Super Contributor

What's everyone reading?

Hi everyone,

Thought
I'd get my thread started here on what's everyone readingI'm currently
reading John Grisham's "The Summons".  It's very interesting and I hope to finish it
sometime todayWhat's on your coffee table, nightstand or end table?

Janese

Kudos
Views
Replies

Have finished Adrenaline by Jeff Abbott...lively enough to keep reading but flop of an ending...never read him before...doubt if I will again...not my type. I am read Calculated in Death by J D Robb...have read many in this series and am pleased by most...easy to keep track of, enough characterization and good plots....

0 Kudos
Recognized Social Butterfly

In Response to Re: What's everyone reading?:

I've just started reading "Orange is the New Black,My Year in a Women's Prison" by Piper Kerman,had read good reviews,know its been made into a series on Netflix.When I finish it,will give my thoughts about book.

Posted by lefty5222

I have been running across this title often it seems.  Must be on so many people's radar for a reason. Do let us know what you think of it.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Oh, I am looking forward to that one. Her last book was wonderful!! I picked up Little Wolves by thomas Maltman. it takes place in small town MN. I grew up in a very small town in MN and so am eager to see how this plays out. I also have Blood and Beauty: a novel of the Borgias by Sarah Dunant on my to-be-read shelf.

Just finished How the Light Gets In by Louise Penny. Excellent! I highly recommend this series. It does need to be read in order though.

Kathy S.

Posted by ksales

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

Just finished How the Light Gets In by Louise Penny. Excellent! I highly recommend this series. It does need to be read in order though.

Kathy S.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I read Blind Justice  a couple of weeks ago.  I love Anne Perry, but I prefer the Charlotte and Thomas Pitt series to the William Monk series.  I did enjoy this one, so I decided not to give up on Monk.

Jan

Response to Re: What's everyone reading?:

I am reading The Hidden Child by Camilla Lackberg. I am also reading the new Anne Perry book Blind Justice.

Val

I've just started reading "Orange is the New Black,My Year in a Women's Prison" by Piper Kerman,had read good reviews,know its been made into a series on Netflix.When I finish it,will give my thoughts about book.

The older I get,the more I love autumn weather,it feels like that today here in WNY,temps in 50's.The heat/humidity has finally left the area Sue

Posted by lefty5222

Posted by vsandham

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Welcome to the group, Jean.  

We have people here who read all kids of things.  I read mostly mysteries, but I have readand enjoyed some books by Debbie Macomber.  I am not familiar with Anne Gaffery.  What was your favorite book by her?

I am just getting ready to start Double by Marcia Muller and Bill Pronzini.  It links Muller's Sharon McCone (a series I am familiar with) to Pronzini's Nameless detective.  I have not read any Pronzini, so this should prove to be interesting.

Jan

Response to Re: What's everyone reading?:

Hello Everyone-- I am an avid reader of anything by Debbie McComber and Anne Gaffery. Anyone else read these books??

I am rather new here--just retired at 74, a widow, and new to Wisconsin from California.  So am having fun trying to find my way around on this site. 

Jean

Posted by sisjean

0 Kudos

Hello Everyone-- I am an avid reader of anything by Debbie McComber and Anne Gaffery. Anyone else read these books??

I am rather new here--just retired at 74, a widow, and new to Wisconsin from California.  So am having fun trying to find my way around on this site. 

Jean

0 Kudos
Contributor

I am reading The Hidden Child by Camilla Lackberg. I am also reading the new Anne Perry book Blind Justice.

Val

The older I get,the more I love autumn weather,it feels like that today here in WNY,temps in 50's.The heat/humidity has finally left the area Sue

Posted by lefty5222

0 Kudos
Trusted Social Butterfly

Walkers Take It All In Strides
0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Hi All,

Patiently 🙂 awaiting Fall here...still hitting close to 100 degrees! Am almost finished with my first Carl Hiassen book entitled Bad Monkey...silly book but guess that's my level right now. Have Adrenaline by Jeff Abbott and Sharp Objects by Gillian still waiting...probably will have to release one back to library as they're coming in too quickly for me to keep up.

Hope you all are doing well...and others will return at some point. Fall is favorite season so may take a trip to find it...should be somewhere:)

Posted by gina333

Gina, I.too, am looking for Fall...It hasn't shown up in this part of Massachusetts, either!

Edie

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Well, I've just finished another mystery by Harlan Coben (CAUGHT) and Spinner still isn't here!  I hope he is O.K.   Harlan Coben is a favorite author of mine; I have read many of his books.

Edie

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

I have read and loved all the Carl Hiassen books! I've also read all of Gillian Flynn's books including Sharp Objects, and I liked all of them, but these two writers are drastically different.

Kathy S.

Hi All,

Patiently 🙂 awaiting Fall here...still hitting close to 100 degrees! Am almost finished with my first Carl Hiassen book entitled Bad Monkey...silly book but guess that's my level right now. Have Adrenaline by Jeff Abbott and Sharp Objects by Gillian still waiting...probably will have to release one back to library as they're coming in too quickly for me to keep up.

Hope you all are doing well...and others will return at some point. Fall is favorite season so may take a trip to find it...should be somewhere:)

Posted by gina333

0 Kudos

Hi All,

0 Kudos

Val,  the author rambles a bit but I enjoyed the book because I have not read much about Syria.  There are interesting facts  presented and she makes quite a few suppositions.  I have ordered The Etruscans from the library, also by this author.   

0 Kudos
Contributor

Zenobia of Palmyra sounds like a book I would like. I have read several books about the Middle East but most were around WWI. I also like history or almost any age.

Val

In Response to Re: What's everyone reading? Zenobia of Palmyra by Agnes Vaughn - nonfiction:

I thought I would  share my thoughts about this book which I dont think too many people have heard of.  Written by a professor of languages and  literature it is a surprisingly easy read.   It was published in the 1960s and describes the  problematic interaction between Queen Zenobia  of Syria and the Emperor Aurelian.  The author also delves into the history of the   Fertile Crescent  and the Middle East in general.  I love ancient history so it is a very good book for me.

Posted by LaDolceVita

Kudos
Views
0 Kudos

I thought I would  share my thoughts about this book which I dont think too many people have heard of.  Written by a professor of languages and  literature it is a surprisingly easy read.   It was published in the 1960s and describes the  problematic interaction between Queen Zenobia  of Syria and the Emperor Aurelian.  The author also delves into the history of the   Fertile Crescent  and the Middle East in general.  I love ancient history so it is a very good book for me.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

LDV,

I am honored that you think I know how to contact Spinner!   Sorry, but this thread is the only contact that I, like all of you, have had with him.  I know that he's down in Virginia and I am in the Boston area, so I don't expect to run into him anytime soon, either!

I do hope he's O.K.

Edie

0 Kudos

HI Bev,  

Perhaps Edie has a way of contacting Spinner.  I hope he is not sick.  

0 Kudos
Contributor

Edie & LDV~

I still pop into this site on a daily basis I just haven't responded to any posts.  Does anyone know what if anything has happened to Spinner?

-Bev

0 Kudos

Well, at least you are still here Edie.  I have to check in often, as I cannot change pages in this or any other group.  There is a discussion on this in the Community group.  Many people are affected and others not at all. Apparently if you use the email ntoidications to access the group it is possible to change pages.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Darn!

Some of the regulars here, like Spinner and Margaret, are no longer here! frown

I hope they are O.K.

Val, Night Film does sound creepy, but I really like your suggestions, so I might look into it.

I am reading a mystery by Alex Kava, titled Stranded.  It is O.K., but she has written better, IMO.

Edie

0 Kudos

I am reading "What is the color of your parachute, retirement".   I am looking for something like this - help me plan for my retirment.   This is easing some of my anxiety.   But would like to read more - not financial stuff, just life stuff on how to adjust, etc.  Thanks,

0 Kudos
Trusted Social Butterfly

I just finished reading a wonderful book"The Age of Miracles" by Karen Thompson Walker,her debut novel. The narrator  is a 12 yr old girl,Julia who lives in Calif. The story is  her observations after the Earth's rotation goes off track,how it affects her family/neighbors,classmates,everybody around the world. Its a very realistic possibility this could happen one day.It took me 4 days to read,I highly recommend it Sue

0 Kudos
Contributor

Night Film by Marisha Pessl. 

This very a fascinating and creepy book written in an interesting format. The movie rights have already been purchased.

"When the daughter of a cult horror film director is found dead in an abandoned Manhattan warehouse,...

Val

"The Dark Tower" by Stephen King.  It is the seventh and final book in his Dark Tower series.

Posted by maximagxe

0 Kudos

"The Dark Tower" by Stephen King.  It is the seventh and final book in his Dark Tower series.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Hi,

I am almost finished with The Cloud Atlas by Liam Callanan.  It is set in Alaska during WWII, and has to do with Japanese balloon bombs and the relationship between a young soldier and a native woman.  It is pretty interesting.  

Next up is a library book, selected mostly for the fun sounding title - The True and Outstanding Adventures of the Hunt Sisters, by Elisabeth Robinson.

Jan

0 Kudos

Welcome Teresa and hello everyone,

Gina, I know you would enjoy The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks.  I'm sure my genetics professor got more out  of it than I did, but it is readable and written with the layman in mind.  My library had tons of requests for it and I think Edie and others here have read it.  

Spinner, please stop hiding.  We worry when people dont post.  Sally is missed too.  

0 Kudos
Trusted Social Butterfly

Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks--it appears on a LOT of college reading lists.  Did anyone find it too technical/medical to read?

Posted by TeresaStitcher

I was in the health field with my job,I worked part time for 27yrs as a pharm tech at local hosptial,always loved reading non fiction medical books still do.I took early retirement 2 yrs ago,read the book last yr. I did have to use my Merck reference guide to look up some things I didn't know,otherwise I really enjoyed it Sue

0 Kudos

I love to read, but read slowly due to life interruptions.  I'm currently reaading Gardens in the Dunes by Leslie Marmon Silko.  I'm over halfway through, and am really enjoying it.

0 Kudos

Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks--it appears on a LOT of college reading lists.  Did anyone find it too technical/medical to read?

0 Kudos