Super Contributor

What's everyone reading?

Hi everyone,

Thought
I'd get my thread started here on what's everyone readingI'm currently
reading John Grisham's "The Summons".  It's very interesting and I hope to finish it
sometime todayWhat's on your coffee table, nightstand or end table?

Janese

Kudos
Views
Replies
Recognized Social Butterfly

LDV, what do you mean about having to click on each comment to read it? I am scrolling through the comments without having to click.

If I am reading a post  I have to click on next message  see the next post.  When I first enter this site I Iook at the dates & visit the ones after my last visit.  But to read each post I have to click on it.  The good thing is that the site moves so fast that I can visit daily, whereas the old site moved slowly and I limited myself to just 2 groups.  I am trying to figure out if you are doing something different?

0 Kudos
Contributor

LDV,

Thank you for the invite back to this forum. I no longer get the e-mail notices when members post and it takes me forever to find this group again when I leave. I finally got smart and bookmarked it. Will haveto look at my profile and check my settings.

I'm reading The Other Typist  by Suzanne Rindell. It is a terrfic psychological book. The other book I'm reading is Famous Writers I have Known about a con artists who impersonates a reclusive author to hide out among your writers with fellowships at UT. A real send-up and comedy. By James Magnuson.

Val

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

LDV, I can't figure out why you're only seeing one post at a time. I see a whole page in the topic "What's Everyone Reading". I get email notifications, and when I click on the link in the email "Re: What's Everyone Reading" it takes me directly to this page full of posts. Are you looking at the page that lists all the forums under Book Talk? When I look at the Book Talk page, I can only see the topic, the author, and the time/date and I have to click on them to see what the post is about. But when I'm in the specific topic "What's Everyone Reading" I can see a whole page of posts.
0 Kudos

I have changed a setting under Options on the left hand side and now I can scroll too!!Smiley Very Happy   I never come to this site from  email notifications but through the "My Community" on the left hand side, where Booktalk is a sub forum.  What a mess but thanks for the help, I was frustrated by the other view.  I think others are using my old way to enter site also, that is why they are quoting the previous post to eliminate congfusion.

As to finding people the only way I have figured out is by clicking on their name in one of their posts.  

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Kathy,

I am glad to see that you made your way back, and I hope more people do.

LDV - I am also not having any trouble scrolling through the posts.  

I am reading The Center of Everything by Laura Moriarty.  It is a coming of age story set in central Kansas in the 1980s, about a young girl who turns to her fundamentalist grandmother when her mother gets pregnant by her married boyfriend.  I wasn't sure if I was going to like it at first, but after the first few chapters it picked up.

Jan

0 Kudos
Trusted Social Butterfly

I finished yesterday "The Supremes at Earl's All You Can Eat" book by Edward Kelsey Moore. it was a quick read,I enjoyed it. I'm about to start a John Grisham book"The Confession". I've read some of his books haven't read one in a couple of yrs.My first paying job in the late 70's was working in a local law firm as a gofer. My dad was a lawyer,at the time I thought I might follow in his footsteps decided against it. I was only there for 3 yrs, learned alot about the legal profession Sue

Walkers Take It All In Strides
0 Kudos

Glad to see you post Diane, I was afraid this thread was becoming a place to keep track of the books I'm reading!!  

I began reading the above title, waiting for the library selections to arrive.  I am still not finished with Closest Companion but will persevere, as I really like it, but cannot read too much of it at a time.  It is probably because it is in the form of a journal.  FDR continues to fascinate me for many reasons.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@LaDolceVita wrote:

Glad to see you post Diane, I was afraid this thread was becoming a place to keep track of the books I'm reading!!  

Some of us are still around : )   What about Edie  ..  any word?

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Kudos
Views
0 Kudos

No, I was hoping she would post in Golden Girls but have not seen anything from her.  These changes always affect our older posters.  AARP has total disregard for them. 

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@LaDolceVita wrote:

No, I was hoping she would post in Golden Girls but have not seen anything from her.  These changes always affect our older posters.  AARP has total disregard for them. 

Hi

I am assuming you were replying to me about Edie in this post.. boy I havnt beenm to Golden Girls in I can't say when.. obviously you did not find her there.  Guess I will have to go with regular mail.

0 Kudos

Hi

I am assuming you were replying to me about Edie in this post.. boy I havnt beenm to Golden Girls in I can't say when.. obviously you did not find her there.  Guess I will have to go with regular mail. 

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

How do you find anyone on this site anymore? I could do it before. How did you find Edie and send her an email? I've looked at Help topics, but it seems like they are geared to the old forum.
0 Kudos

Ksal

@ksales wrote:
How do you find anyone on this site anymore? I could do it before. How did you find Edie and send her an email? I've looked at Help topics, but it seems like they are geared to the old forum

There is a "search" discussion under  Technology, dated 4/17/14, started by Simplegal.  I tried to post the link, but it didnt work.

0 Kudos
Gold Conversationalist

https://community.aarp.org/t5/forums/searchpage/tab/user

The above link will take you to a page where you can search for a User (AARP member)

Frances

Starimage.jpgSparkel18

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Hello,

I see that the traffic has been very slow here.  I have been pretty busy and haven't had a chance to stop in, and I figured there would be a bunch of missed posts.  I hope more people come back.

I just finished An Unfinished Life by Mark Spragg.  It is about an abused woman and her young daughter who move in with her estranged father in law on a ranch in Wyoming.  I loved it.

Jan

0 Kudos

Just saw your post as I was about to leave the site.  The above title sounds good.  I will request it from the library, I do not have much of a hold list.  Funny I keep several books handy, but I am more inspired to read what someone has recommended recently.  

0 Kudos

This is next on my list, still waiting for a copy from the library.  I also have Wives and Daughters and Moonstone waiting to be read on my Kindle app.  Seems I only get to the ebooks when I am out of regular print books.

0 Kudos
Trusted Social Butterfly

The book I'm reading now is "The Supremes at Earl's All You Can Eat' by Edward Kelsey Moore. Its the story of 3 life long pals nicknamed "The Supremes' in the 60's by their high school friends.  They  have gone  thru everything together over the past 4 decades. I'm enjoying it,reminds me of another great book "The  Help". Sue

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@doglover52 wrote:

The book I'm reading now is "The Supremes at Earl's All You Can Eat' by Edward Kelsey Moore. Its the story of 3 life long pals nicknamed "The Supremes' in the 60's by their high school friends.  They  have gone  thru everything together over the past 4 decades. I'm enjoying it,reminds me of another great book "The  Help". Sue

Sounds good!   I am reading "Goodnight, Nebraska"  Tom McNeal

A complex story about a young teenage boy, in a small rural town,  trying to do something right. 

0 Kudos
Trusted Social Butterfly

I just finished reading the book"Brain On Fire" by Susannah Cahalan,had mentioned this in a previous post. This was really good,its about a month of her life where she doesn't remember many things. After countless doctor visits/tests,her diagnosis is finally revealed. She had a rare brain disorder,NMDA autoimmune encephalitis,N-methyl D Aspartate acid receptors are the makeup of the brain chemistry. Dr Dalmau&Najjar saved her life,she calls them "Drs House".

She is able to return to work 7 months later,I highly recommend the book to anyone who likes reading mysterious medical cases. Sue

0 Kudos

Hi Sue,

I am hoping more peope find their way back here.  If noone posts the thread just drops way back.  I am still trying to figure out how to simplify my visits to this site.  I am glad to be able to see new posts about many topics as I enter the site but the places of particular interest are hard to locate.

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Online Community Refresh

Online Community has updated the site design in our discussions area to make it easier to connect, follow a conversation and access resources.

The new look and feel will be rolled out in multiple phases starting with these initial improvements in the conversations and replies levels.

Learn more about the new design today.

AARP Members Only Games

Play members only games, like FIll Ins, Lumeno, 2048 and a collaborative, multiplayer Let's Crossword.

Play Now
AARP Members Only Games Logos
AARP Rewards

Solve Crosswords. Earn Rewards. Activate AARP Rewards to earn points for games, quizzes and videos. Redeem for deals and discounts.

Get started with AARP Rewards now!
/html/assets/Rewards-program-badge-355x224.png