Super Contributor

What's everyone reading?

Hi everyone,

Thought
I'd get my thread started here on what's everyone readingI'm currently
reading John Grisham's "The Summons".  It's very interesting and I hope to finish it
sometime todayWhat's on your coffee table, nightstand or end table?

Janese

Kudos
Views
Replies
Regular Contributor

ksales - hope you're coping with the weather in your neck of the woods.  Here in the Cleveland area we have a ton of snow - 15-18" and it was under 10 degrees - very cold today.  First time I felt it so cold this year.  I've noted Fear the Darkness on my "to read" list.  It looks like one I want to read.  I wish I could read faster - I have ten books in line to read (from the library).  I might have to send ome back because I am starting to feel overwhelmed.  I usually don't read during the day because my husband is always wanting to go somewhere and otherwise interrupts my concentration.  But I read every night before I go to bed - though sometimes I'm ready to fall asleep 5 minutes after I start - other times I read until 3:00 or 4:00 am.  That throws my day all off.  I'm developing some bad habits in my retirement.

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

I just have to recommend this wonderful book I just finished--600 Hours of Edward by Craig Lancaster. I laughed, I cried, and I didn't want it to end. Thankfully, I think there are a couple of other "Edward" books. It's a fiction story about a near-middle-age man who has Aspberger's and OCD and how he copes with some changes in his life. No matter what your reading tastes, I feel sure you will love it.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@ksales wrote:

I just have to recommend this wonderful book I just finished--600 Hours of Edward by Craig Lancaster. I laughed, I cried, and I didn't want it to end. Thankfully, I think there are a couple of other "Edward" books. It's a fiction story about a near-middle-age man who has Aspberger's and OCD and how he copes with some changes in his life. No matter what your reading tastes, I feel sure you will love it.

Thanks for this post, ksales!  I certainly want to give this book a try, based on your recommendation.  gatorgorilla/Pam

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Thanks for the recommendation. I have added it to my list.
Jan
0 Kudos
Conversationalist

I read Confessions of an Economic Hit Man by John Perkins.

John Adams, the second US President stated...

There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation.
One is by the sword. The other is by debt.

The book is basically about the "dirt" in America's politics.

The US would exploit developing countries by offering loans to build up their infrastructure which really served and benefited a very few; those who needed it to drive their corporations (power plants, roads, ports, etc).

The catch was that those developing countries had to use US engineering firms to carry out the projects. So essentially, the loans were redirected to US companies who would no doubt make massive profits on the project.

The developing country who now is in debt and could not pay them off were given options. Give us your oil or your resources or let us build a military base on your soil or back us with a vote in our favour.

All this under the guise of foreign aid. Yeah, foreign aid to who?

When you are dealing with people like that, how bad can the other guy be that the US calls a threat?

There are numerous videos with John Perkins on YouTube.
Alex
0 Kudos
Recognized Social Butterfly

Welcome  TravelledOne.  I hope you visit here regularly.

I picked up the following at the library:

Took a Licking and Kept on Ticking by Lewis Grizzard, a well known Atlanta journalist

Imperium by Robert Harris, a novel of Ancient Rome

The Education of Little Tree by Forrest Carter

Trying to Get to Heaven, Opinions of a Tennessee Talker by Dixie Carter

I am halfway through with Alison Weir's non fiction book Eleanor of Aquitaine.  It is ful of facts and a slow read.  This is my second six week loan from the library.  I am trying to fill in some gaps in my knowledge of history.

0 Kudos
Trusted Social Butterfly

The book I've just started reading is "The Forever Girl" by Alexander McCall Smith,one of my favorite authors. The story is about a mother,Amanda&her daughter,Clover who live in a close community in the Grand Camyan Islands,so far I'm enjoying it. I love the way Smith writes,have all the books from his series"The #1 Ladies Detective Agency". Sue

Walkers Take It All In Strides
0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Sue, I enjoyed the #1 Ladies Detective series also.  I started them quite a few years ago but haven't read his latest - at least, I think he has a relatively new one out.  I did read one of his other books and wasn't quite as impressed but wouldn't stop me from reading another.  Can't remember the name of that book.

0 Kudos
Trusted Social Butterfly

@Angel-Sally wrote:

Sue, I enjoyed the #1 Ladies Detective series also.  I started them quite a few years ago but haven't read his latest - at least, I think he has a relatively new one out.  I did read one of his other books and wasn't quite as impressed but wouldn't stop me from reading another.  Can't remember the name of that book.

Hi Angel-Sally,"Forever Girl" which I just finished was good,its not part of any of his other series books. The other book you may have been referring to is called "Trains&Lovers'. I tried reading his other books"The Isabel Dalahousie" series&"44 Scotland St" series,couldn't get into them. The other series I haven't read is"In the Corduroy Mansions',might ck that out since one of the main characters is a dog Sue

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Sue, I think it was one of the detective series - maybe 44 Scotland Yard series.  It's been a few years and I'd have to see if I put it on my list of read books.  Will let you know if I find it.  Sally

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Just finished   Cormac McCarthy's   The Road  

"The Road is a 2006 novel by American writer Cormac McCarthy. It is a post-apocalyptic tale of a journey of a father and his young son over a period of several months ..."

Really makes you think.

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Kudos
Views

I saw the movie a few years back after seeing "No Country for Old Men" also by McCarthy.  I like both in the form of movies.  I think the visuals and acting both made the movies very good if not everyone's cup of tea.  In "The Road" the sun never appeared.

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

nyadm, I read The Road several years back.  It does make you think.  Just the idea of walking south and looking for untainted food and not be robbed of what little you have - scarey.  But as far as books go, I really can't say it was a favorite and that was probably because of the subject matter.  I normally don't read that kind of story.  I haven't read any of his other books yet.  My list is too long and I can only do one or two books a week if I'm lucky. 

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

My clock radio which I don't think that many people own these days.  LOL

Regular Contributor

HA!!!! I like that....short read but useful!
Trusted Social Butterfly

Happy New Year to all,my wish for 2015 we get new people to post in the group.

The book I started yesterday is "The Death of Santini" by Pat Conroy. In one of his previous books"The Great Santini" he wrote about his&6 siblings upbringing living at different military bases in the South. His father was a Marine Corps fighter,had a violent and cruel temper which he regularly lashed out at his wife& 7kids,Pat being the oldest.His family wasn't happy he wrote that book or the movie version'79 starring Robert Duvall.

I have read most of Conroy's books,enjoyed them.I hope this one is good too Sue

0 Kudos
Trusted Social Butterfly

I'm halfway thru reading "The Giver Quartet",its very good. I made a mistake in previous post,the book has 770pgs not 712.

On a 'spur of the moment' this past Sunday,I bought online Anne LaMott's latest book"Small Victories: Spotting Improbable Moments of Grace". It arrived Weds afternoon,started reading it. Its 1000 times better than her previous one,"Stitches",the book is only 258pgs. I highly recommend it to those who enjoy LaMott's humor&writing Sue

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

I haven't read anything but magaines and catalogs and the newspaper for the past two weeks.  I have too much to do and didn't want to get hung up on a good story and get nothing done.  I have a couple books lined up...when it comes to books, I'm always prepared.

Dont you love it when a book kidnaps you.jpg

0 Kudos
Trusted Social Butterfly

In my previous post mentioned i was reading Efrem Zimbalist,Jr's memoir"Dinner With Herbs'. I really enjoyed it,finished in 2 days

The book I'm reading now is actually for young adults. This summer I saw the movie"The Giver" based on Lois Lowry's book by the same name,really liked the movie. The story is set in the future where the residents of a community aren't aware of disruptive mood swings such as music,death is referred as 'elsewhere'. Every day the residents take a drug that reduces their world to black&white.Everybody in the community is assigned a role when they reach 12. I certainly wouldn't want to live in this type of society,where everything is dictated by others, known as "the Elders"

The main character,Jonas has been selected to learn from "The Giver" a man who knows all about things in life that the others have no clue about.When he starts learning about what's out past the community border,he becomes very interested. The book I'm reading is called "The Giver Quartet",4 of her books together.Its 710 pgs,can't put the book down.

The movie version starred Jeff Bridges as "The Giver",Meryl Streep as the head evil "Elder",Brenton Thwaites played Jonas Sue

0 Kudos
Trusted Social Butterfly

The book I'm about to read is a memoir by one of my all time favorite TV actors,late Efrem Zimbalist,Jr. he died in May,age 95 The title is "My Dinner With Herbs",wasn't aware he wrote this until recently,book came out in 2004. I had a huge crush on him as a teenager,he was the star of the hit ABC show"The FBI",that's where it started for me.

One of my all time favorite detective shows was "Remington Steele'{'82-'85} which starred his daughter,Stephanie along with Pierce Brosnan. Efrem appeared in recurring role as "Daniel Chambers"playing Steele's mentor. It was always fun to watch him&his daughter in scenes together. I know some background about his family,hope the book details more. Sue

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@doglover52 wrote:

The book I'm about to read is a memoir by one of my all time favorite TV actors,late Efrem Zimbalist,Jr. he died in May,age 95 The title is "My Dinner With Herbs",wasn't aware he wrote this until recently,book came out in 2004. I had a huge crush on him as a teenager,he was the star of the hit ABC show"The FBI",that's where it started for me.

One of my all time favorite detective shows was "Remington Steele'{'82-'85} which starred his daughter,Stephanie along with Pierce Brosnan. Efrem appeared in recurring role as "Daniel Chambers"playing Steele's mentor. It was always fun to watch him&his daughter in scenes together. I know some background about his family,hope the book details more. Sue

Sue,  It sounds like your should find Zimbalist's memoir quite interesting - and I hope you do!

I am currently 80 pages into Mrs. Lincoln's Dressmaker, a novel by Jennifer Chiaverini.  Have not read any reviews, so am not sure exactly where this novel will take me.  The Civil War has just begun and Willie Lincoln has died.  I cannot promise those of you who know me to be a "popcorn reader" that this is not "popcorn", but it is certainly well-written thus far, "popcorn" or not.

I have found that I am not absorbing written material very well when I have to read it off of an electronic screen.  I was somewhat dismayed when I realized that fact.  If I had to do all my reading via a screen, I imagine reading would no longer be one of my favorite diversions.  

Since all of us at this topic supposedly enjoy reading, I would like to ask:  do any of you try to actively follow the posts at Politics and Current Events, here at AARP site?  Some of those posts are so long and convoluted that I have given up trying to follow them.  But I am still capable of reading the Tampa Bay Times every day, and I do so.  So, I am giving myself a pat on the back for that.

Happy reading, everyone!   Pam

additional comment:  I know The Tampa Bay Times is not of Wall Street Journal, New York Times,  Washington Post, etc,  caliber, but it is our local paper, along with the Tampa Tribune of very few pages daily, so we subscribe and I read. My husband "has" to have local, as well as national, sports news to read every morning with his coffee, and he is not about to go on-line to do his reading.  Hence our subscription to The Tampa Bay Times (which I wish was still called The St. Pete Times...)

0 Kudos
Trusted Social Butterfly

Pam,I don't follow the Politics discussions because they can become mean spirited,sometimes they get 'off topic',it gets confusing what people are posting to. A friend of mine read the book you're reading and enjoyed it Sue
Kudos
Views
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@doglover52 wrote:
Pam,I don't follow the Politics discussions because they can become mean spirited,sometimes they get 'off topic',it gets confusing what people are posting to. A friend of mine read the book you're reading and enjoyed it Sue

Sue,  Thanks for your reply.  Because of an additional post that you have made, I am now interested in seeing if my library has a copy of  The Giver Quartet by Lois Lowry, that you are so enthused about. Smiley Happy

For those who enjoy modern romances, I will mention the author, Susan Elizabeth Phillips.  I have just discovered her and am reading Heroes Are My Weakness.  I am about a third of the way through the book, and am enjoying it enough that I imagine I will try to read some more of her books.  Phillips has written that she owes her love of reading to the novels of Mary Stewart, Anya Seton, Charlotte Bronte, Daphne du Maurier, Victoria Holt, and Phyllis Whitney.  I love those authors, so that makes me all the more enthusiastic about this author!   Pam

0 Kudos
Trusted Social Butterfly

Hi Pam,regarding Lois Lowry's 4 books,I couldn't find them all separately,so I bought the"Quartet' on Amazon. I don't know if your local library would have it. The books are "The Giver,Gathering Blue,Messenger and Son". Sue
0 Kudos
Trusted Social Butterfly

I just finished reading "Unbroken" by Laura Hillenbrand,true story of Louis Zamperini,what he and other captured Amercians endured in one particular Japanese POW camp for 2 yrs during WWII. The inhumane treatment at this camp with a man called "The Bird" was difficult in some parts to read.

When Louie & many former POW's returned home,it was a major adjustment for many. Louie was able to get his life together after couple of yrs. I couldn't put the book down,highly recommend it

The movie version directed by actress,Angelina Jolie comes out Christmas Day. I hope the movie is as good as the book, sad Louie isn't here to see it. He died this past July age 97. I .The author's other book,"Seabiscuit" I also loved&the movie version Sue

0 Kudos

Sue, I could not read the Unbroken.   I will have to stay away from the movie too.  I cannot sleep at night if I expose my mind to graphic violence.  I probably miss out on good books an movies this way.  Lately I fall asleep after reading about a half an hour.  Its taking me 6 weeks to read a book! 

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

La Dolce Vita, I've noticed recently that some of the kinds of books I used to enjoy don't hold my interest any more.  I've come to the point where if something upsets me about the direction the book takes, I'm out of there also.  I'm not planning on reading Unbroken either.  It might have been on my list a while back but that was before I heard more about the story.

0 Kudos
Super Contributor

Don't know if anyone still remembers me but way back when I started this thread. Good to see some of my old friends are still here. Hi Angel Sally and La Dolce Vita. Not sure how this new site works but I will give it a shot. I'm currently reading Unbroken. Can't wait to see the movie and hope to finish the book before it gets here. There is even a story about it in my husband's legion magazine.
0 Kudos

We remember you and miss you!!   I was just thinking about you the other day.  We have not heard from you since your mom died.   My life is getting increasingly hectic but I visit here several times a week.  So glad to see you and dont  be a stranger.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

R.I.P.  -  author P. D. James  (Phyllis Dorothy James)

August 3, 1920  -  November 27, 2014

0 Kudos