Super Contributor

What's everyone reading?

Hi everyone,

Thought
I'd get my thread started here on what's everyone readingI'm currently
reading John Grisham's "The Summons".  It's very interesting and I hope to finish it
sometime todayWhat's on your coffee table, nightstand or end table?

Janese

Kudos
Views
Replies
Silver Conversationalist

I'm working on Broad Band, Water In Texas and Outwitting Squirrels. I have read about halfway through each.

0 Kudos
Bronze Conversationalist

I'm reading two interesting books:

The New 8 Week Cholesterol Cure, by Robert E. Kowalski

(I had to begin a statin 3 weeks ago which displeases me to say the least. I thought I was eating a healthy diet, but I'm learning a few things! This book was suggested to me by my long time chiropractor, whose opinion I value highly.)

Night Fall by Nelson DeMille, third book in the John Corey series.

(John Corey can be a really annoying hero at times who tries too hard to be funny, often when it's a bad idea, but the stories keep me riveted. Most of each book is set in New York City and Long Island, and having lived there for quite a few years, I'm familiar with the areas he inhabits and sometimes seems to haunt.)

Sir Granny Tracy
Honored Social Butterfly

Re:  

Night Fall by Nelson DeMille, third book in the John Corey series.

(John Corey can be a really annoying hero at times who tries too hard to be funny, often when it's a bad idea, but the stories keep me riveted. Most of each book is set in New York City and Long Island, and having lived there for quite a few years, I'm familiar with the areas he inhabits and sometimes seems to haunt.)

Sir Granny Tracy

Thank you for the review!

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Honored Social Butterfly

Spoiler
no spoiler. Count removed the box

Just finished

sold on a monday

Kristina McMorris

Very unique story line. I enjoyed it.

Bronze Conversationalist

Plum Island by Nelson DeMille.

Great murder mystery  with some laugh out loud humor. I'm a new fan!

Sir Granny Tracy
Silver Conversationalist

You have made a great find in Nelson Demille.  I've read all of his books - and enjoyed them all!!  Smiley Very Happy

Social Butterfly

@wilful wrote:

You have made a great find in Nelson Demille.  I've read all of his books - and enjoyed them all!!  Smiley Very Happy

I read The Charm School years ago and I loved it.

Periodic Contributor

I have to admit I'm reading one of my own books that just released this week. Hiding Heart, it's a western historical romance.

I'm also listening to White Lies by Jayne Ann Krentz.

Author
0 Kudos
Silver Conversationalist

Hi Alysia - As soon as I read your posting - I popped over to Amazon and was pleased to see that your book was available in my Kindle Unlimited reading.  A coupla clicks and it was on my Kindle.  Free - I should add!  It's in line (# 3) for reading.

0 Kudos
Super Contributor

Just finished Duma Key by Stephen King which, I think, is one of his best.  Have started Adam and Eve and Pinch Me by Ruth Rendell, my hard-covered book & also The Outsider by Stephen King which I downloaded from the public library.  With this virus I am so thankful for books.

Honored Social Butterfly

@doglvr wrote:

Just finished Duma Key by Stephen King which, I think, is one of his best.  Have started Adam and Eve and Pinch Me by Ruth Rendell, my hard-covered book & also The Outsider by Stephen King which I downloaded from the public library.  With this virus I am so thankful for books.

Me too!  I love Stephen King and look forward to Duma Key!  

nice to see you still here posting!

Regular Contributor

I just finished The Book Woman of Troublesome Creek by Kim Michele Richardson.  What an interesting novel! History during the depression that I did not know.  Worth adding to your read list. 

Honored Social Butterfly

Maybe I posted this before?  Because I was reading it earlier but then stopped.  

Something Deeply Hidden.   It's about quantum mechanics, but for the layperson.   And the existence of multiple universes, multiple yous.     Fascinating. 

https://www.amazon.com/Something-Deeply-Hidden-Emergence-Spacetime/dp/1524743011 

something deeply hidden cover.jpg

Recognized Social Butterfly

@ManicProgressive   Good recommendation, thanks.

Honored Social Butterfly

@LaDolceVita wrote:

@ManicProgressive   Good recommendation, thanks.

Nice to see you are still here posting ❤️

Honored Social Butterfly

The Woman I Was Before. Kerry Fisher

Fisher

The perfect picture hides the darkest lies.A new home can be a happy ending...goodreads.com

glad to see the topic is still going

@nyadrn   Hi Diane,  I respond to this thread whenever I see a new post.   May be the longest running thread on AARP.   I would love to see it continue.   So many good books listed here over the years.

Honored Social Butterfly

@LaDolceVita wrote:

@nyadrn   Hi Diane,  I respond to this thread whenever I see a new post.   May be the longest running thread on AARP.   I would love to see it continue.   So many good books listed here over the years.

I agree.  This and Rock n Roll are my 2. 
hope you are well. I have been working remotely starting on 6 weeks now. 
Miss Edie. 

@nyadrn   I think of Edie too when I visit here.  She loved books  and libraries.   I miss many of the posters who left after the big changes.  There were so many great recommendations from many genres.   I would love to lure Janese back here but I do not think I can  Woman Happy

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist

"Daughters of the Dream" by Tamara Lucas Copeland, is a great book about middle class African American life during the civil rights era and the amazing friendship between eight women starting in elementary school and that continues today. A great, interesting and easy read.

Regular Contributor

Thanks for this recommendation, I will try to find it. 

Bronze Conversationalist

I'm currently rereading a favorite Michael Connelly novel, THE LINCOLN LAWYER. You may recall the move that starred Matthew McConaughey, about a defense attorney who consistently walked a line of near disaster, while defending a less than stellar client. Like all of Michael Connelly's books, this is a fast paced page turner that I hate to put down, even though I know the story and how it will end. 

Sir Granny Tracy

Hello,

I am reading Is Here Life Before Death?: All That Is Life Does Not Glitter, Not All Those Who Dream Are Asleep, by Donald Burrell.

Honored Social Butterfly

I'm reading the Children of the Land, a memoir by a young man who grew up undocumented in the U.S.

I'm listening to the Back Channel on audible, a biography by former diplomat William J. Burns.   

Both are great.

The back channel.jpg

children of the land.jpg

Conversationalist

"The Warmth of Other Suns by Isabel Wilkerson" The migration of black americans from the jim crow south to northern and western cities in search of a better life. A great book and a very easy read. Treat yourself to a really good read.

Love to see new posts in this old and wonderful thread.  I am reading Galileo's Daughter  by Dava Sobel which has been on my book shelf for years.  My mother read it a few years ago and I put it away for a rainy day.   Very interesting biography with much information both about Galileo, his daughter and their period in history.

Super Contributor

Finally, since early Jan., downloaded The Dutch House from our library.  There were so many holds on it now I get to find out if it's worth the wait.  That's on my tablet & my physical book is The Scribe of Sienna by Melodie Winawer, which I also just started.  I also have 2 Kindles with Look Homeward Angel on 1 & Peter Winsey mysteries on the other.  People ask how I can read different books at the same time, but I have no answer.  Just can & I consider it a gift.

Super Contributor

I finished The Dutch House, after waiting months for it, & was bored from Pg. 1.  I'm trying to figure out why is was #1 on best seller list because it was repetitious beyond belief.  Now reading Scribe of Siena & it grabbed me on the 1st page.

Kudos
Views
Periodic Contributor

I am reading a book titled "The sex lives of cannibals: adrift in the equatorial pacific " ,written by J. Marten Troost. It's interesting and reads like a memoir. It's very comical. But, don't be put off by the title.

Honored Social Butterfly

I just finished American Dirt, a controversial book about a Mexican migrant fleeing cartel violence, written by a white woman with no ties to Mexico.

I am now reading Children of the Land, a suggested alternative, to compare.