Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: What's everyone reading?

Message 361 of 9,987

@doglover52 wrote:

Yesterday,I finished reading "Voices in The Ocean" by Susan Casey,fascinating book about wild dolphins. I had trouble getting thru couple chapters when the author explains how bottlenose dolphins are captured/sold to the highest bidder to marine parks around the world. She mentions the AcademyAward winning documentary,"The Cove' which is located  in Japan,the unthinkable cruelty  the dolphin hunters do. She also mentions,Ric O'Leary who yrs ago trained the 5 female dolphins who played "Flipper' in TV show. He grew to dislike his job,now he is a very active dolphin advocate.

I enjoyed the book,just a tad too long 334 pgs.

Such a terrible practice and reminds me of the big expose' after the SeaWorld trainer's death, about the treatment of whales.

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 362 of 9,987

@LaDolceVita wrote:

I picked up Hill Towers by Anne Rivers Siddons to read while waiting for another copy of Love is Eternal.  I began reading it last night and I liked it very well!! 

@nyadrn@   @gatorgorilla, you are very much missed here.  I love your book selections & scintillating company Woman Very Happy.  

This is an ancient thread  and I think one of the best ones on AARP.  I have neglected it and now it is buried, I actually had to do a search to find it. 

P.S.  to Diane & Pam.  Perhaps you are thinking that now even people on message boards are making demands on you!!  Woman Embarassed

It is an ancient thread ... started by my friend Janese (still FB friends!)  and Edie kept it going for a long time.  People read!  and always will imho.  I love to read, you are never lonely or bored.  You can do it about anywhere..  commuting and porch reading are my favs : )  Glad you are still posting here.

Just finished Sister of My Heart by Chitra Benerjee Divakaruni  (sad story about two girls growing up in India) really good though.  Looking forward to trying Mistress of Spices  another of hers

and

What She Left Behind by Ellen Marie Wiseman  (another equally sad story about two women, generations apart.

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Recognized Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 363 of 9,987

I picked up Hill Towers by Anne Rivers Siddons to read while waiting for another copy of Love is Eternal.  I began reading it last night and I liked it very well!! 

@nyadrn   @gatorgorilla, you are very much missed here.  I love your book selections & scintillating company Woman Very Happy.  

This is an ancient thread  and I think one of the best ones on AARP.  I have neglected it and now it is buried, I actually had to do a search to find it. 

P.S.  to Diane & Pam.  Perhaps you are thinking that now even people on message boards are making demands on you!!  Woman Embarassed

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 364 of 9,987

Sue, I just read

@doglover52 wrote:

Yesterday,I finished reading "Voices in The Ocean" by Susan Casey,fascinating book about wild dolphins. I had trouble getting thru couple chapters when the author explains how bottlenose dolphins are captured/sold to the highest bidder to marine parks around the world. She mentions the AcademyAward winning documentary,"The Cove' which is located  in Japan,the unthinkable cruelty  the dolphin hunters do. She also mentions,Ric O'Leary who yrs ago trained the 5 female dolphins who played "Flipper' in TV show. He grew to dislike his job,now he is a very active dolphin advocate.

@doglover52 Sue, I just read your post.  Very disturbing, I am glad that there is information being made available  to the public about the horrors of these practices. 

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 365 of 9,987

It has been a terrible summer for me as far as reading goes.  I have hardly read at all.  I haave started reading Love is Eternal by Irving Stone but I have to request it from the library again to be able to finish it.  I requested several other Irving Stone books as well.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 366 of 9,987

I finished "The Secret Wisdom of the Earth' this afternoon. I forgot to mention in my previous post,there is another component of the book,coal mining,the jobs that come with it,conflict of what it does to the landscape of a community. This was terrific well written,characters you get engrossed with,hoping things will turn out well for them. I recommend the book.

Next up is the 3rd book by Robert Galbraith{ aka JK Rowling} "Career of Evil". I've read the first 2 in this series"The Silkworm ,"The Cuckoo's Calling" loved them both Sue

Walkers Take It All In Strides
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 367 of 9,987

The book I'm reading now is"The Secret Wisdom of the Earth" by Christopher Scotton

The story centers around 14yr old Kevin who witnesses the tragic death of his younger brother,Josh.Kevin&his mom go to live with his grandfather in a coal mining town in Appalachia. Kevin becomes friends with a local boy,Buzzy who teaches him the mysteries of the woods surrounding their homes.

Pops,Kevin's grandfather is the local vet,to help his grandson try to heal after the tragedy,brings him along and soon he becomes his valued assistant.

The book is 466pgs long but I can't put it down,started reading it 3 days ago.I've wiped away tears in some parts. This is a debut novel for the author

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 368 of 9,987

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 369 of 9,987

The book I've just started is "Voices in The Ocean: Journey Into the Wild&Haunting Life of Dolphins" by Susan Casey. The author had a profound experience swimming with dolphins off the coast of Maui. She wants to learn everything she can about these smart,wonderful creatures.

I've loved dolphins for yrs,it started when I watched the classic TV show "Flipper" '64-'68. Sue

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 370 of 9,987

I just finished Florence Henderson's memoir "Life is Not A Stage",enjoyed it. I learned some facts about her I didn't know.She is the youngest of 10 kids,her father was an alcoholic,sexually &verbally abused Flo when she&her older sister were 12 and 13. Their mother walked out of family when Flo was 12. To this day,she stays in contact with her "Brady Bunch kids". I recommend the book. Sue

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Ask the Expert: What advice do you need to better manage your stress and anxiety?

Clinical Psychologists Barry Jacobs and Julie Mayer will answer your questions on how to cope with the major life change, anxiety, and sadness we are all facing these days. Ask a question now and tune in live on May 27, 3-5 p.m. ET.