WATCH NOW: Iowa presidential candidate forum from Council Bluffs. Appearing: Montana Gov. Steve Bullock, South Bend Mayor Pete Buttigieg and Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders. 

Respected Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: What's everyone reading?

Message 71 of 9,918

@l483260l  Glad you posted this, sounds like one I will enjoy.  

I am glad to see all you new posters!  This thread goes back a long way and I would loveto see it continue.

hoc voluērunt
Gaius Julius Ceasar
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Recognized Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 72 of 9,918
"Proust was a Neuroscientist" by Jonah Lehrer. It is hard to describe, but simply put pairs artists/poets/ creative types with the hard science disciplines that influenced them or vice-versa. Very thought-provoking & definitely worth a look. Some of the artists/writers included are George Eliot, Paul Cezanne, Gertrude Stein,Walt Whitman.
SUPERGIRL, NO REALLY I MEAN IT! HER REAL NAME & MINE ARE THE SAME( FIRST 2 NAMES ARE)
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 73 of 9,918

...oops - duplicate! 

Sorry.

Tags (4)
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 74 of 9,918

I just finished the first book in a new cozy mystery series that features two women detectives - one is 67 years old and the other is 71!   The Ghost Busting Mystery is the first in the Shady Hoosier Detective Agency series from author Daisy Pettles

Ruby Jane and Veenie are lifelong besties who need more than their social security to get by, so they take jobs as sleuths (since they're nosy anyway) with the Harry Shades Detective Agency - also known as the Shady Hoosier Detective Agency, since Harry's a kind of shady guy...

Ghosts, murder, lost treasure, drunk dog, this book is hysterical fun to read.  Per Daisy's website, two more capers are in Ruby Jan and Veenie's future. 

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 75 of 9,918
WHAT A GREAT TITLE! HOW WOULD YOU DESCRIBE THE AUTHOR'S STYLE ?
SUPERGIRL, NO REALLY I MEAN IT! HER REAL NAME & MINE ARE THE SAME( FIRST 2 NAMES ARE)
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 76 of 9,918
"GO SET A WATCHMAN"- HARPER LEE'S FOLLOW UP TO "TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD".( OR WAS WRITTEN BEFORE & NOT PUBLISHED UNTIL A FEW YEARS AGO ?)"MOCKINGBIRD " IS A STUNNING BOOK& I'M REALLY GLAD TO REVISIT ANYTHING SHE WROTE.
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Re: re: What's everyone reading?

Message 77 of 9,918
FROM THERE, I RECOMMEND GOING TO ANYTHING BY ALICE WALKER, THEN "THEIR EYES WERE WATCHING GOD" BY ZORA NEALE HURSTON- CLASSIC !
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: re: What's everyone reading?

Message 78 of 9,918

Re reading Beloved by Toni Morrison loaded with rich tapestries of beauty. Beautiful language and imagery on a terrible dehumanizing era in United States history 

Kudos
Views
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 79 of 9,918

I just loved this book, 100 yr. Old Man etc.  I think I laughed at every page.  We don't get much to laugh at these days so this book was a godsend.  I recommended it to everyone & they all felt we need more books like this one.

I just listened to the audio book One Good Dog by Susan Wilson.  It's about a fighting pitbull who escapes & finds his way to a man whose whole life is coming apart.   I have the book Racing in the Rain by the same author which I haven't started yet.  Hoping it's as good as One Good Dog.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker +
Kudos
Views

Message 80 of 9,918

The 100-hundred-year-old Man Who Climbed Out The Window and Disappeared by Jonas Jonasson

Kudos
Views