulary, and critical thinking.  I would agree.

"...Why is everyone a victim? Take personal responsibility for your life..."
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 9

I came across this post and I thought it was great and I thought I would share it here.

Anyone who is a true reader would understand the message.   As long as you have a book, you are never alone.

I read on the commute to and from work every day as well as at home.  It is such an easy and fulfilling hobby plus you might actually learn something : )

My grandmother was a reader and she introduced me to the mobile library out in the country where she was living called the Bookmobile.   Back in the city there were the libraries and that was the start.  I am rarely without one now : )

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views
Replies

When You Read, You Are Never Lonely

Message 9 of 9

My usual reading spot is in a Starbucks off of Washington Square Park in Manhattan, which is almost disastrously lame, like traveling to Paris and eating exclusively at McDonald’s or going to London and spending all day in Piccadilly Circus.

I’ve always imagined having a brownstone in Brooklyn with a bay window and a little bench where I could read the day away, arranging the pillows just right and breathing warmly on the window when it begins to fog in the winter. Yet the beautiful thing about books is that it doesn’t matter where we consume them (devour them, really), like lonely, inquisitive carnivores looking for answers and shared experiences. In fact, being surrounded by unbearable dullness — the kind you might find in a fluorescently lit chain coffee shop — only heightens the experience, for the contrast becomes so intense as you fall deep into a story.

When I was very young, I would pretend to know how to read by describing the pictures on the page and skipping over the words as if they were hieroglyphs. By grade six, I got the “reading bug” as my mother would say, and I remember a few particular books from my “young adult”-section self with special fondness:

http://thoughtcatalog.com/cody-delistraty/2013/10/when-you-read-you-are-never-lonely/

Kudos
Views
Replies
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Have a question about AARP membership or benefits? Ask it in the AARP Help Membership forum, Benefits & Discounts forum, or General forum.

multiple white question marks with center red question mark

Top Authors