Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Re: What's your favorite book about African American history?

Message 1 of 41

As I reflect on the lives and legacies of three civil rights icons, Congressman John Lewis, Rev C.T. Vivian who passed July 17, 2020 and Rev Joseph Lowery, March 27, 2020, I'm reading/rereading books/articles and listening to audios of speeches that focus  on their struggles, contributions and dedication to the movement and racial justice and equality for black Americans.

Currently, I'm rereading "Walking with the Wind: A Memoir of the Movement" by John Lewis. And currently it is my favorite book about African American history.

Report Inappropriate Content
Highlighted
Contributor

Message 2 of 41

THE\\SPOOK WHO SAT BY THE DOOR.

Highlighted
Contributor

Russell Rules by Bill Russell with David Falkner

Message 3 of 41

This book is essentially about great leadership, in my opinion (and many others), the greatest basketball player to ever play the game with no disrespect to all the others. 

Here's why:  

Sure, others had better stats although he did have excellent overall stats.  He was considered to be a small center compared to Chamberlain and others.  Russell was unselfish and his entire focus was on team success which dovetailed with quarterbacking the fast-break and terrific defense. Russell's real strength was leadership, intelligence, character, hard work, ferocity, self-discipline and sacrifice.  Do they have stats to cover those qualities and do they really matter?  See below:

Won college championship at SF State and 11 of 13 NBA championships with the Boston Celtics.  (The 2 years, they didn't win championships was because Russell didn't play because of injury.)

Highlighted
Contributor

Message 4 of 41

The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks

by Rebecca Skloot  

Bravo! I was just about to post this as my favorite...it covers aspects of medical, social and human interest. But that's just my opinion. A wonderful heart breaking, and soul restoring read!

Highlighted

Summary of the New Jim Crow: By Michelle Alexander

Message 5 of 41

Summary of The New Jim Crow by Michelle Alexander - Includes Analysis

Preview:

The New Jim Crow argues that the ongoing "War on Drugs" and the resulting mass incarceration of African Americans is the moral equivalent of Jim Crow.

Beginning in the seventeenth century, institutions emerged in colonial America that contributed to the creation of a racial caste system. America's current racial caste system builds upon the legacy of both chattel slavery that existed in the United States prior to the Civil War and on the system of Jim Crow laws that designated African Americans to second-class citizenship in many parts of the American South prior to the civil rights movement.

This racial caste system is perpetuated across the country by members of both political parties. It has resulted in a large number of African American men who cannot vote, serve on juries, or find employment and housing. Discrimination against convicts is legally accepted and widespread...

Highlighted
Contributor

Message 6 of 41

“The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks” was published on 2/2/2010.

She was a black tobacco farmer from southern Virginia who got cervical cancer in 1951 when she was 30. On 8/8/1951, she was admitted to Johns Hopkins where a doctor took a piece of her tumor without telling her and sent it down the hall to scientists there who had been trying to grow tissues in culture for decades without success. No one knows why, but her cells never died. Henrietta remained at the hospital until her death on October 4, 1951.

Those cells, called HeLa (Henrietta Lacks) cells, quickly became invaluable to medical research. They were used to develop the Polio Vaccine; went to outer space; and used in HIV, TB, and Ebola studies. One vial of HeLa cells costs $700.

The book is now assigned reading at hundreds of colleges and medical schools. Oprah Winfrey secured the movie rights and stars as Deborah Lacks in the 2017 HBO film.

Literary awards: Ambassador Book Award for American Studies (2011), Audie Award for Nonfiction (2011), Chicago Tribune Heartland Prize for Nonfiction (2010), Wellcome Book Prize (2010), Puddly Award for Nonfiction (2011), Goodreads Choice Award for Nonfiction and Debut Author and Nominee for Favorite Book (2010), AAAS/Subaru SB&F Prize for Excellence in Science Books for Young Adult Science Book

Highlighted

Re: What's your favorite book about African American history? The Painted House by John Grisham

Message 7 of 41

The Painted House by John Grisham : My 1st book that opened my eyes about the injustice  and hardships of how African Americans were treated when I was growing up. Wonder fully written and I could not put it down till I was finished!  It gives you a new perspective of life and how we must embrace it with each other. Life is too short for prejudices.

Highlighted
Contributor

Message 8 of 41

Cool! I'm reading that book now, after starting it and then setting it aside a few years ago.

R.I.P. John Lewis.

Highlighted

MY FAVORITE BOOKS ABOUT BLACK HISTORY

Message 9 of 41

"FREEDOM CALLING" AND "THE EDGE OF FREEDOM" ARE TWO RECENTLY WRITTEN BOOKS ABOUT HOW A RUNAWAY SLAVE  DURING THE CIVIL WAR FOUND FREEDOM AND A NEW LIFE IN AMERICA,   BOTH NOVELS  VIVIDLY  DESCRIBE LIFE DURING THE CIVIL WAR WITH HISTORICAL ACCURACY.  THE PLOT, DESCRIPTIVE WORDS, AND CREATIVE STYLE OF THE AUTHOR MAKE THESE  BOOKS A MUST READ!!!

Highlighted

Message 10 of 41

My favorite book about African American history is Uncle Tom's Cabin by Harriet Beecher Stowe.  I was always aware of unjust racial discrimination, but when I read this book (at the age of 24) my eyes were opened and the injustice that was placed on Uncle Tom and other slaves moved my spirit.  I have taught our daughters and grandchildren that discrimination is wrong!  We are all children of a loveing Heavenly Father - his Son, Jesus Chirst, never taught hatred and that 'white' people are above any other peoples of color.  Heck, I am a decendant of Welch, Danish, Scottish, and British.  I say I am of European Persuasion.  Why we use color to seperate people is beyond my understanding.  Try this to all European Persuasions - Hold a peace of type paper up to your arm or face.- all you 'white;?  NO you are not.  

All people are human beings with gifts, talents, feelings and the ablilty to create - We are the same.  Read Uncle Tom's cabin and see if your attitude towards your fellow man doesn't change.  Then read the 'New Testament' and read what Christ teaches.  All of us need to stop our racial bias and thsoe who have come to be haters you need to change!

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Have a health tip to share or a health question to ask?

Check out the Health Tips discussion board today!

Top Authors