Reply
Super Contributor

What's everyone reading?

Hi everyone,

Thought
I'd get my thread started here on what's everyone readingI'm currently
reading John Grisham's "The Summons".  It's very interesting and I hope to finish it
sometime todayWhat's on your coffee table, nightstand or end table?

Janese

1
Kudos
4794
Views
0
Replies
65,002 Views
10046
Report
Reply
Trusted Social Butterfly

I just finished reading Jane Hawking's memoir"Travelling to Infinity,My Life with Stephen". It was a terrific book,what she went thru during their 25yr marriage was incredible She had no inkling of how her&their 3 kids lives would change forever when Stephen's disease would become more complicated. After reading this my opinion of Stephen is an ego maniac who loves being in the 'spotlight and all the publicity that comes with his fame'. His 2nd marriage to his nurse Elaine lasted only 12yrs. Jane remarried in '97,still married to husband,Jonathan. If you haven't seen the movie"The Theory Of Everything" which was excellent,read this book,its the basis of the movie Sue

Walkers Take It All In Strides
732 Views
2
Report
Reply
Recognized Social Butterfly


@doglover52 wrote:

I just finished reading Jane Hawking's memoir"Travelling to Infinity,My Life with Stephen". It was a terrific book,what she went thru during their 25yr marriage was incredible She had no inkling of how her&their 3 kids lives would change forever when Stephen's disease would become more complicated. After reading this my opinion of Stephen is an ego maniac who loves being in the 'spotlight and all the publicity that comes with his fame'. His 2nd marriage to his nurse Elaine lasted only 12yrs. Jane remarried in '97,still married to husband,Jonathan. If you haven't seen the movie"The Theory Of Everything" which was excellent,read this book,its the basis of the movie Sue


I finally saw the movie last week.  Quite good.  I did not know it was based on Jane Hawking's book.  I cannot wait to read it, thanks for the extra info.

0
Kudos
583
Views
0 Kudos
764 Views
1
Report
Reply
Regular Contributor

I have not read the book but my husband I will be seeing the movie in the near future.  Just too many books on my list right now and not enough time.  I don't want to see this site fail either and I sure miss all the conversations we had with so many people.  I'm hanging in here for the long run.  Saw this picture and wanted to share - message does not apply to this site but it is a good message.  I just liked this picture - when I was young and on summer vacation, my mother would get upset that I would spend too much time up in my bedroom reading.  I guess she was worried about me getting exercise even back in those days.

 

Its better to have your nose in a book than in some elses business.jpg

773 Views
0
Report
Reply
Trusted Social Butterfly

The book I'm about to read is "Traveling to Infinity" by Jane Hawking. She is the ex wife of scientist, Stephen Hawking,was married to him for 25yrs. Her memoir is the basis of the movie"The Theory Of Everything" which I loved and highly recommend. I read articles about them before I saw the movie. She remarried and is still with her 2nd husband. Hawking married his nurse but marriage didn't last long. I'll be interested to read what Jane has to say Sue

Walkers Take It All In Strides
691 Views
0
Report
Reply
Contributor


@bonjovi wrote:

Hi everyone,

Thought
I'd get my thread started here on what's everyone readingI'm currently
reading John Grisham's "The Summons".  It's very interesting and I hope to finish it
sometime todayWhat's on your coffee table, nightstand or end table?

Janese


I just finished a book called Cruxim.  It is about a mythological entity called a cruxim that survives by feeding on vampires.  In fact its mission in life is to destroy vampires.  During his travels he falls in love with two diffrent people.  One he loves like a daughter who ends up being turned into a vampire by his greatest enemy.  The other is a sphinx.  This is the type of books I like, paranormal romance.

Skeeter
0 Kudos
804 Views
1
Report
Reply
Recognized Social Butterfly

Goodness, its been a long time since I posted  and I do not have any new reading material to report.  However, I did get to visit Margaret Mitchell's apartment and gravesite in Atlanta and that is related to books Woman Happy.  We had a beautiful spring day for the visit.

 

I am still trying to finish Mary Queen of Scots and the Muder of Lord Darnley by Alison Weir.  It is interesting, nonfiction and very small print.  I have been at it for 6 weeks.  I am hoping to get a larger print when I rerequest from the library.  There are some other books waiting for me at the library which are easier to read so I'll report back when I pick those up.

 

I hope spring has arrived for everyone by now.  It has been a long winter.

 

 

 

0 Kudos
745 Views
0
Report
Reply
Trusted Social Butterfly

I finished reading the Johnson&Johnson book,was fascinating but it was too long at 490 pgs.

The book I'm reading now is"This Is Your Captain Speaking" memoir by TV actor,Gavin MacLeod. I like reading memoirs how actors/actresses started out before they became famous.This will be a quick read 257pgs. Sue

Walkers Take It All In Strides
0 Kudos
871 Views
5
Report
Reply
Honored Social Butterfly


@doglover52 wrote:

I finished reading the Johnson&Johnson book,was fascinating but it was too long at 490 pgs.

The book I'm reading now is"This Is Your Captain Speaking" memoir by TV actor,Gavin MacLeod. I like reading memoirs how actors/actresses started out before they became famous.This will be a quick read 257pgs. Sue


Sue,  I am wondering if you learned anything particularly interesting about Gavin MacLeod?  I know nothing about him but watched a good many episodes of "Love Boat" back in the day.  And I was a faithful fan of "The Mary Tyler Moore Show", where GM played Murray, Mary's co-worker, I believe.

 

Seems like I never like anything much that has been on the fiction best-seller list, but I have surprised myself by really getting into "Gone Girl", by Gillian Flynn.  The first 2/3 of the book were riveting;  now I am sort of skimming through the last third of the book.  I like the details the author offers, and the style in which they are offered.  I want to try another book or two by Gillian Flynn.  

 

After reading a review of  non-fiction "Hand to Mouth:  Living in Bootstrap America", by Linda Tirado, I knew I wanted to read it.  I am now 47 pages into this 195-page book and am pleased to be reading it.  She "tells it like it is".  Talk about counting your blessings - I am certainly counting mine as I read this book.

 

It is a beautiful day here in Tampa, though the temp will get up to a quite warm 85 degrees or more today.  I am still "pooped out" from my excursion to Tampa's Lowry Park Zoo yesterday, to watch the annual Orangutan Egg Hunt. (I was there all of 2 1/2 hours; that tells you how much stamina I don't have!)  Along with it being Easter weekend and the week of Passover,Tampa is busy hosting the Women's Final Four (college basketball), so main roadways are crowded, and places like the zoo and Busch Gardens and the beautiful beaches are packed.  Mention was made of visitors doing some lazy beach-reading/sunning, on the local news last night.  (That is how this paragraph ties in with the theme of  reading - all those folks lolling around at the beach, catching some rays while enjoying a good book! Smiley Wink )

 

Wishing you, Sue, and everyone, a happy read!   Pam 

 

0 Kudos
671 Views
0
Report
Reply
Regular Contributor

I got my copy of the Johnson and Johnson book from the library.  It's going to be a while before I can into that one.  I'm currently reading The Miniaturist and liking it.  It was a bit dry starting out.  Takes place in the 1600s in Amsterdam.  Then it takes a lot of twists and turns.  I'm not half way through it yet but I can't wait to go back to it.

 

0 Kudos
779 Views
3
Report
Reply
Regular Contributor

Finished The Miniaturist by Jessie Burton.  I felt it was well worth my time and I had a hard time putting it down.  I was up until 3:00 am this morning and finished it this afternoon. 

0 Kudos
747 Views
1
Report
Reply
Recognized Social Butterfly

I am reading Conspiritata by Robert Harris.  It is the 2nd novel in the series about Cicero, written like it might have been written by his personal secretary Tiro. The actual writings of Tiro about Cicero have been lost.   It is not exactly a page turner but it is a satisfying read and thankfully large print.

I  have wondered where the common Latin abrreviations such as "etc, i.e. e.g"  have come from and according to what I learned in this book, these were first used by Tiro in taking shorthand to record things for Cicero. 

702 Views
0
Report
Reply
Social Butterfly

I read multi titles at the same time but one I just picked up today-"The Right Stuff" by Tom Wolfe. I know it was a movie but I always wanted to read it. I have the bio of Gus Grissom too. Just interesting like the introduction of the book...to be willing to basically sit on an immense firecracker and have someone light the fuse. Those early astronauts had to have gonads of steel. Perhaps I'm drawn to such books because I'm too chicken to drive on the parkway...?

774 Views
0
Report
Reply
Contributor

Just finished "Summons," today, myself 🙂 I really enjoyed Grisham's "Playing for Pizza" and "A Painted House," also. Stephen King's "11/22/63," my favorite King novel. 

Ronald K. McHaney
0 Kudos
832 Views
0
Report
Reply
Trusted Contributor

I absolutely loved Edward Adrift by Craig Lancaster-- the follow-up to 600 Hours of Edward.  Wow, what a story! It sounds trite, I know, but I laughed, I cried, and I totally felt everything Edward felt. The storytelling and prose are impeccable. I love the rhythms of these two books, from Edward's routines and notations to his notes about his "favorite" words, which so often are mine, too. I miss Edward when I'm not reading about him. I highly recommend this book and its predecessor, 600 Hours of Edward. You won't regret it.

0 Kudos
875 Views
0
Report
Reply
Trusted Social Butterfly

The book I'm reading now is "Crazy Rich: Power,Scandal,Tragedy,Inside the Johnson&Johnson Dynasty" by Jerry Oppenheimer.

 I like reading these types of books,how rich&wealthy familes made their money,the fights against each other. There are always some relatives who actually get real jobs do something good,while others just use their money for anything they want. They are the ones who die too soon from drugs/alcohol or suicide. Sue

Walkers Take It All In Strides
0 Kudos
878 Views
4
Report
Reply
Regular Contributor

I like those kinds of books also, Sue.  I haven't researched the author.  Has he written more types of these books?

 

0 Kudos
849 Views
3
Report
Reply
Trusted Social Butterfly


@Angel-Sally wrote:

I like those kinds of books also, Sue.  I haven't researched the author.  Has he written more types of these books?

 


Hi Angel-Sally, the other books Jerry Oppenheimer has written are"The Other Mrs. Kennedy"-about Ethel,"State of The Union:Inside Complex Marriage of Bill&Hillary Clinton","Just Desserts"-Martha Stewart,"Front Row"-about Vogue editor in chief,Anna Wintour,"House of Hilton: from Conrad to Paris,"Toy Monster" -story of Mattel Toys,"Seinfeld:Making of an Amercian Icon","Idol" Rock Hudson,True Story of an Amercian Film Hero". The Johnson&Johnson book is fascinating,almost finished reading it Sue

Walkers Take It All In Strides
802 Views
2
Report
Reply
Regular Contributor

Sue, Those all look good.  I would start with the one you are reading now.  I'm currently still reading a book by Tami Hoag that someone here recommended called Cold, Cold Heart or somethng like that.  I'm enjoying it.  Not having as much time to read as I'd like.  Hope to finish in a couple of days because I have to read the book for book club.  I read it several years ago but don't remember mujch about it.  I'm going to check out the book club questions for that book which might help me remember more of the story.

 

0 Kudos
790 Views
1
Report
Reply
Trusted Social Butterfly


@Angel-Sally wrote:

Sue, Those all look good.  I would start with the one you are reading now.  I'm currently still reading a book by Tami Hoag that someone here recommended called Cold, Cold Heart or somethng like that.  I'm enjoying it.  Not having as much time to read as I'd like.  Hope to finish in a couple of days because I have to read the book for book club.  I read it several years ago but don't remember mujch about it.  I'm going to check out the book club questions for that book which might help me remember more of the story.

 


Hi,back in the late 90's I read 6 of Tami Hoag's books,they were all well written but I haven't read any lately including the one you mentioned. She is a good mystery writer Sue

Walkers Take It All In Strides
0 Kudos
880 Views
0
Report
Reply
Recognized Social Butterfly

My reading is going so slow these days that I hardly ever have a new book to report.  My online Latin class is getting harder and taking up much of my reading time.  I will begin reading Alison Weir's Mary, Queen of Scots and the Murder of Lord Darnley.  I am almost finished with Robert Harris's  Imperium,  a novel about Cicero's early years in politics.  Very easy and pretty good reading after a long day fighting the weather!.  It is extremely cold here in sun belt Smiley Indifferent.

 

I am thinking of Edie in Boston, who loves snow.  I guess she is  one of those that enjoys the cold too.  Not me, I want 65-70 every day.

0 Kudos
788 Views
3
Report
Reply
Regular Contributor

Hi LaDolceVita, I think about Edie also and the gentleman who was one quite a bit with us - sorry can't remember his name.  I know he had some health problems.  I hope they are both OK.  I wish they would drop in and say hello occasionally.  I just finished reading A Fault in our Stars which I enjoyed and we had a very lively book discussion at bookclub last Monday. 

 

I started another book, Mermaids in Paradise by Lydia Millet and after reading 40 pages I'm about ready to quit.  I'll give it another 10-15 pages.  I have a line-up of books to read.  If I had to comment on this book in one word, I'd say "stupid". 

 

0 Kudos
888 Views
2
Report
Reply
Recognized Social Butterfly

Hi Sally & Sue,

 

I too miss Spinner.  He indicated having memory problems in one post.  Then he disappeared and I think Edie lost interest after he no longer posted. They both had trouble with the constant changes in the site. They were fond of the dame kinds of books.  I miss Val, Paula & Gina also. They always contributed interesting tidbits, not always about books.  IMO it takes a bit of social chit chat to bring interest to a forum like this.  I am interested in people's lives as well as what they are reading, but some members  (usually the ones who didnt stick around) complained about off topic posts.

 

The Fault in Our Stars sounds very good.  I am still reading the same books I last mentioned. 

0 Kudos
887 Views
0
Report
Reply
Trusted Social Butterfly


@Angel-Sally wrote:

Hi LaDolceVita, I think about Edie also and the gentleman who was one quite a bit with us - sorry can't remember his name.  I know he had some health problems.  I hope they are both OK.  I wish they would drop in and say hello occasionally.  I just finished reading A Fault in our Stars which I enjoyed and we had a very lively book discussion at bookclub last Monday. 

 

I started another book, Mermaids in Paradise by Lydia Millet and after reading 40 pages I'm about ready to quit.  I'll give it another 10-15 pages.  I have a line-up of books to read.  If I had to comment on this book in one word, I'd say "stupid". 

 


Hi Angel-Sally,the man you were mentioning his name is Spinner. I miss him&Edie too Sue

Walkers Take It All In Strides
0 Kudos
864 Views
0
Report
Reply
Trusted Social Butterfly

I'm about to start reading"Alan Turning:The Enigma" by Andrew Hodges. Alan Turning was a Biritsh mathematician who figured out how to break German codes during WW11,also is credited for inventing the computer. This book is the basis of the movie"The Imitation Game' starring Benedict Cumberbatch. Sue 

Walkers Take It All In Strides
0 Kudos
806 Views
1
Report
Reply
Trusted Social Butterfly


@doglover52 wrote:

I'm about to start reading"Alan Turning:The Enigma" by Andrew Hodges. Alan Turning was a Biritsh mathematician who figured out how to break German codes during WW11,also is credited for inventing the computer. This book is the basis of the movie"The Imitation Game' starring Benedict Cumberbatch. Sue 


I'm having a hard time getting thru this book,author isn't good writer. I'm skipping over some parts of it,I get the gist of who Turning was. Sue

Walkers Take It All In Strides
0 Kudos
795 Views
0
Report
Reply
Newbie

Just finished "The Rosie Project" - a cute love story with a twist - its funny, light and a quick read. Another I also just finished " The Art Of Driving In The Rain". Being a dog lover I loved reading this book told from a dog's point of view about his life with his family. Well written and touching.

0 Kudos
967 Views
3
Report
Reply
Trusted Social Butterfly


@kt7765 wrote:

Just finished "The Rosie Project" - a cute love story with a twist - its funny, light and a quick read. Another I also just finished " The Art Of Driving In The Rain". Being a dog lover I loved reading this book told from a dog's point of view about his life with his family. Well written and touching.


Hi kt7765,I  loved Garth Stein's book "The Art of Driving in The Rain',am also life long dog lover. Another book I recommend which is similar to Stein's which I loved is  "Merle's Door:Lessons From a Free Thinking Dog' by Ted Kerote. The author finds a stray rhodesian ridgeback dog on a canoe trip in Utah,names the dog Merle.It is also well written& touching at the end Sue

Walkers Take It All In Strides
0 Kudos
825 Views
0
Report
Reply
Regular Contributor

kt7765 - The Rosie books - I've noted them both.  Looks like light reading and I'm about ready for some of that.  I'm way behind in my reading - I have a stack lined up to read but may return some of them to the library unread.  I'm trying to pack too much into a day.

0 Kudos
869 Views
0
Report
Reply
Trusted Contributor

I loved The Rosit! e Project! Just finished its sequel, The Rosie Effect and it was wonderful, too. I do recommend them--fun reading.

0 Kudos
901 Views
0
Report
Reply
Trusted Contributor

I loved Becky Masterman's award-winning first book in this series, RAGE AGAINST THE DYING, about a retired middle-aged FBI special agent trying to live a quiet life in Arizona as a newlywed. How refreshing to have as a protagonist a strong, smart, middle-aged woman with an impressive law-enforcement background. I thoroughly enjoyed this second in the series, too. Brigid Quinn's multi-faceted character develops even more fully in this sequel as she takes on some private investigations while trying to fit into civilian life and enjoy married life. Not only is the storyline and characterization intriguing, the writing is impeccable. I have a feeling this book will rack up even more accolades and awards for Becky Masterman. Highly recommended.

0 Kudos
981 Views
1
Report
Reply