WATCH NOW: Iowa presidential candidate forum from Council Bluffs. Appearing: Montana Gov. Steve Bullock, South Bend Mayor Pete Buttigieg and Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders. 

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: What's everyone reading?

Message 331 of 9,918

I recently read "Alligator Candy:  A Memoir", by David Kushner.  In fact, I read it through several times, as it took place in the area of Tampa where I live.

"Alligator Candy:  A Memoir",  is the non-fiction account of how the author & his family dealt with the senseless, brutal murder of his older brother in the fall of 1973, by a pair of psychopaths.  One afternoon the older brother rode off to the nearby 7-Eleven, taking an often-used path through the woods, to get to the store.  He never returned home.  His abandoned bike was found within 24 hours.  His brutalized body was found a week later.

The book is a "probing, poignant memoir about tragedy, grief, and trying to cope".  It is dark reading, of course, but a strong memorial to Kushner's lost brother.  The book also serves as a fine tribute to Kushner's parents & their handling of the tragedy.  It helped me to read how this family coped, over the years, and got on with their lives.  I learned how detailed aspects of the tragedy only gradually became known to the author, who was four years old when he lost his brother.

I wanted to read how such a tragedy was dealt with, and the author does an excellent job of describing the years following the tragedy.  My particular point of reference involved a former student of mine, who was brutally murdered by a psychopath (a tragedy which received national news coverage some years ago).  That type tragedy is not something you readily discuss with others, a fact/reality the author makes abundantly clear, and which was what I experienced.     

Though my situation was "at a distance" since it was not with a family member, but with a former student,  reading Kushner's book was helpful & enlightening to me, and I am surely glad he chose to write the book.  I am also glad I chose to read his book.   Pam

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 332 of 9,918

@LaDolceVita   Earlier this year, over at TV Talk forum, I picked up on a novel that Diane had apparently mentioned to another poster, "While We Were Watching Downton Abbey", by Wendy Wax.  This book portrays three women who live in same building, in modern day Atlanta.  What I really love is that they are obviously Southern-bred women, but not in that over-the-top, stylized fashion you get in way too many novels.  I just dove right into these women's lives and lost myself for awhile.  It was great!

So, yes, I'd have to agree with you - Diane has some good suggestions, bookwise.  Smiley Happy

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 333 of 9,918

@LaDolceVita   The books in this series can be read out of order and still be entertaining, I believe.  But I suggest you begin with "An Arranged Marriage", which is the first book in the Rogue series, and introduces you to the leader of the Rogues, Nicholas Delaney, & The Company of Rogues in general.

This is a Regency romance series, so be prepared for very light, unchallenging reading.  I think you have to love the particular romance that is brewing - that is what always draws me to some romances more than others.  I read/skimmed this first book in the series several times, before I felt I truly understood and accepted the romance between Nicholas & Eleanor.  

Each of the members of The Company of Rogues eventually gets his own book/story, along with some books feauturing a few individuals in the "supporting cast" of characters who people this series.

If you like "An Arranged Marriage", I would suggest reading the series in order, if possible.

The second book in the series is "An Unwilling Bride".  Both the first and second books are favorites of mine.  My other two particular favorites in the series are "The Devil's Heiress" and "To Rescue A Rogue".  Everyone has their own special favorites, of course.  If you give this series a try, I hope it will provide you with some entertaining escapism, LaDolceVita.  I freely admit that's what it does for me!   Pam

Kudos
Views
Respected Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 334 of 9,918

Hi Gator,

I would like to read  these,  the Rougue series that is, which one do you recommend starting with?  BTW it is good to see you posting here.  I must ask Diane to visit once in a while, I love her book selections.

hoc voluērunt
Gaius Julius Ceasar
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 335 of 9,918

I've been re-reading the books in Jo Beverley's Regency Romance series, "The Company of Rogues".  This morning I decided to do a little internet search for some further info about the series, and was sadly stunned to discover that author Jo Beverley passed away, of cancer, on May 23, 2016.

Jo Beverley wrote other books besides the "Rogue" series, but I have only ever read the Rogue books, which I have loved enough to re-read several times.

R.I.P.  Jo Beverley...

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 336 of 9,918

The above book sounds good Sue.  I have moved on to a non fiction account of Doc Hollidays's life,   Doc Holliday: A Family Portrait by Karen Holliday Tanner.  Very readable and I am really enjoying it.

hoc voluērunt
Gaius Julius Ceasar
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 337 of 9,918

The book I'm reading now is "Eye of The Beholder: Johannes Vermeer,Antoni Van Leeuwenhoek,The Revolution of Seeing" by Laura Snyder.

This is a fascinating book about 17th century Holland,the discovery of optics such as tiny microscopes , how Veneer and Leeuwenhoek used this new technology in the way they painted. This book is part science&history,I can't put the book down. Sue

Walkers Take It All In Strides
Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 338 of 9,918

I am re-reading all of my David Eddings books - they are fantastic fantasy books with the usual theme of good trying to over come evil.  Once I re-read these books I will get back to reading all the ebooks that I haven't read.

Lindy Witz
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 339 of 9,918

@VaBluebird51 wrote:

The Secret Chord by Geraldine Brooks

I love Geraldine Brooks & this is a must read for me.  Thank you!

hoc voluērunt
Gaius Julius Ceasar
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 340 of 9,918

The book I'm reading now is "The Favored Child" by Phillpa Gregory. The story is set in the 18th century in England,2 young children,cousins Julie and Richard are growing up together in the Wildacre Estate but only one is the true heir to the Lacey.

I like historical  novels and so far this book is good. I've read a couple other books by the author,like the way she writes. Sue

Walkers Take It All In Strides
Kudos
Views